+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my spouse raising questions about my own citizenship

Sphinx

Feb 19, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen and moved back to Canada Aug 2006 after studying abroad. I have worked in Canada from Sept to the end of Nov 2006. I got married overseas in Jan 2007. I am due to go in to my previous job this week. So income shouldn't be a problem for me.

The only thing is that in the application to sponsor and undertaking it asks when I became a citizen, and I am not sure of the exact date. I do know it was in 1997 when I was a minor. I do have the date on which I became a permanent resident but lost the certificate on which the citizenship date was listed.

I checked on the governments immigration site and there is a way to find out but it leaves me $75 lighter and takes about 2 months(time which I don't really have).

Can I just fill in the year and explain why I don't have an exact date(would this affect my application to sponsor?) or would it be better to wait the 2 months?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Sphinx

eria

Jan 22, 2007
I think you can apply for the duplicate of that document from embassy, if this is not the case, then better to leave this matter until you got one (after two months as you said)

hbrereton

Mar 7, 2007
I feel my rights as a CANADIAN CITIZEN has been understated and abused.

I feel that Immigration Canada has become like a business more so then a humanitarian patriot to the world. Immigration Canada no longer sees the people in the story, just the benfits the story has for their own publicity. If they can't sustain a dramatic image of a heart-warming responsible governemnt who chooses for its people, then they are just the same as any other corrupt government trying to fool the world in greys black and white stories.

I have been married with a wonderful man from Ukraine for 4 years, and been in love for 7 years. Quality relationships are hard to find and real love is a rare diamond. I can't begin to explain the pain I feel everyday, everyday, I wake up and feel dead. Sometimes it's all I think about. But Immigration Canada doesn't see the people, they don't see us. They see numbers and papers and too much filing. What happened to the great Canadian Human Rights? Is being married to a non-Canadian Citizen suddenly relinqueshes your rights as a Canadian citizen? I am Canadian, so what does that mean today?