+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor by Citizen spouse in Canada while other spouse is reported for unmet RO

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks.

Please share your experiences on this quick question.

If I am reported for not meeting RO at entry, would there be any issue with my Canadian Citizen wife sponsoring me in six months?. Fact that I will be in "Reported" status, would that affect my sponsorship application?.

Regards

R

rish888

You cannot be sponsored while reported as you are still a PR. At the border if the officer says he will report you then you should offer to renounce your PR status. You can enter Canada as a visitor for 6 months if you renounce your PR. Once in Canada (as a visitor, not a PR) your wife will be able to sponsor you for PR. You can also get an open work permit while waiting for PR. (But this only applies if you are in Canada when the sponsorship application is filed.)

One thing to note is that if you manage to get in without a report you cannot leave Canada even once for 2 years. If this is not viable for you, then renounce your PR directly at the border (declare to te officer that you want to renounce PR) and enter as a visitor and go through the sponsorship process again to get a fresh PR.

If you're willing to stay the 2 years without leaving then take your chances attempting entry an only renounce if the alternative is a report.

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot be sponsored while reported as you are still a PR. At the border if the officer says he will report you then you should offer to renounce your PR status. You can enter Canada as a visitor for 6 months if you renounce your PR. Once in Canada (as a visitor, not a PR) your wife will be able to sponsor you for PR. You can also get an open work permit while waiting for PR. (But this only applies if you are in Canada when the sponsorship application is filed.)

One thing to note is that if you manage to get in without a report you cannot leave Canada even once for 2 years. If this is not viable for you, then renounce your PR directly at the border (declare to te officer that you want to renounce PR) and enter as a visitor and go through the sponsorship process again to get a fresh PR.

If you're willing to stay the 2 years without leaving then take your chances attempting entry an only renounce if the alternative is a report.

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.