+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Husband

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hopefully you guys can help with this. I recently go PR and married a month after. I'm looking into sponsoring my husband, however i'm a bit confused about the new rules regarding living with your spouse for two years after receiving PR. The website says that if you've been in a relationship for less than two years and don't have any children you have to live together. My question is if I'm been in a relationship for 5 years before getting married and my marriage will only be a couple months old when sending in his application would we have to live together once he gets pr? I;m just worried be cause me may need to leave to finish a semester of school after landing .

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
seab said:
Hopefully you guys can help with this. I recently go PR and married a month after. I'm looking into sponsoring my husband, however i'm a bit confused about the new rules regarding living with your spouse for two years after receiving PR. The website says that if you've been in a relationship for less than two years and don't have any children you have to live together. My question is if I'm been in a relationship for 5 years before getting married and my marriage will only be a couple months old when sending in his application would we have to live together once he gets pr? I;m just worried be cause me may need to leave to finish a semester of school after landing .
You are supposed to live together after becoming PR, but for specific reasons like school, employment, family issues etc, it's acceptable to live apart temporarily. In all honesty, as long as you don't actually separate or divorce, you will have no problems. CIC will most likely only be investigating separations that have been reported to them to enforce the 2-year rule.

You mention you have been in a relationship 5 years before getting PR. I hope you did not actually live with your partner for 1 continuous year at any time during this relationship, or else you would already be officially common-law and should have declared him in your own PR application. In some cases, people with long relationships that have gotten PR have run into problems with this as CIC tries to claim they should have declared the relationship before landing.

xei

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Hi there... I'm sponsoring my hubby too. I'm concern regarding his son from previous marriage because he is legally annulled now. I'm wondering if he needs to include him in the medical even if his son is in custody of his mother and is not living with him? Another thing is that, if he needs to take the medical exam to include the results in submitting all documents to cic-mississauga? Because i thought he will only be requested to take medical exam when visa office will tell him to do so. If he needs to take the medical now, what does he need to show the doctors? i didnt see any procedure in the kit provided accdg to the country

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
xei said:
Hi there... I'm sponsoring my hubby too. I'm concern regarding his son from previous marriage because he is legally annulled now. I'm wondering if he needs to include him in the medical even if his son is in custody of his mother and is not living with him? Another thing is that, if he needs to take the medical exam to include the results in submitting all documents to cic-mississauga? Because i thought he will only be requested to take medical exam when visa office will tell him to do so. If he needs to take the medical now, what does he need to show the doctors? i didnt see any procedure in the kit provided accdg to the country
Your husband should include his son and get him a medical. If he doesn't do it now, he will NEVER be able to sponsor his son. Ever. So even if the plan for now is not to get his son to come with him, you never know, maybe in 10 years (provided he is under 22) he wants to sponsor him - and if the medicals are not done now with his own PR, he won't be able to do it later. So yes - put him as "non accompanying dependent" and get him examined. Explain to the mother (if she is not willing to cooperate) that if it is not done now, it will create troubles in the future - and getting the son examined now doesn't mean that he has to come to Canada. It won't change anything for the son - just leave the door open for a future sponsorship, if it comes to that.
For the medicals - yes, he needs to do it now. Pick a doctor close to where he lives, have him phone to book an appointment, and that's it. He will be required to bring in some pictures (check with the doctor how many), and at the end he will be given a form that proves that he has done the medicals - he includes that in his application to Mississauga.
Good luck,
Sweden

xei

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Sweden said:
Your husband should include his son and get him a medical. If he doesn't do it now, he will NEVER be able to sponsor his son. Ever. So even if the plan for now is not to get his son to come with him, you never know, maybe in 10 years (provided he is under 22) he want to sponsor him - and if the medicals are not done now with his own PR, he won't be able to do it later. So yes - put him as "non accompanying dependent" and get him examined. Explain to the mother (if she is not willing to cooperate) that if it is not done now, it will create troubles in the future - and getting the son examined now doesn't mean that he has to come to Canada. It won't change anything for the son - just leave the door open for a future sponsorship, if it comes to that.
For the medicals - yes, he needs to do it now. Pick a doctor close to where he lives, have him phone to book an appointment, and that's it. He will be required to bring in some pictures (check with the doctor how many), and at the end he will be given a form that proves that he has done the medicals - he includes that in his application to Mississauga.
Good luck,
Sweden
Thanks for the advice sweden! very much appreciated :)

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
THanks for the advice. WE haven't lived together during our relationship since i've been here doing me undergrad and he was back home.