+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

splitting 'given name' after IELTS exam and its effect on EE application

cherryvintage

Aug 6, 2014
Hello All,

My current passport contain given name only, family name is blank :(. I am an EE candidate and recently appeared for IELTS exam. The test report has only Given name, for eg. XXXYYY. Since I was outside India with a Schengen Visa(where they use XXX in place of family name), I could not change it. Now I am planning to split or bifurcate my name into XXX as first name or given name and YYY as surname. In this case, I will get a new passport(old one attached) with a surname.

My question if I get a new passport with a surname, but an IELTS test report with no surname, would it affect my EE application? I have checked if I can change my name (split) in the TRF, but it doesn't seem possible once you appeared for the exam unless it is a mistake in their report compared to the passport.

I desparately need to have a surname since I faced a lot of questions about my XXX surname :mad: and was quite embarrassed when someone call me Ms.XXX.

Guys please give me some opinion.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
cherryvintage said:
Hello All,

My current passport contain given name only, family name is blank :(. I am an EE candidate and recently appeared for IELTS exam. The test report has only Given name, for eg. XXXYYY. Since I was outside India with a Schengen Visa(where they use XXX in place of family name), I could not change it. Now I am planning to split or bifurcate my name into XXX as first name or given name and YYY as surname. In this case, I will get a new passport(old one attached) with a surname.

My question if I get a new passport with a surname, but an IELTS test report with no surname, would it affect my EE application? I have checked if I can change my name (split) in the TRF, but it doesn't seem possible once you appeared for the exam unless it is a mistake in their report compared to the passport.

I desparately need to have a surname since I faced a lot of questions about my XXX surname :mad: and was quite embarrassed when someone call me Ms.XXX.

I am wondering why you accepted your passport when it was issued initially without a surname? It's mentioned very clearly that one should check all personal details and if anything is incorrect report back immediately. Organizations like WES, IELTS would not consider you as the same person if you split your name today. I don't know which country you are from but can guess you will experience difficulty when taking out PCC. also, have you thought of how to manage your EE application? Your name on ITA would not have surname while when you submit application you will have a surname !! Talk to CIC to understand the overall impact.

asdf-1234+

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
cherryvintage said:
Hello All,

I have a similar situation... my passport only has "full name", not Family name, given name, middle name, etc. And where I come from, my family name is in the middle! between first and given name.

for example, Last name: Joe
Name on passport: Bob Joe Markus

Obviously that's incorrect everywhere around the world, but that's how we do it in my country, and that's how it is on my passport.

Long story short, my IELTS name is only BOB JOE, but on my passport is BOB JOE MARKUS...... I hope there won't be any problems as well. My work permit is issued as BOB MARKUS JOE, and it's valid.....

CIC made a change on my PR application that got returned, the person wrote my name under last name section as BOB JOE MARKUS, as shown on my passport. It's weird, but I will do the same on my PR application now on EE. Will see how that goes. geez.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
asdf-1234+ said:
I have a similar situation... my passport only has "full name", not Family name, given name, middle name, etc. And where I come from, my family name is in the middle! between first and given name.

for example, Last name: Joe
Name on passport: Bob Joe Markus

Obviously that's incorrect everywhere around the world, but that's how we do it in my country, and that's how it is on my passport.

Long story short, my IELTS name is only BOB JOE, but on my passport is BOB JOE MARKUS...... I hope there won't be any problems as well. My work permit is issued as BOB MARKUS JOE, and it's valid.....

For all situations what I am failing to understand is how your names are becoming different in different forms. Every electronic form(Passport, CIC, IELTS, WES or whatever) has name fields defined as First Name, Middle Name, Last Name. If you have consistently filled up forms with same values in these three fields how can your name become different. The output might look different because of the name definition in form output. Some organizations go First Name-Last Name and some are Last Name-First Name. So, Bob Joe can become Joe Bob, but first name remains first name and so is last name. Even when you filled up college/university forms and lets assume those were manual you must have mentioned same values. Is there something I missed in your cases?

