+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring PR for Dependent Child (US Born)

Oilers

Jan 15, 2013
I am in the process of completing PR sponsorship for my dependent child and have few questions:
- My family and I are currently in Canada and the child doesn't require a visa to be in the country. What can I provide as a proof of his status? There is no entry stamp in his passport. He came in to the country as a lap child and doesn't have a boarding pass in his name. We have him listed on our rental lease, will it be an acceptable document for application purposes?
- From PR application timelines under dependent child program, it appears the whole process will take around 10 months. He can be in the country for 6 months since his arrival. Can we request for extension of his stay? What is the process of it? What are the chances of him being given extension of the stay. He is 8 months old and US passport holder.
- Anything else that we should keep in mind?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Provide a copy of the child passport, to show his visa exempt visitor "Status"....the child is visa-exempt, and no stamp is not a problem, IRCC could lookup his travel history in Canada if needed.

Dependent child sponsorship process takes from 6 to 9months to complete.

Chances of visa extension for US citizens is good.....you can apply for visit extension......refer.....Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor

Apply – Extend your stay

For sponsorship forms, document checklist.......refer.......Get your checklist, forms and instructions......My dependent child only...option.

Jiro

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
Doc's Request.
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2018
I am guessing that the entire family are PR's of Canada?

You could always flagpole to renew his visitor status. But visa extension will be the best way to ensure that he stays in country with you.