+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Egyptian Spouse

DinaM

Jan 23, 2008
Greetings,

I was born in Canada. Two and a half years ago my spouse and I met online. I have been to Egypt three times with my two children from a previous marriage and have had nikka since my first arrival. We lived in his family home each time I visited. Each stay was just under six months. I would like to add that I homeschool my children ~ so education is not the issue. We have finally decided to have a civil Egyptian marriage this January 2008 and have followed all the steps as provided by the Canadian Embassy in Egypt. We would like for my husband to travel to Canada, as we have decided to buy a home/business there this time when I return. I would like to know, can I start the sponsorship process now while I am still in Egypt on my tourist visa? I will be returning again to Canada in May. I obviously do not have a steady job in Canada since I am an entrepreneur and have taken a sabbatical to travel and homeschool. I am not in receipt of social assistance while in Canada, but I do not presently have a great income. Will I be disqualified against because of present lack of income at the moment, although we will be self-employed when I return?
How long will the process take? Many thanks for your replies.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You really need to start the application process from Canada, unless you want to spend the entire time in Egypt.

It doesn't matter that you don't currently have a job - you just need to not be on social assistance.

The in-Canada portion of your sponsorship takes about 50 days.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship

The Cairo portion of your husband's application for PR as a spouse is currently taking 8 months for 80% of cases to be finalized.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

DinaM

Jan 23, 2008
Dear thaiguy,

Many thanks for the information. I wondered if it is possible for me then, since I am currently in Egypt, for my husband and I to complete the forms and send them from Egypt to the Canadian processing office, since the process must be initiated in Canada?

Canadian-loyal

Sep 13, 2007
DinaM said:
Dear thaiguy,

Many thanks for the information. I wondered if it is possible for me then, since I am currently in Egypt, for my husband and I to complete the forms and send them from Egypt to the Canadian processing office, since the process must be initiated in Canada?
Dina

As a Cnd citizen you can sponsor your husband while living abroad (only PR of Canada who must reside in Canada during the sponsorship process). The out of Canada applications are always sent to CPC-M for approval (1st stage). Then after approval, applications are sent to the appropriate Embassy office. In your case it would be in Cairo. Normally the outside sponsorship is faster. Also you can appeal the refusal decision (God forbid)...you can't do this for the in-Canada application. One other point is that you will not be able to sponsor him from inside Canada because the chance for him to get visitor visa is almost nill.
Good luck

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
DinaM said:
Dear thaiguy,

Yes, you send the sponsorship application into Mississauga and then, when you get it back, you send it along with your husband's application for PR to Cairo.

Canadian-loyal

Sep 13, 2007
thaiguy said:
Yes, you send the sponsorship application into Mississauga and then, when you get it back, you send it along with your husband's application for PR to Cairo.
thaiguy,

There is a misunderstanding in your statement. The whole application is normally sent to Mississauga (CPC-M). Once the application is reviewed and the sponsor (Dina) is approved, CPC-M normally send the same application to the relevant embassy (local office) i.e. CPC-M would NOT send the application back to Dina but directly to Cairo office.