+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Somebody - For the Love of God - Help me

Em W

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
My mother and my youngest sibling (minor) are now eligible to apply for citizenship. I'd like to have my mom take advantage of the online application, but I can't find a firm answer about them applying separately

Can I have my mother apply online on her own while I have my younger sibling apply on his own using the paper-based application?

The dilemma is that the instructions for minors clearly state that if the minor is applying at the same time as his parent then subsection 5(2) should be used which forces my mom to apply using the paper-based application.

Has anyone had their kids apply on their own and had no issues?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
My mother and my youngest sibling (minor) are now eligible to apply for citizenship. I'd like to have my mom take advantage of the online application, but I can't find a firm answer about them applying separately

Can I have my mother apply online on her own while I have my younger sibling apply on his own using the paper-based application?

The dilemma is that the instructions for minors clearly state that if the minor is applying at the same time as his parent then subsection 5(2) should be used which forces my mom to apply using the paper-based application.

Has anyone had their kids apply on their own and had no issues?
Your mother and sibling should apply on paper.. Usually paper applications are getting processed faster..
You can track the paper vs online processing through the sheet mentioned below..
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI/edit#gid=122463273

Qrios1

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
This is bad information.
Sorry but what do you mean by bad information? Xuan has given correct facts. Online applications are for single applicants only at this stage. Later on in 2022 they will open it up to family applications but at this moment, family applications have to be summited by paper application only.
Unfortunately for the OP, their mother should apply together with the minor sibling on paper as was already stated.

Reactions: snoopyta

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Sorry but what do you mean by bad information? Xuan has given correct facts. Online applications are for single applicants only at this stage. Later on in 2022 they will open it up to family applications but at this moment, family applications have to be summited by paper application only.
Unfortunately for the OP, their mother should apply together with the minor sibling on paper as was already stated.
Anyone can apply online as long as they're applying for oneself and meet the other conditions like being over 18 and not being a Canadian government official claiming credit for their tine working outside Canada. Just being part of a family doesn't change that eligibility unless YOU decide to apply with the rest of your family members.

Many people that are part of a family have applied individually via the online application.

There's nothing that forces you to apply with a family member like you're saying. Applying with family or not is your choice. But if you decide to apply with other family members in one envelope, you have to use the paper because they presumably have no mechanism for multiple online applications to be linked and potentially be looked at by the same officer.

The mom can apply anyway she wants as long as she's applying for herself, which is exactly what the OP is asking.

Qrios1

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Anyone can apply online as long as they're applying for oneself and meet the other conditions like being over 18 and not being a Canadian government official claiming credit for their tine working outside Canada. Just being part of a family doesn't change that eligibility unless YOU decide to apply with the rest of your family members.

Many people that are part of a family have applied individually via the online application.

There's nothing that forces you to apply with a family member like you're saying. Applying with family or not is your choice. But if you decide to apply with other family members in one envelope, you have to use the paper because they presumably have no mechanism for multiple online applications to be linked and potentially be looked at by the same officer.

The mom can apply anyway she wants as long as she's applying for herself, which is exactly what the OP is asking.
Ok fair point but how will the kid apply? There is no way they can apply on their own then as they are not over 18 hence forcing the mom to apply as a family application. That’s the point I was making that is applicable to the OP mom’s situation. I suppose the mother could apply on her own and then the minor could apply on their own once they turn 18 but that would be non-sensical as there is no real benefit of doing paper vs online. Yes online single applicants, in my humble opinion, do appear to be processed quicker. Best of luck

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Ok fair point but how will the kid apply? There is no way they can apply on their own then as they are not over 18 hence forcing the mom to apply as a family application. That’s the point I was making that is applicable to the OP mom’s situation. I suppose the mother could apply on her own and then the minor could apply on their own once they turn 18 but that would be non-sensical as there is no real benefit of doing paper vs online. Yes online single applicants, in my humble opinion, do appear to be processed quicker. Best of luck
I think you're right about people applying with kids. I see single people here who thought they were forced to apply online and thought they were not allowed to apply on paper. As soon as they see some paper applicants getting tests faster than their online counterparts they go at IRCC and the paper applicants posting everyday "it's unfair" because they didn't know they were allowed to apply on paper and whether they should now reapply on paper etc.