+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing due in April 2017 -- Which Area to Book Accommodation

sarahsos

Jun 29, 2016
I'm planning to do my soft landing in April next month and though I booked my ticket I'm not sure what hotel to book and in which area. I will be arriving and departing in Toronto (Pearson International airport). I'm planning to complete the landing procedures + get my SIN done + open a bank account + maybe do the written driving test.

So which area in Toronto should I be looking to stay in?

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
how much is your budget?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
You could book an Airbnb apartment for a a few days in downtown Toronto. Cheaper than a hotel but IMO better with more space in case accompanying family. Downtown means less hassle traveling as you could walk and/or use the subway trains to get around.

You could complete all three in 1 day if you plan well

sarahsos

Jun 29, 2016
lifein360 said:
You could book an Airbnb apartment for a a few days in downtown Toronto. Cheaper than a hotel but IMO better with more space in case accompanying family. Downtown means less hassle traveling as you could walk and/or use the subway trains to get around.

You could complete all three in 1 day if you plan well
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I could finish so much in one day, it's crazy.

Reha1212

Dec 19, 2016
Category........
Downtown Toronto sounds good but you could always look for other places that you could use public transit (TTC) and travel to downtown in around an hour. I lived in Scarborough while I was studying at UTSC..You can take the subway and you ll be at Young and Bloor (downtown) in 45 mins. You could always get your paperwork done at local offices as well. Go to Scarborough Town Center to get your SIN and take your driving test somewhere in Scarborough. You dont have to be in downtown area for those. And it will be much cheaper to find a place to stay.

(I gave Scarborough as an example though, same applies to other places like Mississauga, Richmond Hill, etc.)

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Reha1212 said:
Downtown Toronto sounds good but you could always look for other places that you could use public transit (TTC) and travel to downtown in around an hour. I lived in Scarborough while I was studying at UTSC..You can take the subway and you ll be at Young and Bloor (downtown) in 45 mins. You could always get your paperwork done at local offices as well. Go to Scarborough Town Center to get your SIN and take your driving test somewhere in Scarborough. You dont have to be in downtown area for those. And it will be much cheaper to find a place to stay.

(I gave Scarborough as an example though, same applies to other places like Mississauga, Richmond Hill, etc.)
That is a good point. There is a test center near Vic Park right?

Yeah Scarborough is great too, but in case you want to check out Toronto city and walk around to see stuff and don't mind to spend a little more, I would suggest downtown. Tons of good Airbnb options with easy walkability and subway connectivity. Else if you're on a tight budget, I would suggest Scarborough.

If you want location suggestions, look at Yonge Bloor, Yorkville, Financial District - the show up in the AirBnB app

I personally wouldn't recommend the other suburbs like Richmond Hill and Mississauga because it is a lot more hassle to get downtown from there with transit connectivity needing multiple transfers etc and nothing is walkable.

Itsmee

Sep 28, 2015
sarahsos said:
I'm planning to do my soft landing in April next month and though I booked my ticket I'm not sure what hotel to book and in which area. I will be arriving and departing in Toronto (Pearson International airport). I'm planning to complete the landing procedures + get my SIN done + open a bank account + maybe do the written driving test.

So which area in Toronto should I be looking to stay in?

If you have budget, Downtown due to convenience. GTA (Scarborough, north York) cheaper but challenging for new person.