+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shall we apply for Canadian Citizenship before or after the birth of the child?

abedi555

Star Member
Feb 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NYVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
20 JAN 2012
Med's Done....
7 FEB 2012 RCVD BY OTAWWA ON 24 FEB
Interview........
20 JAN 2012
Passport Req..
16 APRIL 2012 SENT ON 23 APRIL
VISA ISSUED...
visa for family issued on 25 april and for me on 10 may
LANDED..........
Thank you canvis2006 for your reply. You are right, having baby born in Canada is an ideal thing. However, my wife expects family and relatives to be around at the time of delivery. So, we are planning to have child birth in India. We are very much interested in Canadian citizenship. I understand that I will have to sponsor child after getting citizenship. However, what if, child is born after application and before I get citizenship? Will this event delay the process of getting Citizenship?
Yes this will delay the process for application if you are not present for test/ interview. It's important to be in Canada as additional documents or fingerprints may be required and these are to be submitted in timely manner

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
That’s true. Having baby here is easier than overseas. The baby will be canadian citizen automatically and you can apply afterwards. Then you can bring the baby in India when you are all citizens
People are underestimating the value of having a lot of family support nearby right after the birth of a child. It is not trivial and clearly the OP understands that.

Jun 27, 2018
With all due respect to your opinions, I would like to say that delivering baby in India is not an emotional decision for us rather practical. We both love and respect India and Canada equally. My own preference is to delivering baby in Canada as it will be very simple, easy and risk averse from immigration stand point. However, my wife feels that she will be more comfortable if her family and my family is with her at the time of delivery. She is looking for care and attention from family back home and my reasoning is totally from practicality perspective. For me what she thinks and feels matters the most. Also, my family or hers will not be able to come to Canada on visitors visa at the time of delivery due to unavoidable circumstances. But, she is slowly getting convinced to plan delivery in Canada :) I am just hoping for the best

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Whatever you decide, it's no one's business to tell you what you and your wife should do regarding your kid's delivery. A strictly personal decision you don't need to explain or justify.

Good luck, and congrats! :)

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Whatever you decide, it's no one's business to tell you what you and your wife should do regarding your kid's delivery. A strictly personal decision you don't need to explain or justify.

Good luck, and congrats! :)
Yes, that's true but why would someone come on a forum such as this and ask for people's opinions? If you choose to come online to talk about your personal affairs and ask for opinions, you should expect just that... opinions.

Jun 27, 2018
Yes, that's true but why would someone come on a forum such as this and ask for people's opinions? If you choose to come online to talk about your personal affairs and ask for opinions, you should expect just that... opinions.
Thanks Joshua1! I guess this forum is for asking immigration related questions and getting opinions. I do not think I talked about my personal affairs. I just put a scenario in-front of you all so that you can understand my situation and give me opinion accordingly. I kept it very generic and did not talk private things. I am not offended by any of the answers. I am very grateful to you all. As many other challenges surfaced, we have decided to plan baby's birth in Canada. Thanks!

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
We are expecting our first child this fall. Our citizenship application was sent in Oct 2017 and has been in process since Nov 23 2017.

I'm thinking of asking for faster processing through webform with the reason of stressful 3rd trimester.

Is it a good idea / can it backfire and push the test dates further?

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
Thanks Joshua1! I guess this forum is for asking immigration related questions and getting opinions. I do not think I talked about my personal affairs. I just put a scenario in-front of you all so that you can understand my situation and give me opinion accordingly. I kept it very generic and did not talk private things. I am not offended by any of the answers. I am very grateful to you all. As many other challenges surfaced, we have decided to plan baby's birth in Canada. Thanks!
I just wanted to say that I understand your wife's situation. I assume this is your first child, right? Many new mothers are anxious about everything and want family by their side. It's understandable. But I am here to tell you, from personal experience, that everything will be alright.

My son was born not even a year after I became a PR. I had no friends and no family. I was scared that I will not be able to handle it. But you know what? Everything turned out ok. For some reason, after my son was born, my maternal instincts kicked in and all of a sudden I knew how to take care of a newborn. My husband was great too, we were taking turns waking up in the middle of the night to feed the baby. And looking back, it was one of the most wonderful experiences we had as a couple. It united us even more, it made us appreciate each other more.

There are a few pieces of advice I can give you to make your life easier in the first 3 months (those are the hardest).

1. Join a prenatal class (they are inexpensive and usually are held at a local college) - just google prenatal classes in your area. You will learn many things that will help you prepare for labor and delivery. Also, you could make new friends, couples that are going through the same thing as you. Some of my best family friends right now are people my husband and I met at our prenatal class.

2. There are grocery stores that deliver (we used Save on Foods). You just go online, choose your groceries and they come to your door. This was a lifesaver for us. Also, take out food when we were too tired to cook.

3. The more difficult period is the first 3 months, but that goes by so quickly. The arrival of a child is so wonderful and exhausting at the same time, so I would think adding unnecessary stress is not what you want. As others have mentioned, the child would need to be sponsored and most likely not receive a tourist visa to come to Canada in the meantime.

Like I said, I went through the exact same thing, and to my surprise, I didn't really need my family. Sure, it would have made certain things easier (like cooking) but we survived. I wish you good luck with everything and please tell your wife that she is stronger than she thinks she is. I once read something that stuck with me: "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. The mother is absolutely something new."

Jun 27, 2018
I just wanted to say that I understand your wife's situation. I assume this is your first child, right? Many new mothers are anxious about everything and want family by their side. It's understandable. But I am here to tell you, from personal experience, that everything will be alright.

My son was born not even a year after I became a PR. I had no friends and no family. I was scared that I will not be able to handle it. But you know what? Everything turned out ok. For some reason, after my son was born, my maternal instincts kicked in and all of a sudden I knew how to take care of a newborn. My husband was great too, we were taking turns waking up in the middle of the night to feed the baby. And looking back, it was one of the most wonderful experiences we had as a couple. It united us even more, it made us appreciate each other more.

There are a few pieces of advice I can give you to make your life easier in the first 3 months (those are the hardest).

1. Join a prenatal class (they are inexpensive and usually are held at a local college) - just google prenatal classes in your area. You will learn many things that will help you prepare for labor and delivery. Also, you could make new friends, couples that are going through the same thing as you. Some of my best family friends right now are people my husband and I met at our prenatal class.

2. There are grocery stores that deliver (we used Save on Foods). You just go online, choose your groceries and they come to your door. This was a lifesaver for us. Also, take out food when we were too tired to cook.

3. The more difficult period is the first 3 months, but that goes by so quickly. The arrival of a child is so wonderful and exhausting at the same time, so I would think adding unnecessary stress is not what you want. As others have mentioned, the child would need to be sponsored and most likely not receive a tourist visa to come to Canada in the meantime.

Like I said, I went through the exact same thing, and to my surprise, I didn't really need my family. Sure, it would have made certain things easier (like cooking) but we survived. I wish you good luck with everything and please tell your wife that she is stronger than she thinks she is. I once read something that stuck with me: "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. The mother is absolutely something new."
First of all I apologize for responding so late. And I thank you very much Avadava! You gave us great moral support at the times when it's needed the most. Your post really empowered my wife when she read it. In order to avoid any immigration related complications, we have decided to deliver here in Canada. We are now very excited and mentally prepared for the arrival of our baby. Thanks again! Take care.

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Good decision to deliver here. When you immigrated here, you made a decision to be away from family, far from comforts to have their support nearby. There will be many such occasions where you will miss family - child can be sick, second child, any injury, etc. Remember. It’s tough to be immigrants... this is just another fact of that journey.