+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singaporean applicants under FSW

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Also wanted to tell you that Singapore Airlines doesn't exactly provide you with more "comfort" nowadays. Most airlines have personal TV screens on their long-haul flights nowadays.

I don't find the service from SIA girls any better than any other airlines either. Maybe the food is better for Asian tastes, but I always get the vegetarian meal anyway so I can't really tell. SIA had a hiring freeze and pay cuts that stopped earlier this year and a lot of the girls are overworked and underpaid. A lot of the ang mors are a lot more genuinely friendlier and helpful. You don't even get an amenity kit anymore, just a toothbrush and some socks.

If you are sitting in Economy there really is no difference in "comfort". you get the same crappy tiny seats with no footrest - regardless of which airline you are flying.

tran

May 10, 2009
mediajunkie said:
I'm still doing temp work, my most recent one is at a bank though and it is a fairly long-term contract. It is really useful because it really chalks up towards gaining Canadian work experience. And since I'm working night shift I don't have to deal with a lot of people.

the employment agency I got my temp job from is also pretty helpful. They advised me to get my CISSP certification so that I can work in Network Security because it is one area in IT which is in big demand right now. Even my friend at IBM tells me that it's an area that's booming right now. i'm currently studying for it and will probably take it in August.

Also finally finished writing my movie script and working with a think tank on creative ideas and suggestions. Hopefully i'll be able to send it in to an agent soon.
A PhD with many talents indeed; it's difficult for you to fail in Canada. By the way, what is the the prerequisites for the CISSP certification?
Besides treasury(dealing room), IT and security jobs, what other jobs are available in a bank for the night shift?

Munnimehek

May 4, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-08-2009
Doc's Request.
26-10-2009
AOR Received.
26-10-2009, 2nd AOR : 17-02- 2010
File Transfer...
07-02-2010, In Process- :01-02-2011, after 1 yr. Update doc sent: 23-01-2012. Real IP: 13-04-2012
Med's Request
18-06-2012
Med's Done....
28-06-2012 Med's send: 01-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-11-2012
BDSkilled said:
How long after Medical you got PP request
Hello BDSkilled,

What id the status for your case now?

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
tran said:
A PhD with many talents indeed; it's difficult for you to fail in Canada. By the way, what is the the prerequisites for the CISSP certification?
Besides treasury(dealing room), IT and security jobs, what other jobs are available in a bank for the night shift?
I'm not really sure about night jobs, Canadians are quite opposed to working past 5pm in any white collar jobs. I'm just doing data entry right now and I'm quite happy not having to deal with traffic or rush hour.

The prerequisites for the CISSP is a bachelors degree and/or 3-5 years experience in the network security field. But I'm sure that if you can find your employer to corroborate with you, you can use any kind of IT experience and pass it off as network security experience. You can find more information here. https://www.isc2.org/cissp/default.aspx The exam is a 6-hour exam, 250 multiple choice questions with no break. The study material is easy, but the test itself isn't easy because all the answer options are extremely close and you need 70% to pass the exam. And it's only held 3-4 times a year.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
media

Still SQ is way better. I think bulk of the BD ppl leave bd using Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways, Kuwait Airways, Cathay Pacific . Most of them are pretty good. i never heard about ppl using Chinese Airlines before but now some guys here are appreciating them. I'll surely try one of them next time.

How many of you are CCNA? CISSP is an advance certification.
Seems like some of you are night owls too.

0213 guys, please share your professional experiences and let us know your Vendor certifications' names.
Also the prospects of them in Canada.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Last year I took SIA, Korean Air and Qatar Airways. The year before I took Emirates and Cathay and Air Canada Business First (their combo of business and first class). When it comes to economy class, there's no difference in terms of comfort. The seats are narrow and cramped - and I'm a short person, I don't even need that much leg room and I feel cramped. 3 times I've flown SIA in the last 3 years and all 3 times I've gotten the middle seat with the basinets, with 2 crying babies on each side. My friend who is an SIA girl told me that they tend to dump people traveling alone especially with discount tickets in the middle seats rather than give them an aisle or window seat - which could probably explain why I have never been able to choose seats online whenever I travel alone but when I was traveling with my sister we were able to pick our seats online.

