+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

So I landed today in Rainbow bridge,but process is strange

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
I got my PR through Newfoundland Nominee but I decided to landed in rainbow bridge cuz I have some friends in Toronto so I can visit them for a trip.

So I went to landed today, they were surprised first and then they said they want to see my back ticket to Newfoundland. Then they ask me for a lot of stuff, bank statement, working contract, payrolls, non-criminal record, tax.......which normally will not be checked, luckily I got all the stuff. .....

Then they ask me to wait for another 20 mins.......which usually should not be that long, than they ask me there and say they it is done.

My question is .. will they save my case and track me? I am afraid of this as I can not guarantee if any other provinces in Canada have better opportunities for working and I am not 100% sure I will stay in the Newfoundland forever.

thanks a lot

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
steveca2012 said:
I got my PR through Newfoundland Nominee but I decided to landed in rainbow bridge cuz I have some friends in Toronto so I can visit them for a trip.

So I went to landed today, they were surprised first and then they said they want to see my back ticket to Newfoundland. Then they ask me for a lot of stuff, bank statement, working contract, payrolls, non-criminal record, tax.......which normally will not be checked, luckily I got all the stuff. .....

Then they ask me to wait for another 20 mins.......which usually should not be that long, than they ask me there and say they it is done.

My question is .. will they save my case and track me? I am afraid of this as I can not guarantee if any other provinces in Canada have better opportunities for working and I am not 100% sure I will stay in the Newfoundland forever.

thanks a lot
It is very common of immigration officers to ask for connecting travel arrangements for provincial nominees. This is because the whole idea of nomination is that you intend to live there. I do not think they will track you any further since you have already landed and now a PR.

However, there have been instances where people were denied entry during landing formalities because immigration officers become aware that the nominee had no intentions to go to the nominating province.

mryoso

Mar 28, 2014
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-24-2015 sent to Sydney CIO
Nomination.....
23-02-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent w/ application
Med's Request
December 11, 2015
Med's Done....
December 16, 2015
Passport Req..
April 5, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 22, 2016
LANDED..........
yayyy!
same thing with me im from saskatchewan but decided to land in toronto ontario just last monday. they keep asking why i am in ontario how long i am already in ontario. i just showed them my return ticket and the job letter proving im currently employed in saskatchewan. the difference is they told me since im provincial nominee i need to stay for two years or depends on the province. im confused now people here saying its okay to move to another province i don't know if i need to trust the cbsa officer or the people here.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
steveca2012 said:

thanks a lot
Congrats for finally getting it through. Can i know what docs you carried for non-criminal record? Was it the old PCCs you got for applying at cic?
Any other documents other than you listed? It would be helpful for others to prepare hence asking.

mryoso said:
same thing with me im from saskatchewan but decided to land in toronto ontario just last monday. they keep asking why i am in ontario how long i am already in ontario. i just showed them my return ticket and the job letter proving im currently employed in saskatchewan. the difference is they told me since im provincial nominee i need to stay for two years or depends on the province. im confused now people here saying its okay to move to another province i don't know if i need to trust the cbsa officer or the people here.
As per rules we are supposed to reach the designated province (even cic will reject if we provide some other destination city). Ya they can verify till we become PR as they cant control after that hence they are scrutinizing till that stage. Possibly many candidates are directly moving to other province from landing date hence they are asking.
Congrats to you too as you are PR now. So dont worry about tracking or moving to other province.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
steveca2012 said:
OK thanks, but why they ask me for that many documents, normally a passport and a landing paper should be enough.
Because when a provincial nominee lands in a different province, it raises alarm.
CBSA thinks there might be an intention to not go to nominating province.
You were lucky to have carried return tickets to Newfoundland.

Had you gone there without a return ticket, they could have easily revoked your PR.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
CBSA needs to make sure you are settling in the province of nomination. Since you are landing in Ont while nominated by NL, they want to know you have ties to NL and are not trying to settle in Ontario. That's why they are asking for documents like job contracts, return flight tickets, etc.

Perfectly within your right to land in a different province, perfectly within their power to question you.

And it's within your right to move out of NL since you've landed. They are not going to track you and hunt you down if you leave, they might know it for PNP program evaluation and statistic purposes only.