CIC made a change on my PR application that got returned, the person wrote my name under last name section as BOB JOE MARKUS, as shown on my passport. It's weird, but I will do the same on my PR application now on EE. Will see how that goes. geez.

cherryvintage

Aug 6, 2014
SMCANADAVISA said:
I am wondering why you accepted your passport when it was issued initially without a surname? It's mentioned very clearly that one should check all personal details and if anything is incorrect report back immediately. Organizations like WES, IELTS would not consider you as the same person if you split your name today. I don't know which country you are from but can guess you will experience difficulty when taking out PCC. also, have you thought of how to manage your EE application? Your name on ITA would not have surname while when you submit application you will have a surname !! Talk to CIC to understand the overall impact.
Hi SMCANADAVISA,

I am from India and here having a given name only is at least not uncommon. Some people have family names however some keep their father's first name as the last name. In my case, I used the latter option i.e. YYY is my father's first name. Hope you get it. If you search in Wikipedia you can easily understand how last name system in India and probably other countries work. Although I don't insist you to check, it would be a good information for you to know how different are other nationals.

My question is to any south Asians who have faced similar situations . If you have similar experience, please share it to me.

crazydesifool

Nov 14, 2014
Regina, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172/6211
App. Filed.......
26 Nov 15
Doc's Request.
21 Jan 16 - RCMP and 18 May 16 - Sch A
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
22 Dec 15
IELTS Request
included in the application - CELPIP
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
included in application
Med's Done....
8 Jan 16
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
7 Jun 16
VISA ISSUED...
16 Jun 16
LANDED..........
02 Jul 16
well i have the same thing like yours, and I deliberately did that as I don't want them to change my name's order.. now, i wrote IELTS, CELPIP (you write this if you are already in canada) and I wrote my last name as XXXX and first name as XXXX XXXX ... no issues whatsoever.. I sent my application to FSW and they received it.. they checked my name as First name XXX XXX and last name as XXX when in passport it was XXX XXX XXX (courtesy of my attorney :-X), they just rounded it and wrote 'as in ppt' (as in passport) .. now the same thing in EE profile.. and i am confident it shouldn't be an issue.

cherryvintage

Aug 6, 2014
crazydesifool said:
well i have the same thing like yours, and I deliberately did that as I don't want them to change my name's order.. now, i wrote IELTS, CELPIP (you write this if you are already in canada) and I wrote my last name as XXXX and first name as XXXX XXXX ... no issues whatsoever.. I sent my application to FSW and they received it.. they checked my name as First name XXX XXX and last name as XXX when in passport it was XXX XXX XXX (courtesy of my attorney :-X), they just rounded it and wrote 'as in ppt' (as in passport) .. now the same thing in EE profile.. and i am confident it shouldn't be an issue.
In my case I have written IELTS with given name only XXXYYY, no surname since the data should have to be matched with the passport. so IELTS with XXXYYY but in EE profile and in my new passport it will be XXX and YYY (first and last name, respectively). ???

abhicg

Oct 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2016
Doc's Request.
11-03-2016
Nomination.....
13-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-03-2016
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
12-03-2016
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
04-10-2016
cherryvintage said:
In my case I have written IELTS with given name only XXXYYY, no surname since the data should have to be matched with the passport. so IELTS with XXXYYY but in EE profile and in my new passport it will be XXX and YYY (first and last name, respectively). ???

Hi cherryvintage,

I am facing the same situation, could you please let me know, how you went ahead ? Have you re-applied for the IELTS ?

Thanks,
Abhi

Msbawa09

Jan 5, 2019
Hi cherryvintage,

I am facing the same situation, could you please let me know, how you went ahead ? Have you re-applied for the IELTS ?

Thanks,
Abhi
Hi, I am also facing the same problem. Can someone provide solution?