+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring a sister?

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
My wife has a sister (approx 30yrs old) who, unless she has the good fortune of finding a good husband, we are most likely going to be supporting in the years to come. We thought it would be nice if we could sponsor her to move to Canada, to stay with/near us, and to be able to find suitable work to take care of herself.

Is there a way to make this happen? I've seen that you can sponsor your PARENTS (and that the parent can then include the sister in the application... but does that include adult children?), but I haven't noticed a way to directly sponsor a sibling. Surely many of us have tried to do the same... ideas?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Lifer said:
My wife has a sister (approx 30yrs old) who, unless she has the good fortune of finding a good husband, we are most likely going to be supporting in the years to come. We thought it would be nice if we could sponsor her to move to Canada, to stay with/near us, and to be able to find suitable work to take care of herself.

Is there a way to make this happen? I've seen that you can sponsor your PARENTS (and that the parent can then include the sister in the application... but does that include adult children?), but I haven't noticed a way to directly sponsor a sibling. Surely many of us have tried to do the same... ideas?
You can only sponsor a sibling if they're an orphan under 18 or if you don't have any close living relatives (spouse, children, parents, grandparents). Some provinces have programs where you can sponsor a member of your extended family, based on a job offer in the province, but not BC as far as I can tell.

So it will have to be based on your sister-in-law's own qualifications, although she can get points for having relatives in Canada. Have a look at the "Strategic Occupations" program in BC:

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/index.page

By the way, I've replied in your previous thread.