Aug 19, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
18-02-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
taleodor said:
It seems that several Conservative MPs are starting to realize that the provision to strip pre-PR time for ex-foreign workers/international students might not be the best idea.

The only clear argument they can invoke is the backlog. While they have really hard time trying to explain, how the backlog would be solved by this.

So contacting your MP about this bill seems like a good idea.

Also, if you have a twitter account: the English hash tag is #CitAct; the French hash tag is #LoiCit

And don't forget to sign/share the petition:

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/house-of-commons-in-parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Gotta love the conservatives, they just have no idea what they're talking about.

This reminds me of Romney and Ryan's "Spending plan" to reduce the US deficit when they actually have none.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Supporters,

Thank you so much for your support and valuable comments you have left on the petition page!
As we are reaching over 5000! signatures and have already achieved some major milestones, I wanted to give an update to all of you who make our fight a success!

1. We have fully formed our message and legal version of the petition to Parliament of Canada and made it public on our petition page (see the bottom section addressing to the Parliament). We have brought in some good factual evidence, research and government data release to support all of the above. If you wish to receive a PDF copy, please feel free to contact: FightTheBillC24@outlook.com

2. We have launched our "MP campaign" and engaging with over 35 members of parliaments from Conservative, NDP and Liberal parties in GTA, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa and Montreal areas. We are presenting them with our message, evidence and research, legal and online petitions. We need more volunteers to carry our message to local MPs, especially in areas such as Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg. You don't have to be affected by the new law in order to support us and carry our message. You can be a Canadian born, or naturalized citizen, permanent residence or a temporary one studying or working in Canada. Please step forward and we will provide you with all the needed documents for meeting with you MP. Please email at: FightTheBillC24@outlook.com to volunteer.

3. We have received a major news coverage in Toronto Star and it can be found in both printed and on-line editions: http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/03/03/canadian_newcomers_dread_changes_to_citizenship_rules.html#.

4. We keep working on attaining new signatures - recently we have merged with students petition on Change.Org which pursue the same target as we are. The more signatures we have the higher the pressure will be on the Government to change their position.

5. I want to ask everyone personally to step in and help promote this petition in person, by emails, by Facebook and Twitter and/or other social media means. If every one of you will secure just ONE additional signature we will reach over 10000! You can also help promoting it on the Change.Org by paying on the petition page (Promote This Petition button on the right side of petition page, after you logged in).

I am full of hope that on next update we can declare a VICTORY!

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
Dear Supporters,

Thank you so much for your support and valuable comments you have left on the petition page!
As we are reaching over 5000! signatures and have already achieved some major milestones, I wanted to give an update to all of you who make our fight a success!

1. We have fully formed our message and legal version of the petition to Parliament of Canada and made it public on our petition page (see the bottom section addressing to the Parliament). We have brought in some good factual evidence, research and government data release to support all of the above. If you wish to receive a PDF copy, please feel free to contact: FightTheBillC24 @ outlook.com

2. We have launched our "MP campaign" and engaging with over 35 members of parliaments from Conservative, NDP and Liberal parties in GTA, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa and Montreal areas. We are presenting them with our message, evidence and research, legal and online petitions. We need more volunteers to carry our message to local MPs, especially in areas such as Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg. You don't have to be affected by the new law in order to support us and carry our message. You can be a Canadian born, or naturalized citizen, permanent residence or a temporary one studying or working in Canada. Please step forward and we will provide you with all the needed documents for meeting with you MP. Please email at: FightTheBillC24 @ outlook.com to volunteer.

3. We have received a major news coverage in Toronto Star and it can be found in both printed and on-line editions: http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/03/03/canadian_newcomers_dread_changes_to_citizenship_rules.html#.

4. We keep working on attaining new signatures - recently we have merged with students petition on Change.Org which pursue the same target as we are. The more signatures we have the higher the pressure will be on the Government to change their position.

5. I want to ask everyone personally to step in and help promote this petition in person, by emails, by Facebook and Twitter and/or other social media means. If every one of you will secure just ONE additional signature we will reach over 10000! You can also help promoting it on the Change.Org by paying on the petition page (Promote This Petition button on the right side of petition page, after you logged in).

I am full of hope that on next update we can declare a VICTORY!
As MP's are heading back to their constituency offices, we have 2 more weeks now to gather more signatures before 2nd reading. Help us to oppose the unfair legislation: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
As MP's are heading back to their constituency offices, we have 2 more weeks now to gather more signatures before 2nd reading. Help us to oppose the unfair legislation: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

Our petition was presented today in the House of Commons by Ms. Lysane Blanchette-Lamothe (Pierrefonds—Dollard, NDP):
Link: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=hansard&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

"Mr. Speaker, I present a petition with respect to Bill C-24 and the fact that it does unfairly treat current Canadian permanent residents who came to Canada as temporary foreign workers or international students.
The petitioners call upon the House of Commons to consider amending the Canadian Citizenship Act to recognize non-permanent residency time to be counted toward the citizenship residency requirement."

ferna

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2013
AOR Received.
24-06-2013
Med's Request
24-01-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014
Passport Req..
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014 (before I got the PPR!!)
LANDED..........
01-03-2014
Awesome! Thanks Sashali :)

Sandia

Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2013
AOR Received.
06-01-2014
Signed! Hope it helps.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
Signed.

As someone who has lived in Canada since 2008, I'd say I'm pretty well integrated and have shown a committment to living here. The idea of waiting ANOTHER 2 years once new rules take effect is just ridiculous. If the concern is citizenship fraud, wouldn't it make sense to put MORE weight on people who have been legitimate residents of Canada for longer?

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
Signed.

Have "only" lived (and worked full time in the same job and paid taxes) here since 2010, but fully agree with Matt the Aussie.

For people who are already integrated and contributing, they should make things easier, not more difficult. Or at least leave things as they are and not change them retroactively.

I am all for protecting Canada against citizenship fraud, but I doubt that the CEC crowd (and specifically the long term residents amongst us) are the right target group.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
EU_2010 said:
Signed.

Have "only" lived (and worked full time in the same job and paid taxes) here since 2010, but fully agree with Matt the Aussie.

For people who are already integrated and contributing, they should make things easier, not more difficult. Or at least leave things as they are and not change them retroactively.

I am all for protecting Canada against citizenship fraud, but I doubt that the CEC crowd (and specifically the long term residents amongst us) are the right target group.
Yup, i've been here since 2005... Went through school, worked, and planning to go back to school.

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot guys for the support and signatures. Yesterday, our petition was presented (again) in House of Commons,this time by Mr. Ted Hsu on behalf of his constituents.
By signing the petition (link on my signature below) and meeting with MPs we can drive a real change. I once again want to ask everyone who is willing to volunteer and help us achieve our goals to contact me at: fightthebillc24@outlook.com

Mike1981

Star Member
Jan 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013