+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Landing in Toronto to activate PR

Rainmaker123

Mar 31, 2015
Hi one and all,

Hope all are well.

I desperately require your guidance and clarification on the following please. I have recently received my COPR, far earlier than I could have possibly expected, and although I am not ready to reside in Canada just yet, I intend to fly to Toronto to activate my PR status before heading straight to NYC to meet with my wife before returning back to London.

I do not know where to start in terms of how to figure out as to the best way to go about this, but I have a few questions which I would be extremely grateful if you could provide answers on:

1- Is there any problem with this method?
2- Should I look to remain in Toronto overnight as opposed to booking a flight to NY on the same day in case of any delays in the processing?
3- Do I have to cross through Immigration and leave the airport to activate the PR?
4- How important is the B14 form.... or the B4 form if that is it's correct name?
5- Will my passport be held by immigration for any period of time for processing purposes?
6- Will there be an interview of sorts?

Any insight and guidance which you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and thank you as always for your continued support!

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Rainmaker123 said:
Hi one and all,

Hope all are well.

I desperately require your guidance and clarification on the following please. I have recently received my COPR, far earlier than I could have possibly expected, and although I am not ready to reside in Canada just yet, I intend to fly to Toronto to activate my PR status before heading straight to NYC to meet with my wife before returning back to London.

I do not know where to start in terms of how to figure out as to the best way to go about this, but I have a few questions which I would be extremely grateful if you could provide answers on:

1- Is there any problem with this method?
2- Should I look to remain in Toronto overnight as opposed to booking a flight to NY on the same day in case of any delays in the processing?
3- Do I have to cross through Immigration and leave the airport to activate the PR?
4- How important is the B14 form.... or the B4 form if that is it's correct name?
5- Will my passport be held by immigration for any period of time for processing purposes?
6- Will there be an interview of sorts?

Any insight and guidance which you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and thank you as always for your continued support!
I guess my first question is why are you activating your PR now? Unless you are getting to the point where you are hitting the deadline to land, which would be printed on your COPR, there's no need to do it just to do it...

But, if you want to land and get it over with, then here are the answers (to the best of my knowledge) to your questions:

1) - No, not a problem
2) - no need to do this.
3) - you will have to go through customs, just like any other time you would come into Canada from another country. And to answer No. 6, yes, there is an interview of sorts, but it's very basic...things like verifying your address in Canada, any change to your status since your application, convicted of any crimes, etc. It's not a long process, but definitely build in extra time between flights. And that leads to...
4) - The B4 form, which they will ask for when you come through customs. And yes, this is important! You will have this one and ONLY chance to declare what will be coming eventually when your personal items arrive in Canada. Anything that is not declared on this form is potentially subject to duty when it does eventually come into Canada. It's a big detail for landing and you will want to take time to prepare your documents carefully so when your personal items do arrive, they clear customs without issue.
5) - No, they will not hold your passport.

But like I said, if you have plenty of time before the deadline to land on your COPR, I would just wait - just go directly to NYC, meet your wife and head back to London then land when you are good and ready.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
1 - No problem
2 - You can never predict how long these things might take (long lines, etc). Honestly, it might be a good idea to book a hotel near the airport and stay one night at least
3 - Yes, basically go through immigration when you "land" and become a PR. You don't need to physically leave the airport, you become a PR after you do your official landing at immigration.
4 - The B4 is your chance to declare all the stuff you are bringing into Canada as a new immigrant without having to pay any duties or whatever on it. This includes stuff you plan on bringing along in the future. So yes, it can be pretty important depending on your circumstances:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-b4-goods-to-followaccompanying-list-how-to-t44793.0.html
5 - No
6 - There is a short and easy interview (mostly confirming information) that should just take a few minutes.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
What about the PR card? Doesn't the person landing need to provide a Canadian address that the PR card can be sent to, and then on their subsequent return to Canada, either have the PR card or a PR travel document with them in order to enter Canada? (Unless crossing the border in a private car from the US.)

