+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sharing our experience re dependents, refusal, rehabilitation etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PREGNANCY

At this point I was very pregnant, with our daughter. It was almost 2 years waiting, and I told the officer that I strongly desired to give birth in Canada, with my husband and our son by my side. He actually advised me to go ahead and wait for my husband there. I couldn't do that. We're a very close family. Our separation when I I went to Spain was traumatic for my son, who yearned for his dad too badly. I couldn't do that to him again.

Still waiting

Our daughter was born. Shortly after my husband had retinal detachment and almost lost his vision due to horrible experiences in public hospitals. We used the money we were saving for Canada to pay for a private operation. Then he couldn't work for a few months. I had just given birth and couldn't work much. We were losing money quick. I was robbed at gun point and kidnapped in a fake taxi. I survived, but I wanted to get my family the heck out of there, and back to my home. I missed my parents too much. I missed my friends. I missed Canada. I was READY, ready, ready to move back home with my family. We were living as cheaply as possible, to save our last savings for Canada.

Divorce

His ex finally agreed to divorce, i.e. agreed to what little we had left, and they switched to a simple process for mutually agreed divorces. I took in paperwork proving the 3 month process had begun. At this point, we were really running out of money. But I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel, with the divorce, with my husband's successful operation and eye site coming back, and believing that we'd be off to Canada in any moment.

REFUSAL, INADMISSIBLE TO CANADA

Then we received the refusal letter, due to criminal inadmissibility. Using a fake identity to enter Japan was considered an offence.

I sobbed. My son was shaken by seeing me sob. Not one time that I had gone to the Embassy did they hint that the visa would be refused. Again, total SHOCK. And pain, as you can imagine. Through the tears we noticed that a second letter said he could apply for criminal inadmissibility after 5 years of having left Japan. There was a sliver of hope, but at that time, before the 5 years, we had to change our life plans.

A month after this was our marriage (FINALLY!), so things were looking up.

Luckily with my EU passport we could come to the UK. We told ALL the truth in his application for an entry permit, both Japan and the Canadian refusal. After only 2 weeks his permit was approved. We are extremely grateful. But we can't talk badly about Canada, because their strictness with immigration is beneficial to society. They are protecting their citizens, although my husband would never do anything wrong ever gain. But I can't judge.

We came here with our LAST savings, almost starting from zero. Here in England my husband and kids soon received their residency visas. I found work. Then the demand for my husband's amazing decorating skills took off. Now we run a business partnership and live a comfortable life. I don't take anything for granted anymore, and am always grateful.

When the 5 years passed, I put together an application for his criminal rehabilitation. I really wanted to visit my mom (my dad travels and visited us in Japan and here, but my mom can't travel), and she really wants to meet my husband, along with the kids. She has become frail, and we needed his admissibility.

REHABILITATION, ADMISSIBILITY

I worked on his application on my own. There wasn't much I could include, since he never had any charges or arrests or anything at all, anywhere. I just included the laws in Japan, equivalent laws in Canada. An article from an academic journal about the fake nikkei scam from Peru to Japan. A letter, explaining every single detail. By him, translated by me. And a cover letter by me. I think that's about it. I can't remember now. I sent it off in a November, expecting to not hear anything for at least a year. And just before Xmas, the next month, we received by email a letter declaring him admissible and eligible to apply for a visa!!!!! I screamed for joy. It was really such a great feeling.

Second application for pr

We were going to travel just to visit, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to move to Canada. This place has been wonderful to us. But I want to raise my kids in Canada. And I want to be near my family. Finally, we decided to apply for his pr, instead of going to visit. We're aiming for Ontario, as it's more affordable than Vancouver, and I went to uni in Toronto. And a few more reasons.

PSYCHIATRIC EXAM, TRANSLATION ERROR

This time his daughters are adults. One is over the dependent age, and the other is under. She cooperated with us and went for her medical. They found scars on her arms and asked her about it. She confided that she had tried to commit suicide as a child, after abuse by a male family member. We had NO IDEA. And she had kept this a secret all these years, even from her mother. It really saddened us. We received an email that she was to return to the medical centre. There they asked for a psychiatric report, with a deadline. This turned out to include several sessions. Public hospitals were taking forever to get appointments, so she went for a private option. This also took long, and she received the report just a couple of days before the due date. We ordered the official translation. She took it in. Then she was called by the clinic. There was an error in the translation (and acronym was translated as is, without saying what it stood for). We managed to get that fixed and sent in on the due date. Phew. Make sure you always check translations thoroughly.

It's really tragic what his daughter has been through, but thanks to Canadian immigration, she was able to release this episode and talk about it with both her father and a psychiatrist. Thankfully she no longer has suicidal thoughts.

CHANGING A NON-ACCOMPANYING DEPENDENT TO ACCOMPANYING

After much discussion, we decided to do this. And thanks to advice in this forum! We're hoping for his daughter to join us in Canada as soon as possible. I sent a message to the Embassy, and they replied with requested documents.

