+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should i transfer to a 2 year program from my current program?

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012
As the question states, right now i am in a 3 year "Computer Engineering program" in Seneca.

but i wish to transfer to a 2 year "Electronics Engineering Technician - Computers" (Seneca)
OR
2 year "Electronics Engineering Technician - Communications"

does it make any difference in the work permit that i get when i apply for it?

And also, supposing as soon as i get my 3 year work permit, i move to saskatchewan and meet the requirement to apply for PR by doing 1 year of job in any field, how soon can i get my PR? (assuming all goes well.i know i've put a lot of hypothetical assumptions but just for the sakes of clearing my concern :-\)

Note:transferring wouldn't be a problem since the first year is common but the condition is that i have to do it before the start of sem 3.

EDIT: my priority is to get into a university and PR ofcourse.

amankaur

Star Member
Sep 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
20-11-2012
Re: How much work permit can i get?

Aarav said:
As the question states, right now i am in a 3 year "Computer Engineering program" in Seneca.

but i wish to transfer to a 2 year "Electronics Engineering Technician - Computers" (Seneca)
OR

Note:transferring wouldn't be a problem since the first year is common.
u ll get work permit of three year after did 2 years course..

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012

hey aman, thanks for the response.

so what do you suggest? should i change my program to two year or keep the one i am in?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012

depends on what are your priorities...i mean do you have the money to do the three year program...do you want to do the three year program...do you want to study university later...do you only want work permit for three years....do you want a co-op or not (3 year program has one but two years one no longer has one)...

you will be getting a three year work permit from this two year program....

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012

i dont wish to do the three year program since it would cost me a magnanimous fortune and ultimately i want to get into a university and therefore i was pondering over whether to change the program or not since anyhow i want to maintain my three year work permit prospect.

Co-op is not really my priority.my priority is to get into a university. if i change it to a two year program all i'll lose is the Co-op advantage, i believe and Co-op if not in the program its okay since i wish to finish the program as soon as possible and move to Saskatchewan as the current bandwagon is.and when i have enough money, i want to get into a university.
on a sidenote, i think if i change my program to a two year course and after finishing it as early as possible, i apply for work permit and then move to saskatchewan and invest my 1 year due work in any field i can get the job in and then apply for PR; later hopefully if i get the PR i can study in a uni with the domestic fees than the huge amounts of bucks we , intertnational students, pay.

so what do you guys have to say? i been pulling my hairs out deliberating over this dilemma.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012

if you do the two year computers program you can get a job in field..all the graduates I know from Seneca are working as long as they had co-op..what you can do is transfer to three years...do the co-op...transfer back to two years..that's what most of the people did......

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012

dbss, i'm already studying in a 3 year computer program( semester 1) and i wish to change it to a 2 year program (the ones i have mentioned in the topic outline) as the work permit is same anyway.the only difference is that the 2 year program doesnt have Co-op.

The Co-op starts in sem 3 and the rule is that if i want to change my program i have to do it before semester 2 ends.so as you said, if i change my program i won't get to do Co-op anyway, contrary to what you stated as to do the Co-op and change back to 2 year.

so what do you think? should i change it to a 2 year program?

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012
Aarav said:

OR

And also, supposing as soon as i get my 3 year work permit, i move to saskatchewan and meet the requirement to apply for PR by doing 1 year of job in any field, how soon can i get my PR? (assuming all goes well.i know i've put a lot of hypothetical assumptions but just for the sakes of clearing my concern :-\)

Note:transferring wouldn't be a problem since the first year is common but the condition is that i have to do it before the start of sem 3.

EDIT: my priority is to get into a university and PR ofcourse.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012

Aarav said:
dbss, i'm already studying in a 3 year computer program( semester 1) and i wish to change it to a 2 year program (the ones i have mentioned in the topic outline) as the work permit is same anyway.the only difference is that the 2 year program doesnt have Co-op.

The Co-op starts in sem 3 and the rule is that if i want to change my program i have to do it before semester 2 ends.so as you said, if i change my program i won't get to do Co-op anyway, contrary to what you stated as to do the Co-op and change back to 2 year.

so what do you think? should i change it to a 2 year program?
This is what the college says...try talking to Roderick Turner talk to him or talk to Diana...they will help you if you need co-op...you probably have not met the graduates of the program yet...try talking to your seniors...as far as 2 years is concerned you should do that if you want to go to university...but think clearly....going back to school after you start working is hard..

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012

dbss said:
This is what the college says...try talking to Roderick Turner talk to him or talk to Diana...they will help you if you need co-op...you probably have not met the graduates of the program yet...try talking to your seniors...as far as 2 years is concerned you should do that if you want to go to university...but think clearly....going back to school after you start working is hard..
oh yeah Diana is there.but my main concern is not the co-op.but whether is it advisable to change to a 2 year program from my 3 year program?would it substabtially impact my academic profile in the job market? because i have observed that most international students go here for a 2 year program anyway but that is not my reason for changing the course.i want to change the course because it would cost a fortune and above all a longer time comparatively to graduate as i stated earlier that like many others i plan to move to Saskatchewan and do my 1 year due of job in any field so that i can apply for PR as earliest also by then i might have garnered enough money to get into a university..and i agree on your last line that it is difficult to turn back to school once you start earning the moolah..but so far upon my observation and being a party to various open discussions, i've been led to believe that its the university degrees that matter so i wish to tread that road knowing the kind of hindrances of any form it poses.

amankaur

Star Member
Sep 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
20-11-2012

Aarav said:
hey aman, thanks for the response.

so what do you suggest? should i change my program to two year or keep the one i am in?
change it and get admssion in two year course,,

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
Technician course won't help you in credit transfer to university. Your current course will help.

Just a opinion.

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012
aman singh said:
Technician course won't help you in credit transfer to university. Your current course will help.

Just a opinion.
actually i'd get credits but they'd be less in number compared to a 3 year program.you think though that it'd help me in getting a job?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
technician course is very open minded in terms of the technologies that you would learn..you will know little little of everything....and I agree with you that the number of credits given to you would be less for a two year program....if you are so sure that you will go to SK, why don't you go now?

I heard that the graduates from SK still need to work for only 6 months to be eligible...

Aarav

Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-2012
dbss said:
technician course is very open minded in terms of the technologies that you would learn..you will know little little of everything....and I agree with you that the number of credits given to you would be less for a two year program....if you are so sure that you will go to SK, why don't you go now?

I heard that the graduates from SK still need to work for only 6 months to be eligible...
Didn't know graduates from SK only need to work for 6 months but having said that, it'd have its expenses to live there and eating and everything et cetera while here i live with my family relatives and save it.On that note, are you in Seneca too? if so, at which campus?