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
elokuu said:
What about the PR card? Doesn't the person landing need to provide a Canadian address that the PR card can be sent to, and then on their subsequent return to Canada, either have the PR card or a PR travel document with them in order to enter Canada? (Unless crossing the border in a private car from the US.)
Yes, they do AND yes, they do have to have one or the other. No need to book a hotel, you probably won't need one and if you do, arrange it then . . . or stay with your spouse.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
truesmile said:
Yes, they do AND yes, they do have to have one or the other. No need to book a hotel, you probably won't need one and if you do, arrange it then . . . or stay with your spouse.
If you have a visa-exempt passport, then you can come back on the strength of your visa-exempt passport. However, by March you will need an eTA unless you are American.

Oleander

Mar 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-13-2015
Med's Done....
07/07/2015
Regarding the B4 form - can I assume his wife will also be able to bring items in duty free with her own B4 form? So if he inadvertently forgets to include something on his form, she can include on her form? I'm trying to get a sense if it's important to declare on the husbands (who is activating his prc) form or if it's okay to declare on the Canadian spouse form as it is all the same family?

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Oleander said:
Regarding the B4 form - can I assume his wife will also be able to bring items in duty free with her own B4 form? So if he inadvertently forgets to include something on his form, she can include on her form? I'm trying to get a sense if it's important to declare on the husbands (who is activating his prc) form or if it's okay to declare on the Canadian spouse form as it is all the same family?
Sure, that would work as long as the spouse is coming back to re-settle in Canada too. You raised a point I hadn't really thought about, but in the case of the original poster, it sounds like both are living outside of Canada right now, he would land, then they will both return from (sounds like) the U.K., where she would have a B4 form as well where things could be added if they were missed.

I'm still not clear why the original poster is bothering to land now, unless the expiration date of his COPR is coming soon.

Rainmaker123

Mar 31, 2015
Thank you for your detailed and informative responses, extremely helpful.

So I aim to activate now due to the fact that the timing at the moment with regards to my work situation suits and is the easiest time to do so prior to the COPR's expiration date.

I have booked to stay overnight, just in case, rather safe than sorry in this situation.

Now.... this B4 form! I will not be flying there on this occasion to establish a residence there, it is merely to activate my PR status, before returning to London with my wife shortly after. This being the case, is the B4 form important now given my circumstance? I have read different perspectives from different people in this regard. As I am not establishing my residency, I will simply arrive there with a carry on. Explaining the situation to the immigration officer at the airport should allow me the opportunity to submit a duly completed B4 form when I actually do return to establish residency there no?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Based on at least one experiences posted here I would be careful with that story . . . "I am not establishing my residency now . . . ". Now not every story is the same but I recall one applicant being told "then reapply when you are ready to live here", and their application denied at that point.

Just land and submit a B4 form, no lengthy explanation required, you are allowed to do so.

katia23

Mar 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-15
Doc's Request.
08-10 -15
AOR Received.
22-06-15
File Transfer...
10-06-15
Med's Done....
31-01-15
Passport Req..
13-01-16
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-16
LANDED..........
29-01-16
truesmile said:
Based on at least one experiences posted here I would be careful with that story . . . "I am not establishing my residency now . . . ". Now not every story is the same but I recall one applicant being told "then reapply when you are ready to live here", and their application denied at that point.

Just land and submit a B4 form, no lengthy explanation required, you are allowed to do so.
I agree, not every story is the same. I was so worried about this because I can not move immediately to Canada until August, and someone else mentioned to me the same case of the refusal at landing. But I landed last Friday and everything was smooth. I even said that I am moving in August and the immigration officer was OK with it. He even told me not to bother with trying to track the time I spend with my husband outside Canada because I will be moving 'soon' and I will be able to meet the 2 out of 5 year residence rule, then he just told me to apply for the SIN when I can and bring the B4 forms to another officer, which was really fast, they did not even check it that much. So at the end, depends on each case, I don't know the circumstances of the person that was 'rejected' :)