+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing questions

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
Hello,

I am planning for a soft landing in a few months. I would be staying in Canada for a couple of weeks before I come back. Then I can move for good maybe later in 2018 or 2019. Can anyone suggest how can I make the best out of it? I would be applying for PR card of course. Can I apply for social security in that period? What other things can I get done during my short stay?

Any help is appreciated. Also people who are planning for soft landing please share your ideas.
Thanks.

Reactions: Wolverine17

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
I see a lot of benefit in getting the SIN number on day 1, followed by opening a bank account and applying for credit card on the same day with the bank. This starts the credit building sooner. I have US driving license and history, so I am thinking to get the driving license on day 2. My intention is to get anything that establishes credit/driving history sooner, so as to get the benefits linked to these sooner than later. A lot of things like insurance rates, auto loans, apartments on rent, mortgage for homes etc depend on the credit history to a large extent..
I think I will have 2 days max, so I can get some of these things rolling.. I can wait for health insurance until I move completely, but since it takes 3 months to kick in, maybe applying for that is also a good idea if you are returning back to Canada in 3-5 months.
Still looking for suggestions from other people here who are in Canada already or did a soft landing in the past.

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Following can be done
- apply for SIN. For some this happens at the POE
- open a bank account
- if possible get a credit card. This can help you in building credit history
- if you have to start from scratch, apply for driving license if possible. There is a waiting period before one can apply for the next level, hence your time out of Canada would help.
- medical insurance avoid. However, would like someone to confirm.
- as you would be returning to you home country in two weeks, make arrangements for receiving the PR card. PR card can only be delivered to a Canadian address. So you would need a Canadian address and then forward the card to your home country. Look into the different options available.

Reactions: Baahubali

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
I see a lot of benefit in getting the SIN number on day 1, followed by opening a bank account and applying for credit card on the same day with the bank. This starts the credit building sooner. I have US driving license and history, so I am thinking to get the driving license on day 2. My intention is to get anything that establishes credit/driving history sooner, so as to get the benefits linked to these sooner than later. A lot of things like insurance rates, auto loans, apartments on rent, mortgage for homes etc depend on the credit history to a large extent..
I think I will have 2 days max, so I can get some of these things rolling.. I can wait for health insurance until I move completely, but since it takes 3 months to kick in, maybe applying for that is also a good idea if you are returning back to Canada in 3-5 months.
Still looking for suggestions from other people here who are in Canada already or did a soft landing in the past.
Do you think having a US driving license can aid in getting a Canadian one? I had a US driving license but it expired a couple of years ago.

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Do you think having a US driving license can aid in getting a Canadian one? I had a US driving license but it expired a couple of years ago.
Yes.there are different classes for driving licence in Canada. I don't have the details but for people with DL from some countries like US UK, you can exchange that for Canada driving licence. Else you go through a slow permit process.. I think if you have atleast 2 years of US driving history you can get the regular Canadian DL without tests or something... Do a search on DL for Canada.

Reactions: Baahubali

heynow

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Do you have to submit original passport for SIN? As per Canada.ca it can take upto 20 days for SIN to process. Can you open a bank account without your passport and SIN?

MattyTj

Mar 7, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have to submit original passport for SIN? As per Canada.ca it can take upto 20 days for SIN to process. Can you open a bank account without your passport and SIN?
I've heard you get your SIN number instantly by providing your landing documents. If you land at an airport you can usually get it right there during business hours. :)

You must have an official ID (such as landing papers, passport, etc) and a SIN to open any Canadian bank account.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I can wait for health insurance until I move completely, but since it takes 3 months to kick in, maybe applying for that is also a good idea if you are returning back to Canada in 3-5 months.
You can't apply for provincial health coverage until you actually move to Canada.

Reactions: angelistamaria

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
I've heard you get your SIN number instantly by providing your landing documents. If you land at an airport you can usually get it right there during business hours. :)

You must have an official ID (such as landing papers, passport, etc) and a SIN to open any Canadian bank account.
I heard its a matter of walking in and you get the SIN number right there. It takes under an hour if you go first thing in the morning at 8:30am.

Can any one confirm??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I heard its a matter of walking in and you get the SIN number right there. It takes under an hour if you go first thing in the morning at 8:30am.

Can any one confirm??
Takes about 10 minutes if there is no line-up.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Ok guys might sound stupid but can anyone shed some light on how to apply for sin and what are the advantages and usage of sin,i am also planning to do a soft landing