+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korea police certificate for foreigners

singkm

Apr 10, 2020
Hi all,
We got invite yesterday in CEC category. And it appears its impossible to get Criminal Check record reply (With lapsed records) from South Korea when you are a non-Korean.
CIC wants that and Korean law doesn't allow that as per their law and this is confirmed by Korean Consulate in Toronto as well on email & Korean Police Agency also.

I have two questions
1. Has any non-Korean been able to get this Criminal Check record reply (With lapsed records) by any means. Any lawyer who handles or any other way would be of great help
2. My wife was earlier living in Korea from 2014-2016 full time but after that she was working in India and travelling to Korea for max few weeks to 2months kind once a year or so. (not crossing 3months in a row anytime after 2016). She has above certificate issued a day before exit from Korea in Mar2019 when she stayed in Korea for approx a month in row.
Do such temporary visits also must be covered by police certificate or it is needed to cover duration when person was staying for 6+ months in a single visit?.

Thanks in advance as getting this is very tough it appears and is causing rejections too as per few online threads..

Regards
Krish

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi all,
We got invite yesterday in CEC category. And it appears its impossible to get Criminal Check record reply (With lapsed records) from South Korea when you are a non-Korean.
CIC wants that and Korean law doesn't allow that as per their law and this is confirmed by Korean Consulate in Toronto as well on email & Korean Police Agency also.

I have two questions
1. Has any non-Korean been able to get this Criminal Check record reply (With lapsed records) by any means. Any lawyer who handles or any other way would be of great help
2. My wife was earlier living in Korea from 2014-2016 full time but after that she was working in India and travelling to Korea for max few weeks to 2months kind once a year or so. (not crossing 3months in a row anytime after 2016). She has above certificate issued a day before exit from Korea in Mar2019 when she stayed in Korea for approx a month in row.
Do such temporary visits also must be covered by police certificate or it is needed to cover duration when person was staying for 6+ months in a single visit?.

Thanks in advance as getting this is very tough it appears and is causing rejections too as per few online threads..

Regards
Krish
1. Did you try following the instructions here? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/korea-south.html

singkm

Apr 10, 2020
yes i checked same. Its very complex & old issue faced by lots of people and lots of people got rejections too just due to same.
Please note that the police certificate must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records (실효된 형 포함).

CIC needs to include lapsed record. Korean law was modified it appears in 2017 or so and they stopped issuing this certificate to non-Koreans (like me who is not korean but worked as a Engineer in Korea for 5years) and thus our applications get rejected as we can't get the document as asked by CIC. Thats why i am trying to find if anyone knows any way out of this. I got confirmation from Korean Consulate in Tornonto with email with contact details saying we don't give this document to non-Koreans.. I requested CIC to please update PCC requirement for Korea (Korean Police issues a criminal record but they don't mention lapsed records and thats the main issue). but no response from CIC.

quang.duong

Jun 24, 2018
@singkm Do you have any update on your application. I had ITA last week and have asked a friend in Korea to help me apply the certificate. Will update the outcome.

singkm

Apr 10, 2020
I havent submitted application. my non-Korean friends tries in few police stations but they all denied them saying its not issued to foreigner. If u are korean, u might be able to get it. They don't issue any document also to indicate same. I requested Toronto consulate and they too denied any official styamped etc document to say they can't issue to foreigner. They can just tell on email or phone they told.
So i have to write LOE and pray that they don't feel I am criminal.

singkm

Apr 10, 2020
anyone in this group has any updates about LOE stuff. I know 1 member who got approved in above thread but just wondering is this normal or was an exception only...

AshlynJ

Mar 11, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
Med's Done....
02-04-2019
Passport Req..
02-07-2019
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2019
LANDED..........
12-10-2019
Hi,
There is an agency called 배달의민원(www.allminwon.com) who do the job on behalf of you.
They definitely charge you a fee on it, but not sure how much it would be.
You can apply for police certificate (equal to criminal record in Korean) on that website.
They say that you need to send them your passport the one you used when you stayed in Korea and current passport,foreign registration number via email.
You are welcome to call them to ask questions +82-02-747-2182.

AshlynJ

Mar 11, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
Med's Done....
02-04-2019
Passport Req..
02-07-2019
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2019
LANDED..........
12-10-2019
Hi,
There is an agency called 배달의민원(www.allminwon.com) who do the job on behalf of you.
They definitely charge you a fee on it, but not sure how much it would be.
You can apply for police certificate (equal to criminal record in Korean) on that website.
They say that you need to send them your passport the one you used when you stayed in Korea and current passport,foreign registration number via email.
You are welcome to call them to ask questions +82-02-747-2182.
Here is the email address as well - help@allminwon.com

Jason68

Jul 10, 2020
anyone in this group has any updates about LOE stuff. I know 1 member who got approved in above thread but just wondering is this normal or was an exception only...
Hi, how is your PR application? Have you successfully got the Criminal Check record reply (With lapsed records) from South Korea?

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
i was not able to get PCC from India as covid lockdown so not submitting appllication as don't want to loose money with no PCC from both korea and india. for korea i am trying to give a lonx explanation etc.

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Ok. But a lot of folks have mentioned that the PCC provided by the embassy doesn't work. What are your thoughts ?
yeah surely it doesn't works in first try. We need to write LoE with whole story to convey the issue. Just attaching that cert alone is straight rejection as they want different certificate. So i am going to write all ways i tried with some email rejections telling it can't be issued to foreigners. And pray 8hrs a day that its accepted by officer concerned :).

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Here is the email address as well - help@allminwon.com
they charge huge amount for that. Earlier i got for my wife in 2018 for 64US$ now its 302 US $ if i recall correctly and that too with some stamp which say can't be used. I am not sure its worth it or not as some people say that stamp must not be there and these guys can't get without stamp even after spending 300US$. i guess its all in God's hand what officer will think on our genuine prayers that foreigners can't get it from police station even if we ourself go there.