+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singaporean to move to Canada

faithtree

Mar 26, 2013
Hi,

I am a Singaporean and intend to relocate to Canada. I am a medical technologist by profession. How can I find arranged employment in Canada? I have sent out tons of resumes but none reply as this position requires a license to practice. I read about skilled workers visa and it states that employed is required. But the processing time is so long (up to 1-2 years) even with arranged employment. I cannot understand why would any employer be willing to wait that long to get an employee over.

I do not mind to work as other occupation as long as I can get into Canada asap and settle down. Hope someone can guide me along. Can I go for interviews under visa waiver program? It's kind of tough not being around physically when employers wish to interview me. So is it safe for me to stay in Canada under the visa waiver program while looking for a job there? Should I get a job, how long will the processing of work visa take?

ramanbeedh

Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-02-2011
AOR Received.
04-03-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with app
File Transfer...
27-04-2011
Med's Request
28-09-2011
Med's Done....
8-11-2011
I think you should come to Canada as a visitor first and find a work here

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
faithtree said:
Hi,

I am a Singaporean and intend to relocate to Canada. I am a medical technologist by profession. How can I find arranged employment in Canada? I have sent out tons of resumes but none reply as this position requires a license to practice. I read about skilled workers visa and it states that employed is required. But the processing time is so long (up to 1-2 years) even with arranged employment. I cannot understand why would any employer be willing to wait that long to get an employee over.

I do not mind to work as other occupation as long as I can get into Canada asap and settle down. Hope someone can guide me along. Can I go for interviews under visa waiver program? It's kind of tough not being around physically when employers wish to interview me. So is it safe for me to stay in Canada under the visa waiver program while looking for a job there? Should I get a job, how long will the processing of work visa take?
Its next to impossible for outsiders to get arranged employment in Canada, if you want arranged employment you should go to Dubai instead. Its hard enough for Canadians with Canadian degrees and work experience to get a job here let alone sponsoring someone form outside. Also Canadians are very conservative when it comes to hiring in other words, they do not want to spend money on training and they expect you to do everything with minimal supervision. You are also expected to get along with everyone in your work place, in other words if you are not "their type" then forget about it, you could have all the talent in the world and all of Gods blessings you still wont cut it. You have to laugh at their jokes, be sensitive to their issues and always keep your personal opinions to yourself, keep your mind closed and do exactly what you are told. You have to understand the complexity of Canadian work culture before you look for a job otherwise you will keep looking all your life.

There are plenty of jobs as cleaners, security guard and fast food outlets (stuff that most educated wont do, but bills come knocking at your door pretty fast) but you also have to keep in mind there is stiff competition from Canadian citizens and landed immigrants. If you want a survival job, minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25/hour, good luck

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
faithtree said:
No local license or experience? No visa?? Don't bother sending resumes, it's a waste of your time.

Employers are only looking locally. They will not even consider someone in another Canadian province. The opportunities of outsiders are only for very very specialized people whose skills are not found in Canada.

anakinhay

Feb 14, 2012
If you do not have the Canadian qualifications, do not bother sending.
Also if you are not a PR or having arranged employment, dun waste your time.

But not all hopes are gone... I came here this year and managed to find a job within 3 weeks - which is great..

You have a technical qualification.. You need to have a canadian qualification before they will hire u..

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
newtone said:
Its next to impossible for outsiders to get arranged employment in Canada, if you want arranged employment you should go to Dubai instead. Its hard enough for Canadians with Canadian degrees and work experience to get a job here let alone sponsoring someone form outside. Also Canadians are very conservative when it comes to hiring in other words, they do not want to spend money on training and they expect you to do everything with minimal supervision. You are also expected to get along with everyone in your work place, in other words if you are not "their type" then forget about it, you could have all the talent in the world and all of Gods blessings you still wont cut it. You have to laugh at their jokes, be sensitive to their issues and always keep your personal opinions to yourself, keep your mind closed and do exactly what you are told. You have to understand the complexity of Canadian work culture before you look for a job otherwise you will keep looking all your life.

There are plenty of jobs as cleaners, security guard and fast food outlets (stuff that most educated wont do, but bills come knocking at your door pretty fast) but you also have to keep in mind there is stiff competition from Canadian citizens and landed immigrants. If you want a survival job, minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25/hour, good luck
Very true. Very conservative. Always leery of outsiders, more so if they are extremely talented or better qualified than most Canucks. Often mediocrity rules in Canadian workplaces. Always try to go with the flow, never rock the boat. If you are from the US, never compare anything Canadian to anything American unless it's better here, which is very rare. The majority of Canadians I have seen have a perennial inferiority complex towards Americans and at the same time have an unhealthy obsession with anything American, like a horny teenage girl or gay man obsessed with an alpha male.

Canadians don't want to invest any money in training people and so hire only people who will exactly do the job without any training. Thus, most of the good jobs are filled by interns or internal candidates and/or often by a word of mouth referral.

Speaking of survival jobs, many immigrants won't even get these, unless they are the worst of survival jobs, like cleaning bathrooms or a job in a chicken factory. Most shocking of all is Canadians' general attitude towards these poor immigrants looking for this kind of survival jobs: Contempt. Of course, rich immigrants are always welcome in any country these days.

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
shakira2009 said:
No local license or experience? No visa?? Don't bother sending resumes, it's a waste of your time.

Employers are only looking locally. They will not even consider someone in another Canadian province. The opportunities of outsiders are only for very very specialized people whose skills are not found in Canada.
Yeah, true. Canada is very provincial. If you are from another province, you are considered as an outsider. It doesn't matter whether you're a Canadian citizen/PR or an immigrant.

Joshua Rallen

Apr 26, 2013
Hi!,

I am Singaporean and am currently in Calgary Canada visiting a friend.

Is it possible to apply for a work permit in Calgary? I am here on a visitor pass and really enjoy the place, I understand that I would need a LMO (which the company must provide) and a job offer to apply for a work permit. So all I need to do is to drive to the US border make a U turn and apply for my work permit at the border?

So sorry to hijack the thread like this I was just wondering if this could be done?

Cheers,

Joshua Rallen Lim

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Joshua Rallen said:
Hi!,

I am Singaporean and am currently in Calgary Canada visiting a friend.

Is it possible to apply for a work permit in Calgary? I am here on a visitor pass and really enjoy the place, I understand that I would need a LMO (which the company must provide) and a job offer to apply for a work permit. So all I need to do is to drive to the US border make a U turn and apply for my work permit at the border?

So sorry to hijack the thread like this I was just wondering if this could be done?

Cheers,

Joshua Rallen Lim
Yes, Mr. Lim. All you need is a job and sponsor. The easiest part is to "drive to the US border make a U turn and apply for [your] work permit at the border."