+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring your Spouse

mrsskittles

Jul 1, 2014
Hello everyone. My husband and I recently got married six months ago here in the Philippines. He is a Permanent Visa Holder in Canada and is currently living here in the Philippines with me. He intends to stay here in the until my Spousal Visa is ready so we can leave for Canada. We read a couple of forums here about sponsoring a spouse but there are a couple of things we are unsure about. We have the forms filled-up and we have all the necessary documents needed for this Visa. However, someone told us that my husband is not qualified since he is living here with me. So we would like to know a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible for my husband to stay here in the Philippines with me while the visa is being processed?
2. Is it true that he needs to have an active job in Canada for him to apply?
3. Does he need to be in Canada for him to process the Visa?

If anybody can help us out, it would mean the world to us. We are hoping for a feedback.

Thank you so much. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - unfortunately he can't. Since your husband is a PR he must be living in Canada when he submits the application to sponsor you and must continue living in Canada for the entire time the application is being processed. Occasional short trips (2-3 weeks) outside of Canada are OK. If he leaves for longer, your application may be refused since he is no longer residing in Canada.
2. No - he doesn't need to have a job. But he can't be on welfare / social assistance.
3. Yes - he must be in Canada. This is mandatory.

mrsskittles

Jul 1, 2014
Thank you so much for this information. We can now make a decision from here on out. What is the time frame for when you are sponsoring a spouse? We have all our papers ready and I guess we will be purchasing a ticket soon enough.