+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsor = no gov't assistance?

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
I was pretty sure that when I read & signed my sponsorship agreement, it said that by becoming a sponsor i make myself ineligible for government assistance such as welfare and bankruptcy protection. I looked online to double-check that today, and couldn't find anything of the sort. Am I crazy? Is that part of the sponsorship agreement?

I ask because I'll be going back to university in the fall and want to know if I'm eligible for a)student loans, and b)low-income exemptions so I don't have to pay medical premiums while I'm in school.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Lifer said:
I was pretty sure that when I read & signed my sponsorship agreement, it said that by becoming a sponsor i make myself ineligible for government assistance such as welfare and bankruptcy protection. I looked online to double-check that today, and couldn't find anything of the sort. Am I crazy? Is that part of the sponsorship agreement?

I ask because I'll be going back to university in the fall and want to know if I'm eligible for a)student loans, and b)low-income exemptions so I don't have to pay medical premiums while I'm in school.
Hi. There are two separate things to consider here.

The first is eligibility requirements for sponsorship. There are some eligibility requirements about *you* not being in bankruptcy and not being on welfare ("in receipt of social assistance"). Once permanent residence is granted, these conditions no longer apply. I'm not certain what happens if these circumstances arise after the sponsorship is approved but before the visa is issued.

The second thing is that you promise to repay any social assistance received by the sponsored person - not you - during the duration of the undertaking. If you're living together and you're both on welfare, then I presume this would mean the portion corresponding to the sponsored person's needs.

"Social assistance" is defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations as follows:

- “social assistance” means any benefit in the form of money, goods or services provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance, including a program of social assistance designated by a province to provide for basic requirements including food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care, including dental care and eye care.

My understanding is that the phrase "social assistance" is normally used for welfare and associated programs (like free dental care for welfare recipients in some provinces), and does not include student loans and bursaries. I'm not sure what the low-income exemptions you're referring to are, but if many people who aren't on welfare receive these, then they're probably not included.

In any case, the specific programs considered to be social assistance vary from province to province. These would be defined by federal-provincial agreements, except for Quebec where this would be defined by its own laws. So to give an exact list of programs considered "social assistance," you'd need to say what province you're talking about.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Student loans has nothing to do with it.

Welfare is the issue. The only social assistance that doesn't effect your application at all is disability.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
parker24 said:
Student loans has nothing to do with it.

Welfare is the issue. The only social assistance that doesn't effect your application at all is disability.
Yes, but you have to prove the sponsored person will be provided for, either by themselves or you or others. If you're on welfare, no matter the reason, then the visa office will investigate this, even if it doesn't make you ineligible to sponsor. If the person coming to Canada is easily employable, then there's no problem.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
frege said:
Yes, but you have to prove the sponsored person will be provided for, either by themselves or you or others. If you're on welfare, no matter the reason, then the visa office will investigate this, even if it doesn't make you ineligible to sponsor. If the person coming to Canada is easily employable, then there's no problem.
Thus providing proof that you have savings or some form of income. In my case, it was disability. I got approved 11 days ago as a sponsor. If someone is on welfare, they will send your application back. There's been several cases of it on this forum.

In any case, student debt is considered "good debt". All mortage brokers will tell you that, all bankers will tell you that. Student loans isn't an issue :)

As for the medical stuff, you can apply, just make sure it's not welfare. Ask them straight up. I'm in Ontario, no idea where you are from. But here it's called Ontario Works.

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
so it sounds like student loans are no problem, but the bit about not paying monthly premiums for MSP (medical coverage, not sure exactly what it stands for) might possibly be a problem? I'm from BC, if that helps anyone know what I mean.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Lifer said:
so it sounds like student loans are no problem, but the bit about not paying monthly premiums for MSP (medical coverage, not sure exactly what it stands for) might possibly be a problem? I'm from BC, if that helps anyone know what I mean.
I don't think it would be a problem. Does it have to do with the fact you're a student? I'm going to research a little and get back to you.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Okay! I did some quick research and it became quickly apparent that MSP has NOTHING to do with welfare, so you're good there. In BC it is called BC Employment and Assistance (BCEA). As long as you are not on that, you're good! :)

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
I think you're fine Lifer. I just finished being a student, am from BC, and my income has so far been low enough not to have to pay into MSP. MSP payment amounts are tiered according to your income level.. under a certain amount and you don't owe them anything. That's not defined as social assistance. I haven't been approved yet for sponsorship but I'm not too worried.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Lifer said:
Hi Lifer,

Here is the official document that says what is considered "social assistance" in BC:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/agreements/bc/bc-2004-annex-g.asp

Section 4.2 lists the benefits the sponsor isn't allowed to receive (in order for the visa to be approved), and 4.3 lists the benefits the applicant isn't supposed to receive for the duration of the undertaking.