PRE-ARRIVAL LETTER

The first time around we never received this elusive letter, because we didn't receive the elusive visa/pr. Last week I received an email. It was one of those "donotreply" emails that I almost deleted, thinking it was yet another email from the bank! Luckily I checked, as it was from cic. It said we had a message in gckey. I checked and there was the pre-arrival letter. I shed a bucket full of tears. It's been an emotional roller coaster since 2012 when I first sent in an application. I'm trying not to burst into further tears of joy, until we get the pp request and know for sure.

This is where we are at, and I knew I had to share all of this now, just in case another refusal comes, and I wouldn't want to recall all this. This forum has helped me tons throughout the years so I hope my post can be of help too.

Btw, I wonder IF he gets pr if I should train to be an immigration consultant in Canada, with my wealth of experience? :D If anyone has any tips or info about that, let me know. I wonder if there's too much competition. Anyway, if he gets pr, I will start career planning for Canada. :)
I remember your story with your step-daughter. Glad it has worked out.

Oh, one more thing!!!

RETINAL DETACHMENT AND MYOPIA

So, this time around, for his medical they inquired about his eye sight and retina operation. They asked for documents from the local hospital, where he has been for check ups. My husband is extremely short sighted and has high astigmatism. But with high prescription glasses he can see pretty well.

Since we received the pre-arrival letter, I'm guessing that his eye sight is not an issue. This also confirms what I had read in the forums here.
No, not an issue.

krystianjess

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
This was beautiful and heart warming to read. It proves that even a refusal can be turned around!!

My husband's application is delayed now due to my husband's non-accompanying dependant. His son's mother gave us an extremely hard time getting him an ID to even get his son's medical done. It's been such a stressful process.. but the medical was finally done and we now are waiting to hear back from the London Visa Office. In December they also sent us a letter stating we didn't supply enough evidence I would be willing to move back to Canada once my husband is approved. (I was living in the UK with him) It was the hardest decision we've ever made, but I moved back to Canada to wait for him (currently pregnant as well) just to prove to immigration I 100% was willing to move back. The hardest thing we've ever done is go through this process, now essentially forcing us to be apart.

Best of luck to you... good karma is most definitely coming your way. :)

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
This was beautiful and heart warming to read. It proves that even a refusal can be turned around!!

My husband's application is delayed now due to my husband's non-accompanying dependant. His son's mother gave us an extremely hard time getting him an ID to even get his son's medical done. It's been such a stressful process.. but the medical was finally done and we now are waiting to hear back from the London Visa Office. In December they also sent us a letter stating we didn't supply enough evidence I would be willing to move back to Canada once my husband is approved. (I was living in the UK with him) It was the hardest decision we've ever made, but I moved back to Canada to wait for him (currently pregnant as well) just to prove to immigration I 100% was willing to move back. The hardest thing we've ever done is go through this process, now essentially forcing us to be apart.

Thank you and yes!

OMG, I feel for you. Wow, I can just imagine how hard a decision that was for you, and how hard it must be being apart. I sincerely hope your husband will receive pr before the baby is born. It's awful being stressed while pregnant. Take super care of yourself. Keep me / us updated!

Reactions: krystianjess

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

Update:

We've been asked for new police certificates from Peru. It's another paperwork hassle, but.... Is this the absolute last stage before approval? Does this mean that the hurdles are definitely all out of the way, that these have been approved: me the sponsor living abroad, and his daughter's psychiatric exam?

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Leaving more info for anyone searching, now or in the future.

POLICE CERTIFICATE FROM PERU

You must get along with the police cert, JUDICIAL and PENAL certs as well.

These DON'T need to be signed by the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.

They only need CERTIFIED translations, NOT official.

If the applicant is outside Peru, they need to set up an appointment at the Peruvian embassy and prepare Carta de Poder for each solicitude. Then send them to the designated person in Peru, who will get the certs.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018

I just realized your husband has been approved. Congrats! I hope he makes it there before the baby is born. Anyway, terrific news!

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Pre arrival is almost always a good sign. I would wait until Decision Made before you jump in joy. But I pray you get it and soon too
We got DM today. Does that pretty much mean PPR is next? Or could it still be a refusal? I'm trying to find into in the forum, but there's not much.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
My husband has received PPR!! It's a miracle, with all the hurdles we faced, since 2012.

Anything is possible. DON'T GIVE UP until you've tried your best!!!

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who replied to my questions and/or commented. So many helpful and concerned people here! I am grateful. Best wishes to you all.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
Congratulations

Reactions: chelseam

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
My husband has received PPR!! It's a miracle, with all the hurdles we faced, since 2012.

Anything is possible. DON'T GIVE UP until you've tried your best!!!

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who replied to my questions and/or commented. So many helpful and concerned people here! I am grateful. Best wishes to you all.
Hi sorry for the late wishes but this is amazing news. I feel as happy knowing you have your ppr as I did when I received mine. All the best with your life in Canada and wishing all happiness after such hard times. :)