+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring wife wants a divorce

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
Hi
I never thought I would be asking these questions, but here I am asking it with a broken heart. I received my PR and landed in Canada last September. My sponsoring wife who I have been married for over 7 years and have a 5 year old daughter with, is now telling me that she wants a divorce. I have been here only 3 months and I don't know what to do. Didn't notice this was coming. I can't visualise what she had in mind all through this application process. When I asked her, she told me that she hoped she could fix it but now that I am here in Canada she realises she can't do it.

I know once I have my PR, I can individually live in Canada and that she has signed a 3 year agreement. Emotionally I just want to leave here and not come back again. However I don't have it in me to stay away from my daughter. I have very difficult decisions to make. I just want to know if there is anyway of releasing her of her agreement as It doesn't feel right to have a bond like that once we are divorced. Where can I find information about divorce in Canada? How will this effect my future life in Canada, if I decide to stay. Thanks for any insights.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't release her from her sponsorship agreement. That is between her and immigration but as long as you don't go on social assistance, she will not have to pay anything because of you. Try to get a job asap so you will have money to get yourself a place to live. Once you are a PR, you are a PR so the divorce will not have any effect on your PR status.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Leon is right - as difficult as what you're going through is, it has nothing to do with your PR status. It's just unfortunate that it came right after you finally landed - after what may have been a long, stressful process. If it was - that's hard on even the strongest relationship.

The important thing is that you have a child in Canada, so that should be reason enough to stay and make a life for yourself. Like anyone else facing the break-up of a marriage, your heart is broken - but you will move on and life can be good again. Be there for your little girl, know that your wife's contract with immigration over her sponsorship of you is not an issue as long as you don't collect social assistance, and just put one foot in front of the other. Right now, as you said, you are hurt and you feel like running away . . . but your daughter needs you - and you (especially) need her. Try to remain amicable with your wife, and who knows . . . the future is yet to be written.

M

med

i dont think divorce will ever affect ur pr status but i hope would never go for it , wish u all the best

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Ofcourse you are heartbroken. Divorce even in the best of situations, it is a sad a event. You married each other for love and now that love is no longer alive. Be assured that your legal standing in Canada will have no bearing in your possible divorce. You are landed, it is finished.
Now what you need to focus is on getting a job and getting enough money to live, to get a bachelor or a one bedroom apartment, near your wife, so your child's life is not upset TOO much.

Think of your daughter and yourself. You two are now the PRIORITY. When you talk to your wife about the divorce, try not to do it in front your little girl (I assume she is under 7 yrs old) because they understand everything and it affects them so.

As a mother who is divorced, I strongly suggest you try to keep everything civil, even though you might be very very angry. Let it go, because sooner or later, you will HAVE to let it go.
In a few years you might be surprised to realize that this was the best for everyone. More often than not, that is the way it turns out.

Best,

A