+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing done 1.5 years ago - Now personal interview for replacement of lost PR card

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Hi members,

Our current situation:
We (me, my husband and 2 children) are currently living in USA and did a soft landing (2 days) in Toronto in Aug 2018 to become PRs. We had given our friend's address for our PR cards. Unfortunately, our friend lost my husband's PR card (the rest of us were able to collect our PR cards). After reading up regarding the relevant procedure for lost PR cards, my husband applied for a PRTD in Sept 2019. During the PRTD application, IRCC stated that according to their records, the PR card has already been issued. We explained the situation and told them that we are now planning our move and would need PRTD for that. Then in Dec 2019, my husband traveled to Vancouver for 2 days and applied for a replacement PR card (since to apply for PR card, he had to be in Canada). Now he has received a letter with an appointment date and time (within next 2 weeks) in Vancouver where he has to appear. The letter says that this is regarding his PR card. He can travel to Canada and make this appointment (since we are in USA and also since he has a valid multi entry PRTD). But we are uneasy about the nature of the appointment since we thought that PR cards are sent by mail.

Any advice on the following would help:
1. We are not sure if this is just for him to physically collect his card, or if his case has somehow been flagged for investigation. According to him, the immigration officer at Vancouver airport (during his Dec 2019 visit to apply for replacement PR card) did seem a bit puzzled with his explanation that he is a PR but not yet residing in Canada and is only visiting Canada for 2 days. Could this be an interview to establish residency? As far as we understand, we are not in violation of the residency requirements since even though we have been outside of Canada for nearly the entire time since becoming the PR, we have actually been PR for only about a year and a half.
2. What else can IRCC ask during the interview and what all should he prepare for (documents wise).
3. The letter mentions some basic documents to bring such as all passports, COPR, all documents attached to original PR card application and a "Valid photo identification issued by a provincial or federal agency (e.g. driving license)". Clearly he does not have this document since we have not really moved to Canada yet. Should taking his US driver's licence suffice?
4. What are the possible outcomes of this interview/appointment?

Anyone in a similar situation, please advise.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi members,

Our current situation:
We (me, my husband and 2 children) are currently living in USA and did a soft landing (2 days) in Toronto in Aug 2018 to become PRs. We had given our friend's address for our PR cards. Unfortunately, our friend lost my husband's PR card (the rest of us were able to collect our PR cards). After reading up regarding the relevant procedure for lost PR cards, my husband applied for a PRTD in Sept 2019. During the PRTD application, IRCC stated that according to their records, the PR card has already been issued. We explained the situation and told them that we are now planning our move and would need PRTD for that. Then in Dec 2019, my husband traveled to Vancouver for 2 days and applied for a replacement PR card (since to apply for PR card, he had to be in Canada). Now he has received a letter with an appointment date and time (within next 2 weeks) in Vancouver where he has to appear. The letter says that this is regarding his PR card. He can travel to Canada and make this appointment (since we are in USA and also since he has a valid multi entry PRTD). But we are uneasy about the nature of the appointment since we thought that PR cards are sent by mail.

Any advice on the following would help:
1. We are not sure if this is just for him to physically collect his card, or if his case has somehow been flagged for investigation. According to him, the immigration officer at Vancouver airport (during his Dec 2019 visit to apply for replacement PR card) did seem a bit puzzled with his explanation that he is a PR but not yet residing in Canada and is only visiting Canada for 2 days. Could this be an interview to establish residency? As far as we understand, we are not in violation of the residency requirements since even though we have been outside of Canada for nearly the entire time since becoming the PR, we have actually been PR for only about a year and a half.
2. What else can IRCC ask during the interview and what all should he prepare for (documents wise).
3. The letter mentions some basic documents to bring such as all passports, COPR, all documents attached to original PR card application and a "Valid photo identification issued by a provincial or federal agency (e.g. driving license)". Clearly he does not have this document since we have not really moved to Canada yet. Should taking his US driver's licence suffice?
4. What are the possible outcomes of this interview/appointment?

Anyone in a similar situation, please advise.
1. They want to verify his info. It is extremely common to require in person pick-up when a person is residing outside of Canada.

2. Bring whatever they asked for and whatever docs he submitted in the app.

3. Yes, his US ID should be fine.

4. He gets his PR card.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Thank you so much for your response. This eases some of my anxiety. I will update the thread of final outcome once the interview is complete.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can also be due to fact original card recorded as lost so by requesting a pickup IRCC are simply following some anti fraud protocol as opposed to simply mailing out a replacement.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
My husband got his new PR card at his scheduled appointment with IRCC.
Thank you @canuk_in_uk and @Bs65 for your replies.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
1. They want to verify his info. It is extremely common to require in person pick-up when a person is residing outside of Canada.

2. Bring whatever they asked for and whatever docs he submitted in the app.

3. Yes, his US ID should be fine.

4. He gets his PR card.
Hi @canuck_in_uk
My friend recently came back to Canada with the help of his PRTD and now wants to apply for a new PR card as his PR card was lost in a foreign country.
Can you share how does this process work? After sending application, will he receive a separate AOR in his email and after that can he track the processing through his gckey account?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html

Is this the correct link to follow application process?
Sorry, too many questions.