+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship for 2 years old child

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I and my wife are both PR, and my wife is staying at Canada right now while I am working in my home country. My wife is going to apply sponsorship to our child, which is about 2 years old, we understand that the processing time may need about 1 year.

Since our child will move to Canada in coming coming month (Oct 2018), his passport could only allow him to stay within Canada for 180 days, we would like to know if we need to apply temporary resident visa for our child or any other type so that he can stay more than 180 days.

Anyone can share or have similar experience. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Were you able to get a TRV for your child? If you did and you child can enter Canada you can apply to extend his visitor status while in Canada. Depending on where you live your child may not have access to healthcare so you should purchase coverage to cover any emergencies.

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
Why hasn't your wife started the sponsorship process if she is already in Canada?
we are going to apply that. and I need to make sure if the TRV application for my child is required before mailing the submission to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
we are going to apply that. and I need to make sure if the TRV application for my child is required before mailing the submission to Canada.
No you don't need a TRV to start the sponsorship. I can be quite challneging to get a TRV for your child. If you don't get it you can try a TRP but you may not be granted a visitor visa for your child.