Jovie

Sep 24, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 21, 2015
Doc's Request.
June 16, 2016
Nomination.....
September 16, 2015
AOR Received.
January 11, 2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016 - OTTAWA
Med's Request
June 30, 2016 (but I did upfront prior - June 21)
Med's Done....
June 21, 2016
Passport Req..
December 15, 2016
LANDED..........
22-12-2012 - INLAND
We applied for provincial nomination, its only the fact that provinces has their numbers of immigrant to bring in, as per population and jobs wise. If a certain province nominated you and gave you a privilege to come here in Canada for the reason that you will become a part of community growth, we should stay for a bit as GRATITUDE to the province that nominated us. Everyone can leave and move to other provinces as you wish but not literally after landing. CBSA knows the rule.

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Congrats for getting PR and successful landing.

I am aspiring to apply for PNP and eventually Express Entry to become PR. So I got a few doubts in mind which the experts can clear.

If I am nominated by a particular province, it means I am expected to live there and work within the province. But how long does this rule remain valid? When I find better opportunities in other provinces, am I allowed to leave and enter the desired province or I must formally intimate the nominated province before leaving? What is the actual practice followed by PNP nominated PR's.

Or obtaining the citizenship would solve this problem of migrating anywhere within the country without worrying about nomination. Please enlighten.

87arq

Sep 13, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
12-09-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
29-04-2016
Passport Req..
20-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2016
LANDED..........
01-11-2016
fatehelps said:

I am aspiring to apply for PNP and eventually Express Entry to become PR. So I got a few doubts in mind which the experts can clear.

If I am nominated by a particular province, it means I am expected to live there and work within the province. But how long does this rule remain valid? When I find better opportunities in other provinces, am I allowed to leave and enter the desired province or I must formally intimate the nominated province before leaving? What is the actual practice followed by PNP nominated PR's.

Or obtaining the citizenship would solve this problem of migrating anywhere within the country without worrying about nomination. Please enlighten.
Probably a couple of years would be fine.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
fatehelps said:

Provincial nominations are based on goodwill. They nominate you in the hope that you will settle in and contribute to the provincial economy.
Once you land and become a PR, you can go anywhere, and no one will question you.

It's not a matter of legality, but that of ethics.
So as long as you have made a sincere effort of finding work and settling in the nominating province, you have fulfilled your moral and ethical obligations. If you manage to find a job, live there, else you go out and seek work elsewhere. How many days you spend in the province is really not important.

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
alok4best said:
Provincial nominations are based on goodwill. They nominate you in the hope that you will settle in and contribute to the provincial economy.
Once you land and become a PR, you can go anywhere, and no one will question you.

It's not a matter of legality, but that of ethics.
So as long as you have made a sincere effort of finding work and settling in the nominating province, you have fulfilled your moral and ethical obligations. If you manage to find a job, live there, else you go out and seek work elsewhere. How many days you spend in the province is really not important.
Thanks for replying alok. I get what you're trying to say.

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
There are so many posts on this forum where people from smaller provinces (Nominees) would go to usually Ontario and it always has been problematic and CBSA officers always has questioned them. Perspective immigrant should always try to land at the province of destination.
CBSA officers will object even to International Students when they first land if they are not at the right province(some of my friends back in the days were questioned).

I have seen people flying out of NS,NB,PEI,NL the moment they were able to(after completing studies) because there were no job opportunities, similar for other small provinces.

Provinces needs to find ways to attract skilled immigrants and make the best use of them or they will not stay there(and its their right to leave and live where they can find opportunities to have good life)

I understand people's intentions are good but in this world actions speaks louder than intentions ;D

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
milo2015 said:
There are so many posts on this forum where people from smaller provinces (Nominees) would go to usually Ontario and it always has been problematic and CBSA officers always has questioned them. Perspective immigrant should always try to land at the province of destination.
CBSA officers will object even to International Students when they first land if they are not at the right province(some of my friends back in the days were questioned).

I have seen people flying out of NS,NB,PEI,NL the moment they were able to(after completing studies) because there were no job opportunities, similar for other small provinces.

Provinces needs to find ways to attract skilled immigrants and make the best use of them or they will not stay there(and its their right to leave and live where they can find opportunities to have good life)

I understand people's intentions are good but in this world actions speaks louder than intentions ;D
This in fact is the problem of PNP IRCC/CIC trying to solve. They can't straight up restrict them, but they can tie them with a job offer (hence employment restriction until granted PR) or prioritize people with previous experience or family ties. Those are people who are more likely to stay in the province than those without.

---

It is well within your right to land in a different province than your nomination province. So don't be discouraged and bring proves where applicable.