+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for PR renewal while waiting for citizenship test?

farnardo

Jul 14, 2012
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2014
Hello there
I've applied for citizenship application May 2014 my ecas shows 3 lines only, don't know how do they work at mississauga office
a lot of people who applied in may and even after have received there test and oath as well.
My pr is going to expire in 10 days and really hoping to have a test note soon.

My question is do I have to apply for renewal no matter what or just wait for the test ? Will there be any problem if I didn't renew it?

I'll appreciate ur advice

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
farnardo said:
Hello there
I've applied for citizenship application May 2014 my ecas shows 3 lines only, don't know how do they work at mississauga office
a lot of people who applied in may and even after have received there test and oath as well.
My pr is going to expire in 10 days and really hoping to have a test note soon.

My question is do I have to apply for renewal no matter what or just wait for the test ? Will there be any problem if I didn't renew it?

I'll appreciate ur advice
You don't have to renew it. My PR Card had been expired for nearly 6 months before I applied to renew it.

It's a good idea to have a valid PR Card, however, because 1) despite the card being a travel document allowing PRs to return to Canada, it's been used by other government agencies as proof of valid PR status in Canada, and also 2) there could be an emergency abroad which would require us to leave the country temporarily and depending of where we are, a PRTD might be a hassle and take too much time.

It's totally up to you.

farnardo

Jul 14, 2012
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2014
Pr processing time is crazy don't want to start that Hassel then the citizenship test pops up , plus if I did I think I have to update my citizenship application! Really fed up with their slow routine

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
farnardo said:
Pr processing time is crazy don't want to start that Hassel then the citizenship test pops up , plus if I did I think I have to update my citizenship application! Really fed up with their slow routine
Regular applications currently have been taking way too much time. Also, if a need to leave the country unexpectedly shows up, one can always apply for urgent processing. It took ~2 weeks of processing for my PR Card renewal back in May.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It all depend if you have plans about travelling abroad. If yes, so you'd apply for renew your PR card as you don't know when you'll receive your citizenship.

If no plans of trips, the answer is a no.