+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Outland. Spouse visit as tourist

Dec 8, 2013
Hello,

My wife and I recently got married in her home country which requires a visa to visit Canada.

In the past she has had a TRV with Open work permit in 2011 and did not extend or overstay, in fact she left 2 months before the expiry date.

I have spent the last 6 months in her country (Ecuador) and we have gathered up all of the necessary documents and items for our sponsorship file.

I'm going to return to Canada after the holidays and submit the application to sponsor her. She currently has a great and stable job that she has been working at for over a year and can easily prove means of return.

My question is:

Can we apply for the visitors permit for her, and if accepted, her and I will fly to Canada together. I will then sponsor her. Would that be a problem at all?

I would still send her file Outland to Mississauga , which would then get sent to Bogota (who handles Ecuador). She would visit my family in Canada and return to Ecuador when her visitors time is up and continue to wait until PR has been processed.

Do you think immigration at the airport would have a problem with this and let her come visit? She would be on vacation time from work.

The last question would be, which I personally feel maybe more risky is have her come here on visitors permit and apply inland.

Thank you very much for any one who reads this and takes the time to reply!!!! I'd like to bring her up to that freezing country of ours as soon as possible !!

Regards

D
:)

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
From what I understand (I'm NO expert, as I'm from the U.S. and applied inland, but I've learned a lot reading here over the last year and change), foreign nationals with Canadian spouses are sometimes (often?) denied visitor visas due to a lack of ties to their home countries and the risk of overstaying their visa. If your wife can show strong ties to Ecuador (proof of her employment and when her boss expects her to return, copy of her lease showing ongoing residency, etc), she may be able to get a visitor visa. If she gets one, there is absolutely NO problem with her visiting with you and others in Canada for as long as the visa is valid. An outland application doesn't affect that at all. If, instead, you wish to file inland while she is visiting, that, too, is fine. You will have to apply for an extension of her visitor visa, or send in an application for an OWP (open work permit) with her inland application to ensure she remains in status while the application is ongoing.

Really, the only issue is whether or not she can get the visa in the first place, not with whatever you decide to do afterward.

Dec 8, 2013
Thank you very much for the response. :)

Ok - let's say we were able to prove strong ties to her country and she was granted the visitors visa, and we were able to come into Canada together on her vacation time from work in 2014.

Wouldn't applying inland like you said, possibly cause issues with the sponsorship process as we basically made promise to Canada that she would leave the country on a set date?

Would they look at the information provided (round trip ticket, letter from employer, employment records, heck my invitation letter as well) and think that we just proved all these ties to get her into Canada and now suddenly we've changed everything, and she's being sponsored inland and filing for OWP after stage 1 approval?

Also I wanted to add two things:

1. She is an international Flight Attendant- meaning, she leaves and returns to Ecuador visiting Europe and USA multiple times a month. She has 2 visas for USA. 1 for being a flight crew member for work. The other is a USA visitors permit that expires in 2016 or 17 so that we can travel there on vacation time (which is great being married to a crew member, cheap flights! ;) )

- I think that would give her a great advantage on getting the Canadian visitors permit as she has a history of not trying to bail out anywhere as an alien. (She once lived In Canada as I mentioned, never overstayed, and we travel a lot, and well to be honest, we could have a good life in Ecuador, however we want our children to grow up in Canada)

2. We married in Ecuador- our other option is I can get a spouse visa myself in Ecuador and apply 100% Outland and wait with her. I own a property in Canada and my employer is also Canadian so it's not that difficult to prove we will be moving there.

Anyway, back on topic as this thread subject is about entering Canada on a tourist/visitors visa, and then sponsoring Outland. We feel that this would be a better success rate (her going back and waiting) . However, if you think that or if anyone else can also comment that getting in applying inland won't void our file because we made a promise that she would leave then we may go for it.

Other hand - safest route, 100% Outland, either with me remaining to Canada, or waiting with her In South America !!

Apologies for the long post, as everyone else on this forum, just hoping to have some light shed on our situation.

