Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
steerpike said:
"unlawfully obtaining money"

Welfare is not an unlawful way to obtain money.
To make threats or coerce someone is.

Basically: If you don't do what I want, I will injury you financially. That is a threat based on money. The sponsor having to repay welfare is money.

Let's examine an extreme, unusual, but plausible circumstance... Let's say Spouse A makes this threat towards Spouse B, the sponsor. "Leave me alone, give me my divorce, or I will go on welfare and you will have to repay it." B has good connections or people skills and takes written proof of this threat to the government. It goes through various people until it lands on the desk of the Immigration Minister. He orders an investigation into the fraudulent marriage... given the current minister, it seems likely he would. Based on the threats A has made towards B, B is considered more truthful and paints herself as a victim. A gets painted as a criminal. The government declares he was in a MOC and revokes his PR. Yes, he could appeal and would most likely win.... but he does want to have to deal with that? Engaging in criminal activity opens yourself up to great risks.

Is that likely to happen? No. But could it? Yes, especially with the current government. They seem to enjoy martyrs.

He's better off to have a lawyer prepare a cease and desist letter and cut off all contact. File for divorce when legally allowed in his province and move on with his life.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
scos said:
Point 2 is stupid anyway. Welfare doesn't pay enough for a good life. So if he is already working you are saying he could quit his job and live a much poorer life for revenge? And if he goes on while retaining his employment he is guilty of welfare fraud. The correct way is leave. Divorce her. And if she becomes harassing, get a restraining order. And if at some point he does NEED to go on welfare or unemployment, then do so out of necessity, not revenge.
Not to mention he made a promise to make every attempt to support himself. Going on welfare just to punish his sponsor is a clear violation of that promise.

Tipha

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna (principle applicant)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-May-2012 (rec. 22-May-2012)
AOR Received.
27-August-2012 Vienna
File Transfer...
12-July-2012
Med's Done....
02-March-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
19-Sep-2012 (rec. 27-Sep-2012)
LANDED..........
09-Nov-2012
First i want to mention, violence by women is more often than you all think, it's just not talked about as much. There's a lot of women that are very dominant and able to play mind games without using violence too.
But besides that....didn't you already know about her condition before you married her? Or about all her background and her story? You made a tough decision then to want to live with such a person even if sometimes you feel love could set things right and want to help the person you love. Still she also has chosen to be with you and to sponsor you , as many said before she cant just take away your PR like that. And you have proof of it, if they decide to check on it if she reports you and i guess a doctor could confirm her condition too, if it is as you say, then there's no threat for you even if she tries to make you believe that. Don't threat her with anything though or be disrespectful, keep the contact to a minimum!

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013
1. this person is no longer responding.

2. they got the advice they sought

3. stop arguing over this petty mess and blaming someone for things you dislike about this process. it's hard to immigrate, people will always try to cut corners. that's life. tough crap.

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
sounion said:
1. this person is no longer responding.

2. they got the advice they sought

3. stop arguing over this petty mess and blaming someone for things you dislike about this process. it's hard to immigrate, people will always try to cut corners. that's life. tough crap.
You do realize this whole thread is still less than a day old? They may not have come back to read the answers yet. Stop trying to regulate conversations. If you don't want to be in it, then don't. While I agree that most of what needed to be said has been said, I don't speak for everyone. Don't presume to do so yourself.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
amikety said:
To make threats or coerce someone is.
I disagree, its like saying "If you dont stop calling me, im going to block your number." That is a threat, with a follow-thru action. But because the request and the action are both legal, its not blackmail. I am free to block your number on my phone at anytime I want. He is also free to go on welfare. It's not an illegal act and he is not requesting his wife to perform an illegal act.

Another example:

"If you dont put pink frosting on them, i'm not going to eat any of those cupcakes." It's a threat but its not blackmail.

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
I think the government might disagree with the abuse of the welfare system for personal ends.

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
It would be much more pleasant around here if people stopped with the
"true love does X,Y & Z" style comments
and the
"you people make immigration so much harder" comments.

As for threatening the ex with welfare? Jeez. No. ???

OP: speak to a lawyer and file for divorce, or sign her papers if she has already filed if that's what you want. You can apply for a peace bond if you fear for your safety and can prove that your ex is a threat. Your status as PR will not be affected as you landed before the new rules came about.

buiatti

Jan 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, lots of stuff here to read today.

Regarding welfare, it will be only used as LAST resource to live. I do not want to use it as revenge, nor even to get a living. I'm still trying to find a job, and I'm doing everything that is possible to keep myself alive, spending the less money as possible.

About knowing she was like that when I came, and when we got married, it was impossible to see it coming. She behaved like a really loving woman, and was patient from the time I arrived, till 4 months after we got married, when things started getting like crazy, and she started insulting me at least once a day, plus all the screaming and cursing in the house. I did my best to hold on that, but during the last big crisis (two weeks ago) she even attempted to push me down the stairs, and made me give up. Sorry, but I do not want to be killed for a relation.

Even her mother that came from France to visit us last fall, was not able to spend more than one week with us, and went away really sad with the way she was treated by her own daughter.

