+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some queries from a recent graudate

kairulez

Feb 15, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have recently graduated with a diploma in Business Management from Humber in Toronto. Now I want to plan the next two years so that I can get my PR. For this, I will be try to get jobs that can help me in getting PR. However, I have some questions for you guys and it would be really helpful if you answer them :)

1) I was checking the NOC matrix and it states "124 Office administrative assistants - general, legal and medical" in "Skilled Level B" jobs. Therefore, I am thinking of getting a job of administrative assistant to get my PR. Do you think it's a good enough job for PR? There are many opportunities available for this position and it pays good.

2) Do I have to meet any salary requirements? I thought I only had to complete number of hours. If yes, what's the requirement?

3) If I have to two jobs which totals to 37.5 hours/week, will that be ok?

4) I am interested in opening my own small business while I do the job. Can I open a business now or do I have to get PR to do that?

I will also go to some immigration consultant before I plan everything. Can you mention some good ones in Toronto?

Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kairulez said:
1) I was checking the NOC matrix and it states "124 Office administrative assistants - general, legal and medical" in "Skilled Level B" jobs. Therefore, I am thinking of getting a job of administrative assistant to get my PR. Do you think it's a good enough job for PR? There are many opportunities available for this position and it pays good.

As long as the job is skill level O, A, or B, the work experience will qualify.

2) Do I have to meet any salary requirements?

No.

3) If I have to two jobs which totals to 37.5 hours/week, will that be ok?

Yes.

4) I am interested in opening my own small business while I do the job. Can I open a business now or do I have to get PR to do that?

Two jobs and a small business at the same time? Can't fault you for lack of ambition :) What kind of work permit do you have?

kairulez

Feb 15, 2012
Thank you for your reply, jes_ON.

So, I checked out the NOC and NOC code for administrative assistant is 1241

From my knowledge, it comes under Level B, right?

I have just got my post graduation work permit. I am interested in opening my own photography business. How can that help me in getting my PR?

Lastly, do I have to extend my visa after getting my post graduation work permit or is the work permit good enough?

Thanks again!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kairulez said:
So, I checked out the NOC and NOC code for administrative assistant is 1241
From my knowledge, it comes under Level B, right?

Yes, but you'll have to be careful with this - there are similiar positions ("office assistant") that are skill level C, and if CIC can challenge you on this if the responsibilities and salary look more like an office assistant.

I have just got my post graduation work permit. I am interested in opening my own photography business. How can that help me in getting my PR?

It can't. Advise waiting until you get PR.

Lastly, do I have to extend my visa after getting my post graduation work permit or is the work permit good enough?

The PGWP extends the visa. However, if you plan to travel and require a travel visa, you will have to apply for that.