+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

something about tax ..but i dont have status

yata520

Oct 9, 2013
sorry don't know where to ask this kind of stuff
My partner and i still at inland process , should my partner put me at his tax form ? since i don't have status(lack of status) does this will have red flag ??also since i am not working should i also do my tax ?? i never did tax so really don't know how to do ...

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
If you do not have any status (not even work permit) you need to submit a tax return in Canada.

If you have a workpermit or PR, you are required to submit a return.

In Canada taxation is individual (not on family income), so you may have to submit a zero return.

rules on who should submit a return, this may help.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/flng-blgtns/menu-eng.html

If you are unsure, I would suggest you have a chat with an tax accountant. This will likely prove enlightening.

good luck :)

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello yata520/NetMecca

Great post, NetMecca.

I just want to add something to this.

It is a good idea to file the tax returns even if you are not required to, to earn credits and rebates such as the GST/HST credit, WITB, UCCB, CCTB and others.

Madan Chartered Accountant team
madanca.com

jayesskay

Feb 4, 2015
Amadan123 said:
Hello yata520/NetMecca

Great post, NetMecca.

I just want to add something to this.

It is a good idea to file the tax returns even if you are not required to, to earn credits and rebates such as the GST/HST credit, WITB, UCCB, CCTB and others.

Madan Chartered Accountant team
madanca.com
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen and sponsoring my husband. We got married last year. The question I have is regarding how should I file my taxes for previous year. I need to file taxes for 2013 and 2014. We got married at the end of 2013 and have been living together for last 3 years. The confusion about the whole process is that my husband got out of status due to some unavoidable circumstances. I have already checked that u don't need to have status for applying for inland. My only question is how I go about filing my taxes for the last 2 years. Should I include him when I file my taxes. And is there any tax obligations for him as well even though he is out of status and not working. If anybody can shed some light on it it would highly appreciated. He was on a student permit before being out of status.

Do they need his SIN number in my tax forms? Coz he doesn't have a SIN card right now and I don't know how to explain it to the tax people that he's out of status

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jayesskay said:
Do they need his SIN number in my tax forms? Coz he doesn't have a SIN card right now and I don't know how to explain it to the tax people that he's out of status
Is there any reason you need to file taxes for 2013 and 2014? Is it because you and your husband had been living in Canada for the past two years? If not, you might not have to worry about it. As for tax number, your husband can always get a temporary tax number from Revenue Canada.

jayesskay

Feb 4, 2015
steaky said:
Is there any reason you need to file taxes for 2013 and 2014? Is it because you and your husband had been living in Canada for the past two years? If not, you might not have to worry about it. As for tax number, your husband can always get a temporary tax number from Revenue Canada.
thanks for replying.yes me and my husband have been living together in Canada for last 3 years. I need to file taxes because I am sponsoring him and need my tax papers to be sent with my application.
How can he get temporary number from revenue Canada when he's out of status?

faywood

Apr 8, 2015
Hi i need real advice, i have a canadian child but i lost my status last year, can i still pay taxes or file an income tax, i work cash of course, is our child can receive any canadian benefits?thanks