sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
Good day

A month back I recently landed in Canada as a PR and now would like to start the process for sponsoring my husband and children to get their PR as well under Family class

I had applied for a PR alone since it gave more points but at the same time I had shown my family on my application as "not accompanying".

If anyone went through the same process or knows of how to proceed with this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

I am reading through the literature given on the same on the IRCC website but some practical experience would really help especially with the financial undertaking bit.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
What part is not clear? Ask questions and we'll help you out.

The financial undertaking is simply a legal promise you make to the Canadian government that states that you will repay any welfare funds your family may take in a certain time period. Three years for your husband, and 10 years/till your child turns 22, whichever comes first.

Note that welfare doesn't mean things like scholarships, employment insurance, healthcare, etc.

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
What part is not clear? Ask questions and we'll help you out.

The financial undertaking is simply a legal promise you make to the Canadian government that states that you will repay any welfare funds your family may take in a certain time period. Three years for your husband, and 10 years/till your child turns 22, whichever comes first.

Note that welfare doesn't mean things like scholarships, employment insurance, healthcare, etc.
Thank you for your response.
When you say a legal promise does it mean that I have to show proof of work or something because I also read that as far as sponsoring is concerned I don't have to show anything financial like a bank statement and such. if it is only a legal document where can I get this from? do I have to approach a lawyer?
Also, I have to submit sponsorship papers and their PR papers together will this be done on the same portal as EE?
I had used an agent to get my PR and they had created an account for me but I would like to do this on my own so would I have to make another profile or should I have to use the same one for which I got my PR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for your response.
When you say a legal promise does it mean that I have to show proof of work or something because I also read that as far as sponsoring is concerned I don't have to show anything financial like a bank statement and such. if it is only a legal document where can I get this from? do I have to approach a lawyer?
Also, I have to submit sponsorship papers and their PR papers together will this be done on the same portal as EE?
I had used an agent to get my PR and they had created an account for me but I would like to do this on my own so would I have to make another profile or should I have to use the same one for which I got my PR?
1. The undertaking is simply a form that you sign. The form is part of the sponsorship package that you will download from the IRCC website. No, you do not have to show any financial documents.
2. Sponsorship applications are paper-based. You will fill the PDF forms on your computers, print them out, sign them, and mail them to IRCC.

All of this is explained in the guide. Read it carefully and you should understand the process. It's pretty straightforward.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can also use a registered immigration consultant if you are willing to pay someone to help. It's not impossible to do it yourself, but if you're very busy with work, and perhaps trying to settle in here, a consultant might be worth it.

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
thank you so much for your reply.I was finding it difficult to download the forms due to some technical error. that is why I didn't know what the form was.
Got it now.

will go through them now.

i will keep in mind about the consultants though for the moment I would prefer to do it myself.

Thank you again.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
thank you so much for your reply.I was finding it difficult to download the forms due to some technical error. that is why I didn't know what the form was.
Got it now.

will go through them now.

i will keep in mind about the consultants though for the moment I would prefer to do it myself.

Thank you again.
Yes, it's certainly possible to do it yourself. Take it step by step, and make sure you ask questions about things you're unsure about - these forums are a good source of information for applications that are relatively simple.

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
Sponsorship Evaluation (IMM 5481)
Who needs to fill out this form?
The sponsor fills out this form if sponsoring only a dependent child who has no dependent children of their own.

Question 3

Write your net (after taxes) personal income for the 12 months before the date of your application. Also, write the dates of that 12-month period.

Regarding the above-mentioned form and question: I have two children and they don't have dependents of their own so I am guessing I will have to fill out this form. My question is, it's only been one month and a few days since I landed in Canada as a PR and am still don't have any income as such to show in Canada while I fill up this form. Can I show my income details from where I was previously or does it have to be of Canada itself which would mean that I have to wait for a year before I can apply for my family's PR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Sponsorship Evaluation (IMM 5481)
Who needs to fill out this form?
The sponsor fills out this form if sponsoring only a dependent child who has no dependent children of their own.

Question 3

Write your net (after taxes) personal income for the 12 months before the date of your application. Also, write the dates of that 12-month period.

Regarding the above-mentioned form and question: I have two children and they don't have dependents of their own so I am guessing I will have to fill out this form. My question is, it's only been one month and a few days since I landed in Canada as a PR and am still don't have any income as such to show in Canada while I fill up this form. Can I show my income details from where I was previously or does it have to be of Canada itself which would mean that I have to wait for a year before I can apply for my family's PR?
You can give the prior income. It doesn't really matter since children are exempt from the financial requirement. IRCC wants to see whether you have enough savings/income to make sure you aren't totally destitute. If you can show that, you're fine.

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
For the part in the Generic form where it says the 'current country of residence', they ask for from and to dates. What do I put in for the 'to' part of it since I may take time to fill out the forms and the date will change at the time of application from when I fill the form. Do I do that just right before the my husband and I sign the forms? I am not filling in my forms by hand.

Is also ok to sign the forms at my end, scan them and send them to my husband in India and then he signs, scans and send it back?