+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Skilled Worker - Immigration under H1B

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
If I get nominated via the PNP program for the province of Alberta under Skilled workers(currently holding H1B Visa and am an IT Professional) would this mean that I have to settle and work only in the province of Alberta.Can I work in any other province ? When would I be able to move out of Alberta and move to a different province ?

abhi_hola

Star Member
Nov 16, 2008
they are allowing you to apply expecting you stay permanently to serve the province for AB; you should have the intent of doing that;
there is no rule to make you stay in AB forever or for 1 day for that matter; however, if they find you do not have the intent, then they have the right to do something to you which you will not like. so...

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for your reply....
So you mean that after I get the PR by the method of PNP in Alberta, I would be free to work/settle elsewhere in Canada as well ?
Appreciate your response

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
you have to land in alberta.

Tarry

Star Member
Sep 22, 2008
If I were you, I would land in Alberta, wait for PR card. When PR card is in hand, you can then have fun around Canada. A suggestion; come to yellow knife. -:)

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
thanks for the reply...
My plan is to get the PR via Alberta, continue to work in USA until I get the PR, after getting the PR land in ALberta, stay for two weeks and come back to US, and look for jobs in Canada (all provinces preferabbly Ontario), as soon as I find one, go to canada.Your suggestions...
Appreciate your response

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gauravs04 said:
thanks for the reply...
My plan is to get the PR via Alberta, continue to work in USA until I get the PR, after getting the PR land in ALberta, stay for two weeks and come back to US, and look for jobs in Canada(all provinces preferabbly Ontario), as soon as I find one, go to canada.Your suggestions...
Appreciate your response
you should read the PNP application where you sign stating that you will live in the province where you receive the nomination.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008_4e.pdf

PMM

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
Thanks..
yes I understand this....but does this mean that one is tied to a province for ever, I do not understand this concept fully.What if after a few years one wants to move out to a different province ?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Policy depends from Province to province,BC doesnt run after you as long as you make an effort to settle,Go to the Yukon or Toronto with our condolences.Just joking because I pity those in Toronto,No jobs,Lousy climate.........

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gauravs04 said:
Thanks..
yes I understand this....but does this mean that one is tied to a province for ever, I do not understand this concept fully.What if after a few years one wants to move out to a different province ?
It doesn't mean you are tied to the province forever but it does mean you have to make an attempt to settle there. Looking for jobs there might be a good idea. As far as we know, they are not going after people who don't stay but who says they wont do it in the future? You want to be first? If you want to settle in Ontario, maybe you should try a different immigration program. You could apply as a skilled worker or go on a temporary work permit to ON and apply for PR later through CEC.

C

cchabert

As soon Alberta figure out that, let said a number, 60 or 80 % of their applicants just land in Alberta and leave the next day, they will change or worst cancel the H1B program. My 2 cents.

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
what does make an effort to settle in the state mean ? Does it mean that I land in AB and look for job for a month or two , if I do not get it them move to a different province, how would the government get to know that I made efforts to settle ? a Little confused.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gauravs04 said:
what does make an effort to settle in the state mean ? Does it mean that I land in AB and look for job for a month or two , if I do not get it them move to a different province, how would the government get to know that I made efforts to settle ? a Little confused.
To stay and look for a job is a fulfilment of the statement you sign when you apply for AB PNP which is that you intend to settle in AB. You should always make good on your word, even if nobody is watching you.

Besides, if they decided to go after people and they picked you, then it could be up to you to prove that you did stay for a while and look for a job. If they find out that you only landed in AB, stayed for a couple of weeks with no proof of job search, then went back to the US and re-surfaced at some point in ON, then you obviously lied on your immigration application when you signed that statement saying you were planning to settle in AB and when you lie to immigration it can mean the removal of your PR status.

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
hey...thanks for your reply...i think I now have a good understanding......
please share any or ur experiences if you have....

abhi_hola

Star Member
Nov 16, 2008
gaurav, it shows most probably you do not have any intent in staying in Alberta! you are committing a fraud by taking the AINP route, if you take so;
this is not good, morally! Legally you may frame your case as you wish!
i hate this! i know a lot many ppl do!