+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I file for EE now or after my birthday ?

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Hi .. I want to file for an Express Entry about late July this year, however in January I'll turn 30, meaning that my points total will decrease by 5 then. So if I file by late July, with a points total of about 460 ~ 470, how likely is it that I'll receive an ITA before January ? I ask because it's mentioned on CIC's ITA page that if your points decrease between when you file for EE and when you file for PR (after receiving ITA), there's a chance your application might be rejected and the fee not refunded.

Or should I just apply after my next birthday in January ?

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadka said:
Hi .. I want to file for an Express Entry about late July this year, however in January I'll turn 30, meaning that my points total will decrease by 5 then. So if I file by late July, with a points total of about 460 ~ 470, how likely is it that I'll receive an ITA before January ? I ask because it's mentioned on CIC's ITA page that if your points decrease between when you file for EE and when you file for PR (after receiving ITA), there's a chance your application might be rejected and the fee not refunded.

Or should I just apply after my next birthday in January ?
File your application as soon as possible. Nobody knows how likely one will get an ITA as the cut off scores are unpredictable. If January comes and you still haven't received an ITA then CIC will automatically deduct 5 points from your CRS score. You don't have to manually deduct this yourself.

rj16

Star Member
May 19, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
It's an interesting dilemma.. I would also need to consider since I'm turning 30 in August.

Logic says you should be fine, because we cannot control age.

It could get complicated if your score is close to the cut-off limit.. what is your score?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Join EE pool as soon as you have all the documents ready. The system will calculate the score base on your birthday input and will adjust when it affects your CRS Point so there is no need to worry. I believe the ITA is locked in when you receive your ITA, so if your 30th birthday is after you receive ITA, you'd be fine even if you submit full application after you turned 30.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
rj16 said:
It's an interesting dilemma.. I would also need to consider since I'm turning 30 in August.

Logic says you should be fine, because we cannot control age.

It could get complicated if your score is close to the cut-off limit.. what is your score?
My score isn't finalized yet as I still have to take IELTS, however I took TOEFL a few months back. Converting those to IELTS (using ETS provided conversion chart), my estimated score is 478.

mf4361 said:
Join EE pool as soon as you have all the documents ready. The system will calculate the score base on your birthday input and will adjust when it affects your CRS Point so there is no need to worry. I believe the ITA is locked in when you receive your ITA, so if your 30th birthday is after you receive ITA, you'd be fine even if you submit full application after you turned 30.
But CIC warns that if your situation changes, you should decline the offer. But if you still go through, you may get refused and your fee won't be refunded. So although my age is out of my control :)p), it might create problems for me if my ITA arrives shortly before or after my birthday.

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadka said:
My score isn't finalized yet as I still have to take IELTS, however I took TOEFL a few months back. Converting those to IELTS (using ETS provided conversion chart), my estimated score is 478.

But CIC warns that if your situation changes, you should decline the offer. But if you still go through, you may get refused and your fee won't be refunded. So although my age is out of my control :)p), it might create problems for me if my ITA arrives shortly before or after my birthday.

Haven't you read the previous responses to your query or you just choose to ignore them? Becoming a year older after submitting your EOI is not an issue as the system automatically deducts 5 points from your CRS score assuming you're still yet to receive your ITA. However, if you become a year older after you receive your ITA that wouldn't be an issue as you were that age when you were invited. The examples CIC gave include, marriage, an additional member to your family etc. An increase to your age isn't a situational change because as you rightly pointed out, it's out of your control.

ezzkht

Aug 21, 2015
I have a similar situation. I got my documents ready, IELTS, education assessment and work experience letters. My problem is that right now I'm 37 years old and my birthday is on the 8th of September. My points are exactly 67. So if I become 38 I would lose one point, which makes me not eligible for immigration under the federal skilled worker program. Any clues? Right now I am completing my profile on EE so that I can enter the pool ASAP. Would cic kick me out of pool when I become one year older? Please advice. Thanks.

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
ahmadka said:

Don't worry you don't have to decline, CIC will automatically deduct points. It won't create problem if ITA arrives before your birthday, have all of your documents ready, apply when you get the ITA :)

maishou

May 1, 2015
Exemption to section A11.2:
candidates whose birthday occurs after they receive an ITA
An applicant may have a birthday after they receive an ITA but before they submit their e-APR. Their change in age may lower their CRS score below the lowest score in the round of invitations. It may also result in the applicant no longer meeting the minimum requirements of the FSWC and, consequently, no longer meeting the MEC, resulting in a refusal based on section A11.2.
When a change in age results in the candidate no longer meeting the MEC or having their recalculated CRS points score fall below the lowest points score in that round of invitations, officers should consider applying the public policy to exempt applicants for permanent residence from certain age-based requirements between invitation to apply and application, based on section A25.2. This consideration can result in an exemption from the refusal of an application under section A11.2.
This public policy also grants an exemption to applicants who may be refused for failing to meet FSWC program requirements when their birthday occurs between the ITA and e-APR.

muxican

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-02-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-02-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
ezzkht said:
I have a similar situation. I got my documents ready, IELTS, education assessment and work experience letters. My problem is that right now I'm 37 years old and my birthday is on the 8th of September. My points are exactly 67. So if I become 38 I would lose one point, which makes me not eligible for immigration under the federal skilled worker program. Any clues? Right now I am completing my profile on EE so that I can enter the pool ASAP. Would cic kick me out of pool when I become one year older? Please advice. Thanks.
CIC won't kick you out of the pool but, since you no longer qualify for any immigration stream (CEC, FSW, or FST), you won't get invited to apply.

If you do get invited to apply while you are 37 and then turn 38 before you submit your application, here is what my ITA said:

"Note: If you had a birthday since we sent you this invitation, and the change to your age decreases your points total, this will not cause us to refuse your application for permanent residence."

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
muxican said:
CIC won't kick you out of the pool but, since you no longer qualify for any immigration stream (CEC, FSW, or FST), you won't get invited to apply.
Actually, OP will be kicked out of the pool. Once their points drop below 67, their profile will become ineligible.

muxican

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-02-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-02-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
istari said:
Actually, OP will be kicked out of the pool. Once their points drop below 67, their profile will become ineligible.
True, sorry. I had something else in mind.

ezzkht

Aug 21, 2015
I do understand that :(
One last question : I am thinking to take the IELTS exam again in order to enhance my resulr, however, if I got less points than before, can I just keep my previous results in EE profile and discard the new ones?

Reactions: Asib

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ezzkht said:
I do understand that :(
One last question : I am thinking to take the IELTS exam again in order to enhance my resulr, however, if I got less points than before, can I just keep my previous results in EE profile and discard the new ones?
Yes.