+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Signature issue

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
We are living in US and my kid needs to renewal her passport. I learned that we can mail to Passport Canada or submit in person in Canada.

We decided to apply in person as I was happen to be in Canada. We were told applying in person will greatly speed up the processing time and generally 10 working days vs 20. However, as our kid is not in Canada, we cannot use express service and cannot pick it up. The new passport will be mailed to our US address.

So my wife prepared and signed all the document and back of photo (she's guarantor and I am applicant) and sent to me with kid's passport and birth certificate. I added my signature.

But the passport office thought the photo is not good enough. To catch time, I had my wife to take picture for my kid and I do it with an app to satisfy all passport photo requirement. I signed for my wife (very wrong) and when I went to submit the application, the supervisor (mainly because the officer I met all believe that if the kid is not in Canada I cannot submit in person, and I say no, so they come to the supervisor) still remembered my case and asked if I signed the photo. I answered yes, and tried to explain the situation and suggest if I can give both photo (the one they believe not good but with my wife's real signature) together to show the real likeness is the same but with better quality. The supervisor refused and asked me to write down a statement about the situation. He kept the photo I wrongly signed and told me that a note will be attached on the case. I asked him if I can still apply for my kid normally he said yes but can only follow proper way that means my wife has to sign by herself.

I have no idea what will happen if I submit again after my wife mail me another photo with her signature. My wife and kid will take part in a marriage ceremony in Mexico 28, Sept. I am afraid if Passport Canada will do anything so we cannot normally receive new passport in 3 weeks. My kid's passport still valid to next May though so she can still use the old passport to Mexico. Any suggestions?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Your case is overflowing with shortcuts and cutting corners. Just follow the right process as per the rules and you should be good.
Thx amitdi. Is there any difference if I go to another passport office? The one close to me is very rude, they wanted to kick me out when I was asking their questions. They threaten to have security for me. So I had to leave.

By the way, they held my signed photo of my daughter and a statement. They also scanned my application form and driver license. But they returned all ID and application back to me. I didn't pay too. How those will affect my kid's application and If I choose another passport office? Thx again

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Thx amitdi. Is there any difference if I go to another passport office? The one close to me is very rude, they wanted to kick me out when I was asking their questions. They threaten to have security for me. So I had to leave.

By the way, they held my signed photo of my daughter and a statement. They also scanned my application form and driver license. But they returned all ID and application back to me. I didn't pay too. How those will affect my kid's application and If I choose another passport office? Thx again
Unfortunately what you attempted to do can be misconstrued as an attempt to misrepresent or commit fraud . It would be therefore prudent to PLEASE just follow the formal process unless you want to fall on the wrong side of the law over something as simple as a passport renewal.....

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why would you even attempt to circumvent the policy set out in renewing a passport? As mentioned above your actions could be construed as an attempt at fraud . You’re not applying for a library card here , it’s a countries form of identification. Playing with fire here