+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soon applying for Citizenship, new passport...

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
London/St. Thomas for now...
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
So I got a new passport in January, and the embassy kept my old one, with my IMM 1000 in it...

And I am unsure where my COPR is. I have moved (within Canada) 3 times since I got my PR in 2011, and may have put it somewhere "smart".

I have a few absences, but I meet the requirement of time spent with 1839 days, and I have been fully employed almost continuously (missing 1 month of employment as I was laid off from 1 job, and got another...).

What do I do? are they going to accept my PR Card as a proof of PR or will they deny my application?

Cheers
H.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
TheHal said:
So I got a new passport in January, and the embassy kept my old one, with my IMM 1000 in it...

And I am unsure where my COPR is. I have moved (within Canada) 3 times since I got my PR in 2011, and may have put it somewhere "smart".

I have a few absences, but I meet the requirement of time spent with 1839 days, and I have been fully employed almost continuously (missing 1 month of employment as I was laid off from 1 job, and got another...).

What do I do? are they going to accept my PR Card as a proof of PR or will they deny my application?

Cheers
H.
Problem is not proof of PR status, so much, as it will be the absence of the old passport.

You can explain why you do not have a CoPR (lost, mislaid, or such). As long as you establish your identity and have the PR card, that should get you through relative to this part.

But without the old passport, there is a big chance of a steep, difficult hill to climb to prove presence . . . depending on whether you kept an exact copy of all pages in the passport, and depending on the extent of other evidence you have to objectively document your presence in Canada. The latter can make a huge difference, between it being somewhat inconvenient (if you have strong evidence covering the whole period) to facing a serious risk of being denied (if there are gaps in your documentation, such as to work history or such).

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
I would imagine that I could prove presence in the country with my job records?

My only travels have been occasional trips to the US, so CBSA should have those records no? nothing else...

I am at work in the north for now, and have trouble locating my stuff, worst case I just wait a few more years...

Cheers
Harald

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
TheHal said:
I would imagine that I could prove presence in the country with my job records?

My only travels have been occasional trips to the US, so CBSA should have those records no? nothing else...

I am at work in the north for now, and have trouble locating my stuff, worst case I just wait a few more years...

Cheers
Harald
IRCC can get the records for travel between US and Canada but what they can't get (easily) is your travel abroad since there is no exit control like they have in the EU and most other countries abroad. Hence they want to look at the stamps in your passport. But you should be able to overcome the lack of your old passport with other strong documentation, like full-time job that requires your physical presence in Canada. It may cause some delay however.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
IRCC can get records of your entrances to Canada from CBSA, if you give them permission to. But they do not have any access to your entries to the US before 2012--and then only for certain ports of entry. You can get your own records of entry to the US by filing a FOIA request with US CBP.

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
I can take the delay, I should soon get my second PR card, and will apply as soon as I find my other papers.

Like I mentioned, I have been in a full employment for all but a few days since I became a resident, for a company that is based in the country. I guess I will roll the dice and see which way they fall. Married to a Canadian lady as well, so perhaps/hopefully that helps too.

Thanks
H.

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
As luck would have it... Found my old passport, AND my COPR. That makes things easier!

berkcalg

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TheHal said:
As luck would have it... Found my old passport, AND my COPR. That makes things easier!
Congratulations, and good luck for next steeps.