+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special resons for extended PR when not meets ordinary PRO?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
JonasSwe said:
One (hopefully) last question. If getting to Canada with less than two years left on the PR and without meeting the PRO, I suppose you will not be able to work during the time you wait for a new PR?

I.e, if you have to wait six months after you PR expires to gain the complete 730 days, will you be allowed to work when you don´t have any valid PR?

What about if you need health care etc?

(I know it´s not recommended to risk the PR by entering late, but I still wonder what will happen if you do and are not reported at the border.)
As long as you are a PR you can work and get health care, even when in breach of the RO. It would be best to arrive before the card is expired, for obvious reasons, but also because of function creep a lot of the services that have to be 'signed up' for require a valid PR card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The PR card expiring doesn't mean that you are no longer PR. As long as your PR status was never officially renounced or revoked, you are still a PR and as such, you are allowed to live and work in Canada, register for health care etc.

However, as explained by Alurra, many govt. establishments have started to ask for a valid PR card as a proof of your status. Therefore, it is better to arrive in Canada with a still valid card in order to sign up for health care get a drivers license and apply for or re-activate your SIN before your PR card expires.