+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soon to be daily commuter questions: Windsor to Detroit

USH1CANPR

Oct 31, 2023
Thank you in advance for your advise.
1) What are my options to access US healthcare while living in Canada (HR says only Canadian benefits apply as soon as I update my address to Canadian)?
2) Can I use a US address for my Company and commute without informing them just for the sake of Healthcare benefits?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Whatever happens or what ever you have to do, if you have option for US healthcare make sure you are enrolled for it.
Dont want to sound controversial or piss off Canadians here,.....................Canadian Healthcare is a piece of shit not even worth being called Healthcare. They should just call it Canadian Piece of Shit.

If your payroll is being processed in US, they would need a US address. Thats what lot of commuters do, whether friends address, rent a address. I have heard some companies allow Canadian address, I am not sure how they run payroll with Canadian address.

It is always better to inform HR that you will be frequently commuting between US and Canada. You can always have two residences one in US and one in Canada. When I was commuting I had rental in both US and Canada.

Reactions: USH1CANPR

USH1CANPR

Oct 31, 2023
Whatever happens or what ever you have to do, if you have option for US healthcare make sure you are enrolled for it.
Dont want to sound controversial or piss off Canadians here,.....................Canadian Healthcare is a piece of shit not even worth being called Healthcare. They should just call it Canadian Piece of Shit.

If your payroll is being processed in US, they would need a US address. Thats what lot of commuters do, whether friends address, rent a address. I have heard some companies allow Canadian address, I am not sure how they run payroll with Canadian address.

It is always better to inform HR that you will be frequently commuting between US and Canada. You can always have two residences one in US and one in Canada. When I was commuting I had rental in both US and Canada.
I am assuming you would have then paid taxes as a resident of Canada and file Non Resident Taxes in USA. Correct?

justinline

May 19, 2009
I am assuming you would have then paid taxes as a resident of Canada and file Non Resident Taxes in USA. Correct?
Yes 1040NR US side and resident Canada side. Just keep one thing in mind, CRA in last few years is taking more close scrutiny......if you are filling 1040NR on US side, they have been trying to get more money if they figure out you have been working from Canada.

Reactions: USH1CANPR