AOR Received.
08-05-2023
Med's Done....
16-05-2023
Passport Req..
26-09-2023
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2023
Hi all, I thought I'd provide an update on how my soft landing was at Pearson Airport (YYZ) on 22 November 2023.

I arrived around 10:00 and brought my entire folder of application documents with me just in case. After scanning my passport at the kiosk, I was directed by the agent checking paperwork to the immigration office and was told to file my customs paperwork downstairs if I was declaring anything. The line was quite long, as it was the intake centre for all types of visa applicants. I waited about 90 minutes to be seen by a CBSA officer. They asked the usual questions (have you been convicted of a crime, do you have dependants, etc.) and then they stamped my passport and signed my COPR form. The officer also took the COPR copy that had my photo attached and asked me for my mailing address in Canada. Nobody asked for any application documents, nor any proof of funds, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared! I was directed to the Newcomers counter and received some paperwork from them on how to get set up in Canada.

Down in baggage claim, by carousel #7, there was a Service Canada kiosk where I was able to obtain my social insurance number (SIN). Following that, I did not have any goods to declare and the customs officer directed me to declare my belongings when I permanently move.

I had already planned to go to Montreal that evening, so I headed downtown on the UP Express and checked my baggage with VIA Rail for $6 at Union Station. I then headed out to Downsview Park to the DriveTest centre to exchange my driver's licence. Since I plan on moving soon, I figured it's a good time to get this done. They required my current licence (from a US state) and an abstract of my driving record to show that I've been continuously licensed for 2+ years. Aside from my current licence and passport, they just had me write down my Canadian address on a notecard and took that as proof of address. The total time including waiting for my ticket number to be called was only 25 minutes! They printed a temporary licence on the spot and will mail the card.

I also was able to open a CIBC account with cheap USD/CAD conversion and a travel rewards credit card to start building my credit score. All of these errands plus landing formalities took just six hours and I had extra time to wander around Toronto before leaving to Montreal for a few days.

I'm back in the States now and have my mail being auto-forwarded to my US address. Once I get my PR card, I'll be moving within a couple of weeks. Hopefully this helps others on here and don't hesitate to DM me with questions!

Reactions: Rjsm15 and longvh

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Hi all, I thought I'd provide an update on how my soft landing was at Pearson Airport (YYZ) on 22 November 2023.

I arrived around 10:00 and brought my entire folder of application documents with me just in case. After scanning my passport at the kiosk, I was directed by the agent checking paperwork to the immigration office and was told to file my customs paperwork downstairs if I was declaring anything. The line was quite long, as it was the intake centre for all types of visa applicants. I waited about 90 minutes to be seen by a CBSA officer. They asked the usual questions (have you been convicted of a crime, do you have dependants, etc.) and then they stamped my passport and signed my COPR form. The officer also took the COPR copy that had my photo attached and asked me for my mailing address in Canada. Nobody asked for any application documents, nor any proof of funds, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared! I was directed to the Newcomers counter and received some paperwork from them on how to get set up in Canada.

Down in baggage claim, by carousel #7, there was a Service Canada kiosk where I was able to obtain my social insurance number (SIN). Following that, I did not have any goods to declare and the customs officer directed me to declare my belongings when I permanently move.

I had already planned to go to Montreal that evening, so I headed downtown on the UP Express and checked my baggage with VIA Rail for $6 at Union Station. I then headed out to Downsview Park to the DriveTest centre to exchange my driver's licence. Since I plan on moving soon, I figured it's a good time to get this done. They required my current licence (from a US state) and an abstract of my driving record to show that I've been continuously licensed for 2+ years. Aside from my current licence and passport, they just had me write down my Canadian address on a notecard and took that as proof of address. The total time including waiting for my ticket number to be called was only 25 minutes! They printed a temporary licence on the spot and will mail the card.

I also was able to open a CIBC account with cheap USD/CAD conversion and a travel rewards credit card to start building my credit score. All of these errands plus landing formalities took just six hours and I had extra time to wander around Toronto before leaving to Montreal for a few days.

I'm back in the States now and have my mail being auto-forwarded to my US address. Once I get my PR card, I'll be moving within a couple of weeks. Hopefully this helps others on here and don't hesitate to DM me with questions!
Great post, really helpful. Can you clarify couple of things for me?

Where to get the abstract for the driving record
And how you could auto forward the mail from Canada to USA

Thanks,
Anand

sisaacwork

Jun 2, 2023
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
08-05-2023
Doc's Request.
16-05-2023
AOR Received.
08-05-2023
Med's Done....
16-05-2023
Passport Req..
26-09-2023
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2023
Happy to help!

Your driving abstract comes from your state's licensing department. In Illinois it's the Secretary of State's office and you can obtain them here for USD$20: https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/drivers/drivers_license/purchaseabstract.html

My mail is forwarded from a mailbox I rented through Anytime Mailbox (https://www.anytimemailbox.com/). I haven't had any issues and their customer service is good. The receiver will either shred, forward, or open/scan your mail for you for different prices. I pay CAD$9.99 a month for a mailbox in southern Ontario.

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
@sisaacwork I had few questions, hoping you can clarify.
1. Could you give mailbox number as your address instead of a home address. I heard we cannot provide mailbox number for PR card
2. You could forward the PR card to US address? If yes that's really helpful
3. When you applied for drivers license, which address did you provide. Did you provide your friend address for license number?
4. When you say exchange of license, will they shred the US license?
5. Did you provide GTC and GTF documents when you did your soft landing?

Thank you in advance.

sisaacwork

Jun 2, 2023
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
08-05-2023
Doc's Request.
16-05-2023
AOR Received.
08-05-2023
Med's Done....
16-05-2023
Passport Req..
26-09-2023
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2023
@anandsin Happy to help!

1. Yes, I gave a mailbox number to IRCC for my address, but make sure it's written as a "Unit" number and not "Box" number. They won't accept a P.O. Box or the like.
2. Yes, the service I use, Anytime Mailbox, allowed for forwarding the card. Once it was received at my Ontario mailbox, I received it in Chicago in four days via UPS for a small fee.
3. I provided the same address for my driver's licence. They do not ask for proof of residency like they usually do in the U.S. I only had to write down the address for them and provide a driving record abstract from my home state proving I have been continuously licenced for 2+ years.
4. I'm not sure what they do with the U.S. licence, but they do take it from you. You can always order a duplicate from your home state (that's what I did when I got back as I'd like to hold both licences).
5. I did not provide GTC/GTF forms when I landed, although I came prepared with an inventory of GTF. The customs officer I asked about it waved me through and said to do it when I land 'permanently'

Let me know if you have other questions!

Reactions: anandsin

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
@anandsin Happy to help!

1. Yes, I gave a mailbox number to IRCC for my address, but make sure it's written as a "Unit" number and not "Box" number. They won't accept a P.O. Box or the like.
2. Yes, the service I use, Anytime Mailbox, allowed for forwarding the card. Once it was received at my Ontario mailbox, I received it in Chicago in four days via UPS for a small fee.
3. I provided the same address for my driver's licence. They do not ask for proof of residency like they usually do in the U.S. I only had to write down the address for them and provide a driving record abstract from my home state proving I have been continuously licenced for 2+ years.
4. I'm not sure what they do with the U.S. licence, but they do take it from you. You can always order a duplicate from your home state (that's what I did when I got back as I'd like to hold both licences).
5. I did not provide GTC/GTF forms when I landed, although I came prepared with an inventory of GTF. The customs officer I asked about it waved me through and said to do it when I land 'permanently'

Let me know if you have other questions!
@sisaacwork thank you for all the information. It is really helpful.