+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single vs Common Law

Sarah8373

Dec 3, 2009
I am confused with the definition of common law, and I wish someone could help me with it.

Me and my bf started dating in May 2008, and one months later, he changed his address to my address, and we opened an joint account, only because we always eat together, and don't want to share our bills everytime. At that time, we are not really living together.

I applied PNP in October 2008, and declared my status as single.
I received my PNP certificate in January 2009 and mail out my federal application in March, 2009, and still declared myself as single.

In June 2009, we moved to an apartment, and co-signed a lease, and officially started living together.

In August 2009, my bf submitted his PNP and declared himself still as single.

I am wondering who determins us to be common law partners, what if we don't want to be common law partners, can we just be bf and gf who are living together with a joint bank account? or as long as we do so, we are binded and automatically entered a common law relationship no matter we want it or not. If that is the case, when would be the start date of our common law relationship, by the day that he started using my address as his, the day that we opened an joint account, or the day we actually started living together... if go by the day we moved together, it's only been 6 months, lesss than a year, so technically now we are still not common law partners and still single...

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess you guys are the only ones who can decide what your relationship is.

kali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2009
Nobody determines you as common law partner except yourself.

In my opinions, there is nothing to do with your PR application in context of your relation in present scenario. Let your PR application go on..... & You guys enjoy !!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For immigration, you are supposed to let them know when your family status changes so once you have lived together for 12 months, you probably should tell them you are now considered in a common law relationship. Not that it really matters because you have both applied on your own already.