+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SHOULD MY FAMILY AND I WAIT TILL WE ACCUMULATE 730 DAYS TO RENEW OUR PRC'S

MIRACLES

Jan 25, 2014
Hi Experts,

Please we require professional advise, guidance and counseling on how my family and I should handle our PRC's renewals.

1) I landed in February 2010 with my family (wife and child) and we are currently in Canada and we don't plan to travel out of Canada for now.

2) We have a child born in Canada and is Canadian Citizen

3) I have stayed in Canada for approximately 150 days

4) My Family (wife and child) have stayed in Canada for approximately 540 days

5) Our PRC's expires February 28, 2015

We have the following enquiries regarding our status in Canada;
1) When should I renew my PRC?

2) When should my family (wife and child) renew their PRC's?

3) Will I be able to work in Canada after my PRC expires?

4) Will my potential employers in Canada question my eligibility to work and stay in Canada after my PRC expires?
from March 2015?

5) Will my family and I still be entitled for benefits as a Permanent Resident of Canada after our PRC's expires? (Example Health Care, Education, Medical, Financial, Housing, Insurance, etc)

6) What will I use as a valid identity after my PRC expires as I have not yet obtained Canada Driving License?

7) Will it be possible for my family and I to travel out of Canada and allowed re-entry to Canada after our PRC's expires?

8) If there is an urgent and emergency need for my family and I to travel out of Canada after our PRC's expires, how do we handle it to be allowed re-entry to Canada?

Thanks

Miracles
January 17, 2015

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) You need to wait until you have 730 days in Canada in the last 5 years before you apply to renew your PR card.
2) Same as above. They need to wait until they have 730 days.
3) Yes - you will be able to work.
4) No - your employer won't ask any questions.
5) Yes - you will be entitled to benefits.
6) Not sure - probably a good idea to get your driver's license before your PR card expires.
7) You may have issues re-entering Canada and it's possible you could end up losing your PR status. If keeping your PR status is important to your family, you need to remain in Canada until you meet the residency requirement without leaving.

There is no process for dealing with emergencies outside of Canada. As stated in #7 above, if you leave, you may have issues retaining your PR status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
To add to some of scylla's answers:

5. Though you qualify, you may have issues. For example, BC doesn't give actual driver's licences without a valid PR card.

7. Leaving Canada without meeting the RO would be a very stupid thing to do. You wouldn't be able to apply for a PR Travel Document, as they would see that you don't meet the RO, refuse the app and you would most likely end up with your PR status revoked. You could try flying to the US and crossing the land border in a private vehicle but if the CBSA officer decides to investigate, they could report you and you would end up losing your PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
to add further

4) Some employers may ask to see your PR card before they hire you but if you already have a decent job before your PR card expires, you shouldn't have a problem.

Same with health care, drivers license etc. Have all of this arranged before your PR card expires and stay in that same province until you can renew it.

If you do not want or can't get a drivers license for some reason, some provinces offer ID cards and your passport is also a valid ID.

MIRACLES

Jan 25, 2014
Hi Leon,

Thanks.

We landed in Alberta and we are now moving to New Brunswick, do you know the laws and rules that applies to New Brunswick? How should we handle all these in New Brunswick?

Thanks,

Miracles

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MIRACLES said:
Hi Leon,

Thanks.

We landed in Alberta and we are now moving to New Brunswick, do you know the laws and rules that applies to New Brunswick? How should we handle all these in New Brunswick?

Thanks,

Miracles
As long as your PR cards are still valid, you shouldn't have a problem applying for health care, drivers license etc. in New Brunswick.

MIRACLES

Jan 25, 2014
Hi Leon,

Thanks.

Does New Brunswick offer ID cards?

Will New Brunswick accept our passports as valid ID?

Thanks,

Miracles

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Google is your friend. Type New Brunswick DL and New Brunswick health care card and it should direct you to the relevant Ministries websites...these should detail the acceptable forms of ID.

2. In regards to the 'emergency' travel as has been advised it can lead you to being reported and having to justify your RO breach to the courts...being absent as you have been (on the presumption its for lifestyle reasons with no H&C grounds) and using up any buffer of allowable absence days is often the first thing the CIC lawyer at the hearing will point out highlighting a roulette playing approach to the RO.

3. The RO is weak at 40% - 2/5 years...at 150 days (remember any days in the 5 years prior to Feb 2015 back to your landing date start falling off your RO account) you are no where near even this weak requirement.