And again, thanks everybody for all the valuable information shared with me.

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
steerpike said:
1. People like you are the exact reason CIC is making it harder on the rest of us. You personally have made my life in Canada more difficult. Thank you.

2. If your story is true, then simply send her a letter stating that she is not to contact you again or you will go on welfare and she will be responsible for paying all of it for the next few years. Have no more contact with her after that (except thru a lawyer to file for divorce).

3. Thank you for making my life harder.
I disagree with 1 and 3 and agree with others that the welfare threat is not a good move. But mostly, it's not people like HIM that are making it harder on the rest of us.. it's people like his WIFE. HE married her and got his PR and HE lived with her. HE did not leave her as soon as he got his PR and cause his wife to be upset and file a complaint. It was HER that changed (be it due to an unfortunate mental illness or anger problem) and it is HER that is asking for divorce as the sponsor. It is SPONSOR'S like this that piss me off, not the applicants, because these sponsors swear on every form they can that they will support their spouse if only CIC will please oh please give them PR.. and then the marriage dissolves and they want to cry foul against the applicant or CIC. THAT makes it harder for us. When SHE complains to CIC that her marriage was a fraud (even though it does not appear to be, she's just pissed that her marriage failed and she can't revoke his PR) and CIC increases their diligence on marriage fraud due to complaints from scorned sponsors, then the rest of us suffer with longer wait times, more interviews, etc trying to crack down on this rampant immigration fraud. Now, while I acknowledge that it exists and is TERRIBLE for the sponsor that is fooled, there are a lot of cases like this where the sponsor cries wolf when things don't work out in a fairytale ending and THAT makes it harder on us.

So I don't blame the OP for making it harder. Simply, if the sponsor is not completely sure their marriage is real or is not willing to face the consequences if it turns out they were duped, then they should never sign that sponsor agreement. The OP seems to have been in a legit marriage and has spent quite a few years with his wife, where as if he was a fraud he would have just bailed the second he got PR.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MissDominica said:
The OP seems to have been in a legit marriage and has spent quite a few years with his wife, where as if he was a fraud he would have just bailed the second he got PR.
But that's exactly what he's doing. A few days after getting PR, he suddenly wants a divorce.

Kiwi12

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived AIP:February 13, 2013
LANDED..........
December 20, 2013
Hi Buiatti,

Do you mind me asking what type of permit you held while you remained in Canada from May of 2011 until late 2012. I realize that your original question was simply can your wife report you for fraud and remove your PR because she sponsored you and in the end you left her and the short answer is no. Realizing that the relationship with your wife has dissolved I can only hope you don't become a PR (and I don't mean permanent resident).

I don't know the specifics of your relationship but it sounds to me like your wife supported you from May of 2011 until January of 2013 and then you left her. Your wife is not here to defend herself against the claims of abuse so the relationship issues are irrelevant and nobody on this forum will ever know the truth.

What I want to say is I hope you have some morals and get a job sooner than later because somehow I don't think you are living on your savings. You haven't actually stated how you are supporting yourself. I don't know you and I have absolutely no opinion of you. What I do know is that if any of your post has any truth at all, your wife loved you enough to bring you here, marry you, and take care of you. As you say, things were great until January of this year. You obviously have no intension of going home, so please, do the proper thing and take responsibility for yourself.

buiatti

Jan 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiwi,

I have lived with her from May/2011 to Jan/2013. I had my economies when I came, since I had a 12Y career before coming. I left everything for her, so, she did not keep me financially, as we shared the expenses we had along this time. I do not have much left with me, but I hope to be enough to keep myself until I get a job.

We have always kept bookings from our expenses, and was that way that most of the savings I had were spent, buying food and keeping the house. All the manual work in the house was done by me, since once she arrives from work, all she wants to do is sit down, light a cigaret, and read her twitter and facebook posts, and play online games. Even to give food to her daughter, it was like my job.

And don't worry Kiwi12, I rather 1.000 times to pay taxes for this country, and lots of them, then using your taxes to keep myself.

Kiwi12

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived AIP:February 13, 2013
LANDED..........
December 20, 2013
Buiatti,

That's good to hear because you would be a scab if you did and I am not at all worried it won't be coming out of my pocket it will be coming out of your wife's. You seem to want to put the total onus of this relationship end on your wife but you were just as much to blame because the decision to marry wasn't just hers. You had options then and you have options now. I would never, ever get on a site like this an openly say horrible things about my spouse not matter what the situation. If I were you having the ability to get permanent residence into a country as wonderful as this one, I would be thanking the good lord above, thanking my spouse for sponsoring me, even if the relationship didn't work out and I would be at the employment office, out delivering flyers and maybe even picking worms rather than going on a national website putting down the woman that you supposedly once loved.

I appreciate you post Buiatti, honestly because it helps get points across.

rg2012

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She basically doesn't have a case. Marriage doesn't work, so she calls it fraud. Will not stand in any court.

If she says she's part of the fraud, then she'll get jail time. That won't work either.

Your PR is secure.