+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we split the file?

Nightrider

Feb 9, 2014
Hello dear fellow members,

we applied in Jan 2014 and during the test in Sep 2014 my wife didn't meet the language requirements and officer said my wife has to see judge to re-asses her language skills.
He said it may take 3 moths to hear from cic but till now no news and i think that it may take years to hear from cic. Judge also said all is ok, but family application will be on hold until my wife's assessment is done.

can i send request to cic to split my and kids application from my wife's application?
or should we withdraw and apply again?

Thanks

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nightrider said:
Hello dear fellow members,

we applied in Jan 2014 and during the test in Sep 2014 my wife didn't meet the language requirements and officer said my wife has to see judge to re-asses her language skills.
He said it may take 3 moths to hear from cic but till now no news and i think that it may take years to hear from cic. Judge also said all is ok, but family application will be on hold until my wife's assessment is done.

can i send request to cic to split my and kids application from my wife's application?
or should we withdraw and apply again?

Thanks
I don’t think you can split the file. May be someone senior on the forum can confirm.

You can withdraw and reapply.

Nightrider

Feb 9, 2014
According to the Operational Bulletin 529-A – September 05, 2013 the file splitting should have been done automatically.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob529A.asp

Please suggest, should we wait for 1 to 2 years or send the letter to CIC to split the files.

According to ATIP file is on hearing shelf and checks will expire in 5 months.

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nightrider said:
According to the Operational Bulletin 529-A – September 05, 2013 the file splitting should have been done automatically.

Please suggest, should we wait for 1 to 2 years or send the letter to CIC to split the files.

Hey that article is no longer valid. It clearly states on the site.

You could split the file. Get your citizenship and withdraw/reapply for your wife.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/multiple.asp

Read this for multiple applications procedure.

And talk to someone like a immigration lawyer. You can also search this forum for keywords like "File Splitting" or something ... You want to talk to someone who knows about this.

I am just making an educated guess here.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Nightrider said:

Please read below and you will see your options
In all cases, I suggest you send a letter to CIC asking them to split the file

With that said, I see some people recommending that you withdraw the current applicaton in order to file a new one. I don't think you have to do that. I believe you can file another application and have both processed: however, you HAVE TO indicate in a letter to CIC that you want them to split the concurrently process both application

I came accross this critcial policy from CIC website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/multiple.asp

"Overview
▼ Background
Applicants for citizenship services must submit an appropriate application form with the prescribed fees, evidence and materials in order to be granted citizenship, to obtain proof of citizenship or to retain, renounce or resume citizenship. In some cases, persons may apply for a citizenship service when they already have an earlier application being processed by CIC or which is in litigation. Multiple applications filed by the same client often cause difficulties in processing, resulting in confusion for the client and the local office, and increased status inquiries to the Call Centre.

When an applicant submits more than one application before an earlier application is finally and formally dispensed with, CIC must determine whether the later application should be processed at the same time as the earlier application is being finalized.

▼ Policy
CIC has an obligation to avoid duplication of work or unnecessary costs in the processing of an application. Unless a client specifically requests CIC to process two or more applications at the same time, all applications will be held by CIC until processing on the initial application is completed. Applicants are encouraged to submit new applications only if they have new facts or evidence."

Nightrider

Feb 9, 2014
Thank you all for your guidance.

After reading replies, i am planning to:

re-apply for my wife, and withdraw her previous application which will cause splitting of our files and rest of family will proceed to further processing.
OR
re-apply for my wife, and send a letter to CIC to split the files and rest of family will proceed to further processing and there will be two application under process for my wife.