+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social customs in Canada

lieudefroid

Nov 29, 2015
In the last 8 months that I'm here, I've observed quite a bit of Canadian social customs and language use, and wanted to share for the benefit of newcomers.

Social Customs:

Always let ladies to get out/go-in first when getting into elevators, lifts, bus/trains. Ladies first really happens everywhere and if we are not observant and jump ahead of a lady, others might think we're being rude and expect some kinda 'sorry'

In places such as above, if two people come at the same time and if there is only space for one, say "after you" and let the other person hop on first. If you have to rush, say sorry.

Take people out for coffee or lunch. This is the way people do business or network.. (PS: We can go out to bars with friends or after becoming close colleagues but stop with 2 beers. Coffee or lunch is still the way to network.)

Supper happens at 6 to 7 pm. Beyond that is considered late. So make dinner plans for this time.

Suffix any request with "please", even in cases if the sentence itself looks like a request. For example, in Britain, "Can I take this" might pass of as being polite, but in here a please seems to be expected. "Can I take this book please"

If your voice or accent sounds rude, try to make conversations more friendly such as using words like friend, buddy, mate etc. (For example with taxi drivers, handymen or other labor folks, but please don't do this in official surroundings)

English Language:

The words used to refer to common day-to-day stuff could be different from where you come from, and if we don't use the Canadian word, people don't understand and ask us to repeat, which could be a bit awkward for someone who comes from an English speaking country. I'll try to make a growing list here.

Line instead of queue, as in "Is there a line here", or "are you in a line"
Trash instead of bin or dustbin, as in "where is the trash here"
'What's that' instead of Pardon me, to request someone to repeat themselves
Supper instead of Dinner
Savage, wicked, awesome instead of 'very good'. Just different ways to say something is cool, rather than a boring 'very good'

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You've got to say please in Britain too.

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
foodie69 said:
Also "right" a lot.. ;D
Yeah, I've noticed that people in Toronto say "right" a lot at the end of a statement. Do people in other parts of Canada also say it?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
smtele said:
Yeah, I've noticed that people in Toronto say "right" a lot at the end of a statement. Do people in other parts of Canada also say it?
Yes, here in Vancouver, too..

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
smtele said:
And dont forget finishing a sentence sometimes with 'eh'. You probably heard it sometimes , eh ?

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
oh yeah, that's a classic ;D

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Demanding service will fail. Always ask nicely no matter what the circumstances. I have an accent and I have found that I have to be particularly careful about articulating requests for service. A lot of accents and language specific request for service may come across and demanding. Always ask nicely. Always say please and thank you. Get you a long way

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
The 3 magic words will always go a long way.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Greet and talk to everyone. Strangers on a bus, fellow travellers in an elevator etc. They really appreciate it, and you could end up making new friends.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hot2Cold said:
Greet and talk to everyone. Strangers on a bus, fellow travellers in an elevator etc. They really appreciate it, and you could end up making new friends.
I had train friends in India and would love to make friends that way. This never happens in the UK. Everyone is either reading the newspaper or on their phones. Eye contact and conversations with strangers are frowned up. If you must make conversation, it has to be about the weather.

There is a thin line between genuinely striking up a conversation and being inquisitive. I get annoyed with random Indians see my Indian face and ask me which visa I am on and why I am here. I dont entertain those conversations.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
xpressentry said:
I had train friends in India and would love to make friends that way. This never happens in the UK. Everyone is either reading the newspaper or on their phones. Eye contact and conversations with strangers are frowned up. If you must make conversation, it has to be about the weather.

There is a thin line between genuinely striking up a conversation and being inquisitive. I get annoyed with random Indians see my Indian face and ask me which visa I am on and why I am here. I dont entertain those conversations.
I had a mix of both in Saskatchewan. Indians as well as Canadians were happy to talk and offer help. No real inquisitiveness from Indians, but all were willing to offer help.

lieudefroid

Nov 29, 2015
I want to continue posting my experiences on this topic.

Social attitudes to a newcomers

I'm forced to engage mostly with non-immigrant Canadians in the workplace and made good friends with some. The below are my observations.

1. I have not seen any racism what-so-ever amongst the upper middle class folks, well-educated and working in downtown in this company. And I've not seen any racism in any other categories of people I interact with too.

2. The above point being said, there is also a bias or tendency towards favoring locals for socializing. This is natural because the locals have more common things with other locals to discuss and joke about. Even if language is not a problem, I got 8.5 in IELTS, but still I face difficulty many occasions in following some conversations with locals because I just don't know things such as country music bands etc. I did intentionally familiarize myself with NHL leagues, NFL teams which did help on many occasions, but there's a whole of things that newcomers would not know and so will miss out.

3. Groups - Because of (2), ethnic or native groups do form and networking primarily happens in such groups. But this is also slightly negative because others find it more difficult to break in, if its an ethnic group and not a mixed group.. I got invited to many Indian birthday parties etc where there were ZERO non-Indians. But Canadian parties got mixed groups, both immigrants and locals. Note these immigrants who got invited are not newcomers, but maybe migrated 20 years ago types.

funkypandaz

Mar 15, 2017
lieudefroid said:
I want to continue posting my experiences on this topic.

Social attitudes to a newcomers

I'm forced to engage mostly with non-immigrant Canadians in the workplace and made good friends with some. The below are my observations.

1. I have not seen any racism what-so-ever amongst the upper middle class folks, well-educated and working in downtown in this company. And I've not seen any racism in any other categories of people I interact with too.

2. The above point being said, there is also a bias or tendency towards favoring locals for socializing. This is natural because the locals have more common things with other locals to discuss and joke about. Even if language is not a problem, I got 8.5 in IELTS, but still I face difficulty many occasions in following some conversations with locals because I just don't know things such as country music bands etc. I did intentionally familiarize myself with NHL leagues, NFL teams which did help on many occasions, but there's a whole of things that newcomers would not know and so will miss out.

3. Groups - Because of (2), ethnic or native groups do form and networking primarily happens in such groups. But this is also slightly negative because others find it more difficult to break in, if its an ethnic group and not a mixed group.. I got invited to many Indian birthday parties etc where there were ZERO non-Indians. But Canadian parties got mixed groups, both immigrants and locals. Note these immigrants who got invited are not newcomers, but maybe migrated 20 years ago types.

This is very common among Indians. They all want to go to live in better nations yet shy away from integrating with the locals and constantly look around to meet other Indians only.

I find Indian immigrants to be very poor at adapting to a local culture in that respect.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
funkypandaz said:
This is very common among Indians. They all want to go to live in better nations yet shy away from integrating with the locals and constantly look around to meet other Indians only.

I find Indian immigrants to be very poor at adapting to a local culture in that respect.
As a rule please don't generalize and make statements that cover a wide range of people. you can use adjective like few, some, most etc. But to make a sweeping statements about a all people from a particular country (or any class of people) is generalization, stereotyping and plain wrong.

Thank you, eh!