+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions for PMM, Thaiguy, other experts

bla333

Nov 13, 2007
1. Do I need to bring my previous work reference letters that I submitted during the application process at landing or will this come in handy when I start applying for work?

2. If I have an account with a US Bank that have branches in Canada (HSBC, Citibank), will I still need to open another account upon settling in Canada?

BTW Here's my timeline:
Applied from the US in Buffalo March 2007
AOR April 2007
Request for RPRF and medicals July 2007 (Interview waived)
Passport Request November 2007
Visa Stamped and got COPRs (personal appearance) in Buffalo December 13, 2007
Plan to land on April 2007

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bla333 said:
1. Do I need to bring my previous work reference letters that I submitted during the application process at landing or will this come in handy when I start applying for work?

You will only need them to apply for a job.

2. If I have an account with a US Bank that have branches in Canada (HSBC, Citibank), will I still need to open another account upon settling in Canada?

Yes, unless you enjoy paying exchange rates on every transaction, an having no one accept a cheque on an out of Canada bank.

BTW Here's my timeline:
AOR April 2007
PMM

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Congratulations, bla333!

Echoing what PMM said..

1. References letters are good, but a lot of employers would still like to call your former supervisors/managers for a reference.

2. Visa/Mastercard add 3% of the transaction as a "foreign fee" if your account was opened in the U.S. and you use the card anywhere else. So I would keep the Citibank card for U.S. online purchases or occasional visits to the U.S., and then also get a card from your Canadian bank.

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bla333 said:

BTW Here's my timeline:
AOR April 2007
Hello Bla333,

My wife and I had just submited our application through the buffalo office, and they have already receveid on January 2nd. now we are waiting for the AOR.
Seems to me that your application process went really fast. Good Job and congratulations. I have a question for you. Did you use a lawyer or did you do everything on your own? thanks.

bla333

Nov 13, 2007
PMM, Thaiguy--thanks so much for clarifying the issue. Specially with this volatile exchange rate scenario, you are absolutely right in pointing out the exchange risk.

Traveller74,
no, I did not use a lawyer though I had a lot of help from this forum from good knowledgeable people like PMM and Thaiguy. The key is following the checklist/instructions of CIC in putting together the application. Try to be as complete as possible but only provide them the documents that they need.
I just got lucky since I had 7 years of professional experience in the US and scoring high in the IELTS helps as well. Good Luck to your application.

Cheers
George

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bla333 said:
PMM, Thaiguy--thanks so much for clarifying the issue. Specially with this volatile exchange rate scenario, you are absolutely right in pointing out the exchange risk.

Traveller74,
no, I did not use a lawyer though I had a lot of help from this forum from good knowledgeable people like PMM and Thaiguy. The key is following the checklist/instructions of CIC in putting together the application. Try to be as complete as possible but only provide them the documents that they need.
I just got lucky since I had 7 years of professional experience in the US and scoring high in the IELTS helps as well. Good Luck to your application.

Cheers

bla333 or anybody else that would know the answer,

Were you born and raised in the US? The reason why I am asking is because my wife will be the principal applicant. She is a US citizen raised and born here and she also has 7 years of professional experience. As far as I understand, it would not be necessary for her to do the IELTS. We sent her high school diploma and college diploma from the US and in additional we also sent them a letter explaining her proficiency in English. My question is: Will she need IELTS?

Thank you very much.

George

bla333

Nov 13, 2007
I was not born in the US though I've had extensive International experience in Finance. I think your wife should be okay. Canada values professional experience in the US. Based on the CIC website, the IELTS is a must. I think several years ago you can write them a letter and prove profeciency in English but now I believe it is a requirement regardless. In my opinion, taking the IELTS exams can validate any doubts on an applicants proficiency in english and gives them a good chance of getting a waiver in the interview. Of course Language proficiency is just one part and that the CIC can still require you to come for an interview to clarify some doubts in your application but there's no harm in taking the exam. The IELTS also provide the much needed points requirement for you to get a favorable decision on your app. BTW when I took the IELTS exam, there was an american from Texas who was taking the exam with me intending to move to the Edmonton area.

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bla333 said:
I was not born in the US though I've had extensive International experience in Finance. I think your wife should be okay. Canada values professional experience in the US. Based on the CIC website, the IELTS is a must. I think several years ago you can write them a letter and prove profeciency in English but now I believe it is a requirement regardless. In my opinion, taking the IELTS exams can validate any doubts on an applicants proficiency in english and gives them a good chance of getting a waiver in the interview. Of course Language proficiency is just one part and that the CIC can still require you to come for an interview to clarify some doubts in your application but there's no harm in taking the exam. The IELTS also provide the much needed points requirement for you to get a favorable decision on your app. BTW when I took the IELTS exam, there was an american from Texas who was taking the exam with me intending to move to the Edmonton area.

bal333,

The main reason why she did not take the test was because we live in Phoenix, Arizona and in order for her to take the IELTS she would need to go all the way to Los Angeles or San Diego. I think it was a little out of our way.

Thanks for the information.