+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spelling Mistake on Marriage Certificate

Snoopy75

May 3, 2018
Hey all, hoping to get some veterans input here.

As I was going over our documents to get ready for our spousal visa, I noticed something that I had never noticed before and my heart sank. On our marriage certificate there is a minor spelling error in my place of birth. It's extremely minor, one letter added that shouldn't be there, but it's an error nonetheless. We got married two years ago, and the certificate was accepted without question here in Germany for my partner's spousal visa. But now, I'm freaking out. I feel incredibly stupid that I didn't notice this before, and am absolutely panicked that this will cause our application to be rejected, or worse, for the certificate to be considered void. What do I do? I can contact the city hall where we got married but given that it was over two years ago and in another country, I'm not sure how helpful they'll be. Any advice?

kohman77

Star Member
May 14, 2017
Mine also had a spelling mistake, although not as bad as city of birth, and it was accepted.
I think if the marriage certificate is original and valid in the country it was issued, it should be fine.

I don't know what action you should take, just giving my own experience.

Snoopy75

May 3, 2018
Mine also had a spelling mistake, although not as bad as city of birth, and it was accepted.
I think if the marriage certificate is original and valid in the country it was issued, it should be fine.

I don't know what action you should take, just giving my own experience.
Thanks for the input. Could I ask what your spelling mistake was?

It's more of a typo than anything, an extra letter that shouldn't be there in the middle of the city. I'm kicking myself we didn't notice it until now, which is ironic that neither did my own immigration authorities when we submitted it. It is original and legal in the country we did it in (Denmark).

kohman77

Star Member
May 14, 2017
Thanks for the input. Could I ask what your spelling mistake was?

It's more of a typo than anything, an extra letter that shouldn't be there in the middle of the city. I'm kicking myself we didn't notice it until now, which is ironic that neither did my own immigration authorities when we submitted it. It is original and legal in the country we did it in (Denmark).
Father's middle name is misspelled on mine.

Snoopy75

May 3, 2018
Father's middle name is misspelled on mine.
It's a bit reassuring that your certificate was accepted without issue, though I'm still really wary. I'm thinking we might have to get our certificate completely reissued which will obviously slow things down. If there's anyone else with information about this, especially forum veterans I'd really appreciate it.