+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Inland ( Common Law)

Azzil

Apr 30, 2015
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my case and a couple extra questions? :)

Background
-I am an international student graduate from Algonquin College in Ontario. (Been here since 2011)
- I have received my post graduate work permit.
- Never had any documents refused.
- I currently live with my Canadian boyfriend in Ottawa.
- Permit valid till 2017
- Private insurance (me and my boyfriend have our own)
- We don't have life insurance
- Application to be submitted in October

Sponsorship (Inland)
First Question:
- I have been living with my boyfriend for a year but the apartment is signed under his name even before I moved in. I started paying rent 6 months after we started living together because of job hunting and moving from small contracts to other small contracts. He has the money to support both of us including the 6 month period. When I started paying rent I did it through interact transfer to HIS account and not directly to the landlord. The question here is, will it be enough to proof by letter what happen through the first six months and proof he had the funds, plus showing the money transfer through my bank account and his??
Second Question
- During the first six month of living together even though I didn't pay rent I did pay the internet and did most of the groceries. Now we have evenly divided our expenses. The question here is, will it be enough proof to show that I did enough contribution to the household by showing receipts? or a letter from both of us agreeing that I have
Third question
- We have a joint bank account, but we've only had it for less than 7 months. Will this still count? Or do we have to wait a year with the account before we can use it as a proof that we've been living together?
Fourth Question
- What other proof can we use in our advantage? - Our tax returns where done separate because he had it done in quebec due to previous jobs. In other words, different addresses.

-- We have other proof like pictures, messages, friends, family, we even work at the same job in different departments.
-- We will have an engage ceremony this summer, will this help with proof? I know it doesn't make a difference but could it help?
-- Please let me know what can I do as for now in order to get my papers right and accepted.

Work Permit after submitting PR application
First Question:
We will apply in October 2015, my permit expires summer 2017, will it be possible for me to apply for an extension? or will it be difficult to have it accepted? Will it be enough time to know if my PR was approved before my permit expires?
Second Question:
I have a valid temporary resident visa, if the work permit doesn't work can I remain in Canada as far as my application is being processed? Can I extend my visa until I get the PR?

I apologize for all this questions! I want to do it right and I need advice before we even start submitting.

Thank you. :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You really should consider submitting an Outland application (which you can do, even if you are IN Canada), because it's usually much faster than an Inland application. Inland is taking > 2 years, while a lot of Outland applicants are DONE in < 1 year (depending on where you are from).

To answer your questions:

1. No. Without something in writing from the landlord or property manager stating that you've been there from [date], this does nothing to prove that your cohabiting there together. Proving this is the most important piece of the common-law sponsorship puzzle!

2. No, because without having proof of cohabiting it's pretty useless.

3. Yes, because CIC doesn't need to know when the account was opened. Simply include a past bank statement, or ask your bank to print out something showing both names on the account.

4. Search this forum to find a lot of helpful posts on what you can include, but having proof of joint tenancy is going to be paramount! Hopefully, you have mail that was delivered to each/both of you for the last year that you can include (copies of the envelopes, usually).

Regarding your WP...a PGWP cannot be extended. If you do decide to submit an Inland application (yikes), you could include an Open Work Permit (OWP) with the application, which would give you `implied status', allowing you to remain in Canada, but may NOT allow you to work beyond the expiry of the PGWP. Once you have the OWP, you could work [almost] anywhere.

Seriously consider an Outland application.

Azzil

Apr 30, 2015
Thank you so much!

But wouldn't it be the same if it was an outland application? By that I mean that I still need documentation that states that we are leaving together unless we get married and he sponsor me as his spouse?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Absolutely, because the requirements (including proof of the relationship) are the same; the difference is the processing times (and that an OWP is not available with an Outland application). It's a moot point, since you'll likely have PR lonnnnnng before your PGWP expires in the Summer of 2017...perhaps a year earlier if you apply Outland.

Just curious...why are you waiting until October to apply? Is it because you're convinced that you can't prove cohabiting prior to October of last year?

Azzil

Apr 30, 2015
Yes,

I was unsure whether I had enough documents that proof of our common law relationship so I postponed to October (I schedule everything in my life just to be organized) in case I needed to re-do everything. I want to be well informed before I rush into things and I was a bit nervous because of our situation. Me not being on the lease, do we need extra documents, like police check or medical exam, etc.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All applicants need medical and police checks (not the sponsor, just the PR applicant).

Spend some time (a lot of time) reading through this forum to get a better understanding of what is truly involved...which is quite a bit, but certainly manageable.

Good luck!