+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience Sharing

chris655

Oct 16, 2017
Hey guys

We want to share our experience in our recent soft landing at the Vancouver International Airport on 23 July 2019. I'm the Sponsor (CDN Citizen) and my wife was the PA. Some background information... My wife's immigration visa expires on 10 Aug 2019 and we were in Canada from 23/7 to 08/08.

Prior to Departure
  • Since my wife is Mainland Chinese, the Hong Kong VO issued her a single-entry visa on her passport.
  • We brought more than $10K CAD, so we filled out the E677 form (more about this below)
  • We completed a list of goods being brought into Canada
Arrival

Customs

We arrived in Vancouver Airport (YVR) via Air Canada (AC8). We already filled out the Arrival Declaration Card on the airplane where i checked "Yes" for more than $10K and Food.

There was minimal wait time for our turn at the immigration counter. When it was out turn, we produced our passports, COPR and declaration card. The CBSA officer was super nice and welcomed my wife to Canada and asked us very brief questions regarding our declaration (like did i fill out E677 for the money and what type of food i'm bringing). After 5 minutes, she let us through and get our luagges from baggage claims. Proceeded to the Immigration office within YVR.

Immigration

There was a small luggage cart parking area just outside the immigration office and we were required to park our belongings there. We were then led inside by one of the airport volunteers to be met with a security guard. We were told to write down our address where the PR card will be mailed to and we proceed to the line up for the actual processing.

The line wasn't too long but still took about 40 minutes for our turn since there was only one CBSA officer working at the time. A new officer showed up and called us up to her counter and asked for all the previous documents. Here are the main points

• Since we are doing a soft landing (not settling), and that our provided address is not that of a family member, she said she will not issue us a PR Card this trip. Additionally, she told us that IRCC recently changed their ways of issuing PR card that they don't want friends to mail PR cards internationally. So, no PR cards for us for now
  • For the money form, the officer didn't need it because it was not cash or travel cheques but it was a wire transfer - which the banks has already verify the origins of the money. The E677 was not required
  • For the list of Goods, she said the major items she looks at are the big ticket items (any jewelries, electronics, etc). She paid extra attention to the jewelries that my wife received during our wedding (it's a chinese thing) and she said that there should be photos and receipts for these items. We told her that there is no receipts since they are wedding gifts. The office then said (paraphrased) "well, then next time, when you enter Canada, produce photos of the day(s) of the wedding showing you wearing the jewelries)
The officer was super nice and very understanding. She signed the COPR, took the copy with the photo, and gave us back the COPR without the photo and stapled it in my wife's passport, welcomed her to Canada, and we were on our way out!.

SIN Number

By the time we walked out the airport, it was 7pm. We decided to do the SIN number the next day at the Sinclair Centre in Downtown Vancouver. There was NO ONE at the line up and we were served immediately. The Service Canada rep just asked to see the signed COPR, Passport and any contact information. As many of you know, the SIN number no longer comes in a Card form but a simple letter. The rep welcomed my wife to Canada and we left!

Overall

It was a very smooth landing experience. I think the key is to prep all the required documents way ahead of time and organize them so that they are easy to read and process.

Let me know if you any questions!

raghu343

Jun 6, 2019
Hello!! First of all, thanks for a detailed summary of your experience. Glad it went so smoothly for you.
I have a few questions that I am hoping to get answers to:
1. We mentioned our city of destination as Toronto in our CoPR and are planning to do a soft landing in November in Toronto but we wish for our PR cards be sent to Calgary. Will that be a problem?
2. From what you wrote, is it not recommended to give out a friend’s address or is it against the rules? Also, is it ok for us to give out a family member’s address for our PR cards to be delivered to?
3. How long would you suggest we stay in Canada to finish all the formalities? (It looks like it took you a couple of days)
I appreciate any and all the input I can get. Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!! First of all, thanks for a detailed summary of your experience. Glad it went so smoothly for you.
I have a few questions that I am hoping to get answers to:
1. We mentioned our city of destination as Toronto in our CoPR and are planning to do a soft landing in November in Toronto but we wish for our PR cards be sent to Calgary. Will that be a problem?
2. From what you wrote, is it not recommended to give out a friend’s address or is it against the rules? Also, is it ok for us to give out a family member’s address for our PR cards to be delivered to?
3. How long would you suggest we stay in Canada to finish all the formalities? (It looks like it took you a couple of days)
I appreciate any and all the input I can get. Thanks in advance.
Looks like the policy may have changed and you are no longer allowed to send your PR card to friends or family. You can technically land for a day if you want.

raghu343

Jun 6, 2019
Looks like the policy may have changed and you are no longer allowed to send your PR card to friends or family. You can technically land for a day if you want.
Thank you for the reply and I am very sorry for not responding sooner. For some reason I did not get an email notification.

chris655

Oct 16, 2017
1. I don't think it matters where you land. However, it might be a problem if the CBSA officer suspect that you will not be at the address where the PR card is being sent. - which is what happened to us. Not a big deal, just apply for the Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) before the next time you return to Canada.