Thank you for all who takes the time to read. :) :)

Edit: One last thing- if we start the Outland sponsorship, I believe I can call CIC and let them know I will now be remaining outside of Canada until her application has been fully processed, correct? ( that's if we send it in Outland but I specify that I'm in Canada.)

Regards :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Canadianoilers said:
Wouldn't applying inland like you said, possibly cause issues with the sponsorship process as we basically made promise to Canada that she would leave the country on a set date?
This is no problem, and CIC wouldn't care. Many people come here on visitor visas, and apply inland.

However you do realize if you submit an Inland application, she would basically need to quit her job as the inland app requires she not leave Canada for any reason whatsoever, during the entire inland processing time (up to 2 years).

If she wants to continue to work, then you need to apply outland.

Edit: One last thing- if we start the Outland sponsorship, I believe I can call CIC and let them know I will now be remaining outside of Canada until her application has been fully processed, correct? ( that's if we send it in Outland but I specify that I'm in Canada.)
If you are a Canadian citizen, you can remain outside Canada during processing. You will just need to prove intent to return to Canada once the app is approved.

If you are a Canadian PR, you must remain inside Canada during processing, and can only leave Canada for vacations.

Dec 8, 2013
Thank you for the reply. At higher success rate with less risk- we will sponsor Outland with no visa. I heard processing times are a lot quicker too. Hopefully the bogota office can get it done in under a year. I will get my own visa and wait for her in her country with her for however Long is required.

I just think getting the visitors visa for her and coming to Canada married that the border agent will just refuse entry because they believe risk of overstay no matter what we show at the airport. I heard even tho you may have the visa, In the end it's up to the folks at airport if one can cross.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Canadianoilers said:
Thank you for the reply. At higher success rate with less risk- we will sponsor Outland with no visa. I heard processing times are a lot quicker too. Hopefully the bogota office can get it done in under a year. I will get my own visa and wait for her in her country with her for however Long is required.
Just so you're aware, Bogota has one of the lower success rates for spousal PRs at only around 70%. However don't let that scare you, just make sure to put together a strong application. The Bogota office seems fairly quick as 50% of the application are done in less than 10 months.

As long as you are a Canadian citizen and not a PR, you can live in Ecuador during the processing. You will need to include as part of your application, proof that you intend to move back to Canada after it's approved.

Dec 8, 2013
One thing I have noticed is that Ecuador now has a Visa office (VAC). However I think they just forward the information to Bogota. Bogotas processing time appears it could be 15 months.

However 50% under 10 months is a good statistic. She's not Columbian either, Ecuador is a lot smaller. Maybe they don't see too many Ecuador cases.

We will build a strong file. Just need to be firm on the path to take. Doesn't matter which one- as everyone else in the end the goal is to live in Canada with your spouse. You scared me away from the Bogota office lol. Maybe just try to pull it off Inland.

Nah- going Outland route to avoid being turned around at airport because the border agent decided to play it by the books and thought it would be an overstay. After 19+hours of travel that would not be great.

Thanks again.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Canadianoilers said:
One thing I have noticed is that Ecuador now has a Visa office (VAC). However I think they just forward the information to Bogota. Bogotas processing time appears it could be 15 months.
You will anyways send the complete outland application package to CPC-Mississauga. CPC-M will then forward it to Bogota office. Right now Bogota is the only choice for family class PR apps for Ecuador residents.

Maybe just try to pull it off Inland.

Nah- going Outland route to avoid being turned around at airport because the border agent decided to play it by the books and thought it would be an overstay. After 19+hours of travel that would not be great.
I would definitely apply outland considering your spouse has a good job now. As i mentioned, she would need to quit her job and would be unable to work in Canada for up to around a full year if you applied inland.

lilops

Jul 15, 2011
Monteria - Colombia
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Nov-2013
AOR Received.
8-Dec-2013
File Transfer...
12-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
10-Sep-2013
I'm Colombian and I applied to PR to visit my hubbie for anniversary however i spent more time gathering the documents than they denying the visa lol, anyways..... :'(. However our Sponsorship Application seems to be in a good way I've know cases approved after 6 or 7 months :D :D :D :D :D.