+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing (for a week) based on recent travel policy changes

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi, I am planning to do a soft landing via Peace Arch border crossing. However, I intend to stay in British Columbia for a week instead of returning back the same day. With several changes implemented on travel in the recent past, I wanted to get some clarity.

- I've read on the forum that it's recommended to do a soft landing and turn around from the Canadian side if the intention is to not move permanently. Is this still generally suggested even for vaccinated folks?
- Can SIN and banking application services be availed right now with things getting back to normal in the recent past?
- Can a US-based rental car be used to drive around British Columbia (for a week)?
- Lastly, from a checklist point of view, what are some things that are suggested to be done after landing?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi, I am planning to do a soft landing via Peace Arch border crossing. However, I intend to stay in British Columbia for a week instead of returning back the same day. With several changes implemented on travel in the recent past, I wanted to get some clarity.

- I've read on the forum that it's recommended to do a soft landing and turn around from the Canadian side if the intention is to not move permanently. Is this still generally suggested even for vaccinated folks?
- Can SIN and banking application services be availed right now with things getting back to normal in the recent past?
- Can a US-based rental car be used to drive around British Columbia (for a week)?
- Lastly, from a checklist point of view, what are some things that are suggested to be done after landing?
1)If you are landing and intend not to move, you will have to explain them what are you planning to do in a week time. Most probably they will not say anything but again you will be asked to take a pcr test on arrival. yes, its the same for Vaccinated folks, and only vaccinated folks are allowed as of now. No
2)SIN can be done on the same day of your landing or max the next day. Banking as far as i remember you would need a permanent address/proof to put on the file(you can give your friends/relatives address though). I would suggest you to open an account only once you move permanently as you will have new comer offers. If your plan is to come after a year and open a bank account now, you wouldn't benefit of those offers.
3)Yes.
4)Nothing unless you are moving permanently. I would say you can go around and search for some rental places if your plan is to move in coming two or 3 months time.

Reactions: j9lad

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Thank you so much, @swan0206 . Really appreciate the detailed response.

I'm landing on a Friday afternoon and our return flight is on Monday morning, so I just have one question regarding SIN -based on your experience, would it be suggested to apply for SIN in-person as opposed to doing it online? I'm not sure if I'll have time to apply, considering the Service Centers are closed on weekends. I'm wondering if I should reschedule my flight to extend my return, in case applying online typically takes time.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thank you so much, @swan0206 . Really appreciate the detailed response.

I'm landing on a Friday afternoon and our return flight is on Monday morning, so I just have one question regarding SIN -based on your experience, would it be suggested to apply for SIN in-person as opposed to doing it online? I'm not sure if I'll have time to apply, considering the Service Centers are closed on weekends. I'm wondering if I should reschedule my flight to extend my return, in case applying online typically takes time.
Hi,
I have no idea on how applying online works. But for in-person, it would be real quick, because they give it to you on spot. I took it pre-pandemic and it was a walk-in. Now the rules might have changed, you might need an appointment(or walk-ins still might be allowed, not sure). please call and check the location in advance so that if you cannot get an appointment during your landing dates, you can go for online application.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi,
I have no idea on how applying online works. But for in-person, it would be real quick, because they give it to you on spot. I took it pre-pandemic and it was a walk-in. Now the rules might have changed, you might need an appointment(or walk-ins still might be allowed, not sure). please call and check the location in advance so that if you cannot get an appointment during your landing dates, you can go for online application.
Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying. I'll look to see if this can be done in-person. Appreciate your suggestions :)