2. Remember that you the only person to receive the PR card. If for any reason the CBSA officer suspect you will not be there to receive your PR card, s/he can delay the issuance of the card. The PR card usually arrives 2 months after you land. So if you can convince the officer that you are only leaving for a short time, then you might get your card.

3. Depends on your definition of "formalities". If you are on a tight schedule, I would say your SIN number is the only thing. If you go to a Service Canada first thing in the morning, it will take you maybe 10mins. Everything else (medical card, drivers license, bank accounts, etc) can be done when you come back.

raghu343

Jun 6, 2019
1. I don't think it matters where you land. However, it might be a problem if the CBSA officer suspect that you will not be at the address where the PR card is being sent. - which is what happened to us. Not a big deal, just apply for the Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) before the next time you return to Canada.

2. Remember that you the only person to receive the PR card. If for any reason the CBSA officer suspect you will not be there to receive your PR card, s/he can delay the issuance of the card. The PR card usually arrives 2 months after you land. So if you can convince the officer that you are only leaving for a short time, then you might get your card.

3. Depends on your definition of "formalities". If you are on a tight schedule, I would say your SIN number is the only thing. If you go to a Service Canada first thing in the morning, it will take you maybe 10mins. Everything else (medical card, drivers license, bank accounts, etc) can be done when you come back.
Thank you for your response chris.

immig95

Star Member
Jun 27, 2017
Hey guys

We want to share our experience in our recent soft landing at the Vancouver International Airport on 23 July 2019. I'm the Sponsor (CDN Citizen) and my wife was the PA. Some background information... My wife's immigration visa expires on 10 Aug 2019 and we were in Canada from 23/7 to 08/08.

Prior to Departure
  • Since my wife is Mainland Chinese, the Hong Kong VO issued her a single-entry visa on her passport.
  • We brought more than $10K CAD, so we filled out the E677 form (more about this below)
  • We completed a list of goods being brought into Canada
Arrival

Customs

We arrived in Vancouver Airport (YVR) via Air Canada (AC8). We already filled out the Arrival Declaration Card on the airplane where i checked "Yes" for more than $10K and Food.

There was minimal wait time for our turn at the immigration counter. When it was out turn, we produced our passports, COPR and declaration card. The CBSA officer was super nice and welcomed my wife to Canada and asked us very brief questions regarding our declaration (like did i fill out E677 for the money and what type of food i'm bringing). After 5 minutes, she let us through and get our luagges from baggage claims. Proceeded to the Immigration office within YVR.

Immigration

There was a small luggage cart parking area just outside the immigration office and we were required to park our belongings there. We were then led inside by one of the airport volunteers to be met with a security guard. We were told to write down our address where the PR card will be mailed to and we proceed to the line up for the actual processing.

The line wasn't too long but still took about 40 minutes for our turn since there was only one CBSA officer working at the time. A new officer showed up and called us up to her counter and asked for all the previous documents. Here are the main points

• Since we are doing a soft landing (not settling), and that our provided address is not that of a family member, she said she will not issue us a PR Card this trip. Additionally, she told us that IRCC recently changed their ways of issuing PR card that they don't want friends to mail PR cards internationally. So, no PR cards for us for now
  • For the money form, the officer didn't need it because it was not cash or travel cheques but it was a wire transfer - which the banks has already verify the origins of the money. The E677 was not required
  • For the list of Goods, she said the major items she looks at are the big ticket items (any jewelries, electronics, etc). She paid extra attention to the jewelries that my wife received during our wedding (it's a chinese thing) and she said that there should be photos and receipts for these items. We told her that there is no receipts since they are wedding gifts. The office then said (paraphrased) "well, then next time, when you enter Canada, produce photos of the day(s) of the wedding showing you wearing the jewelries)
The officer was super nice and very understanding. She signed the COPR, took the copy with the photo, and gave us back the COPR without the photo and stapled it in my wife's passport, welcomed her to Canada, and we were on our way out!.

SIN Number

By the time we walked out the airport, it was 7pm. We decided to do the SIN number the next day at the Sinclair Centre in Downtown Vancouver. There was NO ONE at the line up and we were served immediately. The Service Canada rep just asked to see the signed COPR, Passport and any contact information. As many of you know, the SIN number no longer comes in a Card form but a simple letter. The rep welcomed my wife to Canada and we left!

Overall

It was a very smooth landing experience. I think the key is to prep all the required documents way ahead of time and organize them so that they are easy to read and process.

Let me know if you any questions!
Did they question how much money you bring now or bring later?