+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I cancel my study permit when I withdraw from school to instead apply for PGWP ?

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
I have done a 1 year program and I was planning to go back to school for a second program of 1 year.
I have changed my mind and I would like to apply for PGWP instead.

I already received an extension for my study permit for the second program. Shall I inform immigration that I have withdrawn from school in my PGWP application?

I have tried to contact immigration by phone but I get the high volume response. I really need advise right now

Thank you

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
Sorry I just realised that there is no study permit document to upload in the PGWP application.

I will just apply as you recommended @bongoman Thank you

Anyone who is in the same situation or want more info can look at this page
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html

What can I do if I defer my program’s start date or if I’m no longer studying?

If you do not actively pursue your studies for more than 150 days, but wish to remain in Canada:

• Your deferred studies or leave from studies must be approved by your DLI.
  • You can apply as a visitor or a worker
    • we recommend reading the instruction guide first, it will help you submit a complete application.
  • For more information, we invite you to visit the Assessing study permit conditions page.

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Sorry I just realised that there is no study permit document to upload in the PGWP application.

I will just apply as you recommended @bongoman Thank you

Anyone who is in the same situation or want more info can look at this page
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html

What can I do if I defer my program’s start date or if I’m no longer studying?

If you do not actively pursue your studies for more than 150 days, but wish to remain in Canada:

• Your deferred studies or leave from studies must be approved by your DLI.
  • You can apply as a visitor or a worker
    • we recommend reading the instruction guide first, it will help you submit a complete application.
  • For more information, we invite you to visit the Assessing study permit conditions page.
Dont understand, you need to upload the study period during pgwp application if you have a valid one.

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
Dont understand, you need to upload the study period during pgwp application if you have a valid one.
In the field
If applicable provide the document number of the most recent Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit or Temporary Resident Permit Issued to you.

Should l put the extended study permit number?

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
HEY I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION, please respond to this. I did the exact same thing as you, I no logner wish to take up the second course. Did u get your pgwp approved?
Yes my pgwp was approved. You don't have to do anything about your study permit. Just withdraw from the school. You can apply for pgwp

vinodk7000

Jun 5, 2019
Ok that is a relief to hear, I have already applied for pgwp and also withdrawn from school, however my request for withdrawal is still processing, do u think it will cause complications?

Also I was working full time after graduation since I was following the rule of "allowed to work full time if starting program within 150 calendar days".

So do u think that will back fire? since u cannot work after graduating until u apply for pgwp same day. I am paranoid.
Hi buddy I'm in similar situation where I was working full time based on 150 days rule. Now I want to withdraw from second course because I was about get a job. Any inputs from your side.

doc_sky

Apr 28, 2022
Hello, even I am in a similar situation, I have worked full time in between my 2 courses,(graduated from first course) but now i wish to withdraw and apply for pgwp, is it safe to apply? Kindly suggest plz.

doc_sky

Apr 28, 2022
Hi buddy I'm in similar situation where I was working full time based on 150 days rule. Now I want to withdraw from second course because I was about get a job. Any inputs from your side.
Hello, even I am in a similar situation, I have worked full time in between my 2 courses,(graduated from first course) but now i wish to withdraw and apply for pgwp, is it safe to apply? Kindly suggest plz.