+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored husband,landed-need social assistance?

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I am sponsoring my husband under the family class. I was overseas for 10 years working. We landed in April with our child. He is working but at minimum wage and I am still unemployed. We are having a hard time making ends meet. I called social services and they said my daughter and I are allowed to get social assistance but he isn't. I am still unsure and I don't want to default on our sponsorship agreement and then have to pay it back but they are telling me that it is ok.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you sponsored your husband?

Well the correct answer is if you are the sponsor you can get welfare and you don't have to pay back since you were not the one that was sponsored and presently not under any sponsor agreement ie if you were sponsored by a parent that is a 10 yr agreement compared to the 3 yr agreement for the spousal sponsorship.

The agreement is basically the peron being sponsored not going on welfare as the sponsor would have to pay back before they are eligible to sponsor anyone else.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
His new job is in a restaurant. They have promised him X salary but there is no contract and he it isn't the end of the month yet so we don't even know if he will get what they promised. Would social assistance take that into consideration?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not an expert on social assistance BUT i do know if you are "single" when you apply you get more money but if you are married u get less and being married would mean 2 income so they could factor in his income and give you less

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kedeisha said:
I am not an expert on social assistance BUT i do know if you are "single" when you apply you get more money but if you are married u get less and being married would mean 2 income so they could factor in his income and give you less
1. The OP said that she is sponsoring her spouse, so we have to assume that he is not "landed"
2. So if she goes on welfare, then the sponsorship will most likely be refused.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi PMM she says "He is working but at minimum wage and I am still unemployed. We are having a hard time making ends meet."

so I assumed he was landed and she can start the welfare process.

I guess more info is needed from OP if her husband is landed yet

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
if they are married....they have to collect welfare/social assistance as a family therefore my thought process if he has landed is that she can not collect welfare because his name as a spouse would have to go on the file, which means she would have to repay it....

That's been my experience/knowledge of social assistance anyways...that when you have a married couple they HAVE to put both spouses names on the application....even with a non immigrant spouse in Ontario anyways you have to include their income on Child Care subsidy, even if you just got married and they are not his kids...where I am at in Ontario it is all done through the same departments....

Thats just my thoughts tho...

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thats why i put "single" in quotations hopefully she knows what that mean welfare should be the last option but if your family needs it go on it