+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

skilled worker needs help!

lhj2

Mar 5, 2009
I need some help please! My boyfriend is from Britain and has been working in Vancouver as a skilled worker for over two years (he received one extension on his work visa). About 3 months ago, he was laid off and switched employers. He failed to change his conditions on his visa (he was sponsored by the company that laid him off). He wants to change his conditions (the new employer will sponsor him, no problem) but is afraid immigration will deport him since he started work before changing his visa conditions (has been at the new job for about 3 months). Has anyone had experience with this situation? His initial work visa expires in June and we want another extension. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Yes lots of it,File the extension request and Change of Conditions Now,Just assisted a Mexican last week in the same situation

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lhj2 said:
I need some help please! My boyfriend is from Britain and has been working in Vancouver as a skilled worker for over two years (he received one extension on his work visa). About 3 months ago, he was laid off and switched employers. He failed to change his conditions on his visa (he was sponsored by the company that laid him off). He wants to change his conditions (the new employer will sponsor him, no problem) but is afraid immigration will deport him since he started work before changing his visa conditions (has been at the new job for about 3 months). Has anyone had experience with this situation? His initial work visa expires in June and we want another extension. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Well he has been working without authorization, which can easily get him a 2 year ban from Canada. It is extremely unlikely that he will get a new work permit.

PMM

lhj2

Mar 5, 2009
Is there any way around getting a ban? It was just stupidity, not done on purpose. We would not have been able to pay our rent if he had been out of work for a month and it wasn't until we started to look into extending the visa, did we notice the discrepancy.

Should I explain this situation, or just go ahead and file for a change of conditions/extension?

lhj2

Mar 5, 2009
How much does an average immigration lawyer cost for a case like this? I am a student, therefore, not a lot of funds...