+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I buy PRIVATE INSURANCE if I'm temporarily flying to Toronto for a month?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Hi everyone.
I got my PR card in Feb 2020, and I'm flying to Toronto and staying there for about a month in August.
I won't be settle down yet: I'm planning on flying back to Detroit in early September.
I'll be moving to Windsor, ON later in the year, so even if I apply for OHIP in August, I'll lose eligibility...

Here are my questions:
1. Because the 90-day requirement is lifted, that means that I can apply for OHIP when I fly in August? Even if I haven't established residence yet?
2. If #1 is possible, will my OHIP be automatically cancelled if I leave Canada for about 2 to 3 months?
3. Will I be eligible for OHIP again if it gets cancelled?

OR

Should I just look for a private insurance for the month of August that I'll be in Toronto?
If anyone has any recommendations about insurance companies, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. We don't know if the 90-day requirement will come back soon.
1a. There's a second requirement in OHIP: it is that you will reside in Ontario for 150+ days after registration. If you arrive, need medical attention, and then leave, you may find yourself responsible for costs.
2. Technically, that is the rule. Practically, I don't know.
3. Yes, if you re-establish residence.

You should purchase private insurance just in case. A small investment is worth it - though remember the purpose of traveler insurance is to get you well enough to leave and return to your country of origin,

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
1. We don't know if the 90-day requirement will come back soon.
1a. There's a second requirement in OHIP: it is that you will reside in Ontario for 150+ days after registration. If you arrive, need medical attention, and then leave, you may find yourself responsible for costs.
2. Technically, that is the rule. Practically, I don't know.
3. Yes, if you re-establish residence.

You should purchase private insurance just in case. A small investment is worth it - though remember the purpose of traveler insurance is to get you well enough to leave and return to your country of origin,
Alright.
Thanks for the answer.
I guess I'll just get some traveler's insurance.

Any recommendations?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Alright.
Thanks for the answer.
I guess I'll just get some traveler's insurance.

Any recommendations?
You don’t qualify to apply for OHIP yet. Most doing soft landing don't. You will have coverage for covid. At least currently visitors do. There is info listing various policies online but some examples are Manulife, blue cross, etc.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
You don’t qualify to apply for OHIP yet. Most doing soft landing don't. You will have coverage for covid. At least currently visitors do. There is info listing various policies online but some examples are Manulife, blue cross, etc.
Alright. Thanks