I dislike flying through the middle east because I like wearing shorts and tank tops to stay as comfortable as possible on the plane since it's a long journey, and it is extremely frowned upon by the locals to show that much skin, even when I'm just transiting at the airport. When I flew on Emirates the Saudi guy next to me asked the flight attendant to reseat me because he felt I was indecently dressed. When the attendant asked him to move, he refused, saying that he is not moving for a woman. A lot of the western movies shown are heavily censored especially sex scenes, which defeats the purpose of having a personal entertainment system. And my main gripe is that almost all the middle eastern airlines do not serve alcohol, I just don't feel that I'm getting my money's worth without downing a few drinks while on the plane.

I already have my CCNA, the exam is short, held often in convenient areas and cheap. I didn't apply under 0213, though. Canada does need IT workers in every province, but unless you specialize, you may find yourself manning a CSR (Customer Service Representative) call center help line even if you have a bachelors degree - that is the sub-area that seems that they need the most help. You can expect to get 1.5 times as much pay if you are bilingual - in Canada bilingual means English/French. If you are in the Toronto or Vancouver metro areas, there might be a demand for English/Chinese CSRs, but from what I can see it seems that there is more demand for English/Punjabi or English/urdu or English/Portuguese more because there are already a lot of Chinese in the area.

As with all areas of employment, don't expect to jump into a managerial role immediately. If you are a fresh immigrant, you might have to take what is known as a survival job just to get some Canadian experience - and more importantly Canadian employer references. Some companies do not recognize foreign work experience, some companies are unable to contact foreign references. Like right now, I'm a Ph.D. but I'm doing a temp job doing data entry. I tried giving them my references from Singapore and the USA and my employer said their phones cannot even call overseas and asked for an e-mail reference. I'm going to stick with this for a year or so until I build up 2 more Canadian references while I study for my CISSP and CCSP exams and then I'll venture back into the IT industry. Alternatively you can take a course at a local university and get Canadian educational credentials, which would also help in finding a job.

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
are you working graveyard shift?
if you are, make sure you have enough quality sleep in the day because WHO has classified graveyard shift work as a probable carcinogen (can cause cancer).

mediajunkie said:
I'm not really sure about night jobs, Canadians are quite opposed to working past 5pm in any white collar jobs. I'm just doing data entry right now and I'm quite happy not having to deal with traffic or rush hour.

The prerequisites for the CISSP is a bachelors degree and/or 3-5 years experience in the network security field. But I'm sure that if you can find your employer to corroborate with you, you can use any kind of IT experience and pass it off as network security experience. You can find more information here. https://www.isc2.org/cissp/default.aspx The exam is a 6-hour exam, 250 multiple choice questions with no break. The study material is easy, but the test itself isn't easy because all the answer options are extremely close and you need 70% to pass the exam. And it's only held 3-4 times a year.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
maoist said:
are you working graveyard shift?
if you are, make sure you have enough quality sleep in the day because WHO has classified graveyard shift work as a probable carcinogen (can cause cancer).
Thank you for the concern. I'm a "night person" and I like staying awake all night sleeping throughout the day. If you saw me IRL I'm as pale as you can imagine because I avoid the sun. If there were such a thing I'd probably be a vampire. ;D

tran

May 10, 2009
I just received a call from the International Organization for Migration (IOM), HCMC,
to collect our passports. Total 9 working days from the date of submission to the
date of collection.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Congrads Tran! Finally u r a man heading for Canada!

Have u booked yr tickets and when u landing in Calgary?

Munnimehek

May 4, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-08-2009
Doc's Request.
26-10-2009
AOR Received.
26-10-2009, 2nd AOR : 17-02- 2010
File Transfer...
07-02-2010, In Process- :01-02-2011, after 1 yr. Update doc sent: 23-01-2012. Real IP: 13-04-2012
Med's Request
18-06-2012
Med's Done....
28-06-2012 Med's send: 01-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-11-2012
Congrats... Gre8 news.......

mathu

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
LIONCITY
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE-2007
hi

Tran! Finally u got it ....great news...best wishes for your future life in canada

buhari

tran

May 10, 2009
abelkwh said:
Congrads Tran! Finally u r a man heading for Canada!

Have u booked yr tickets and when u landing in Calgary?
We plan to land in late August; first stopover in Vancouver to meet
some friends, then proceed to Calgary.

It looks like August/September is peak season for air travels. Most flights
are fully booked; especially the inexpensive ones. I only managed to
book Cathay Pacific; not much time left before my PR visa(medicals)
expired in early October.